Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian price increased massively - $15,500. Cancelled, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole situation was handled horribly by Rivian. They really came off as out of touch. My wife had a deposit down for an R1s, but she's not sure if she'll keep her order even after the backtracking. She's lost all faith in the company.

The funny thing is, they could have announced new prices for new owners, raised prices on existing orders a few k, and most folks wouldn't have raised much of a fuss.

Reactions: McMoo and tm1v2
It is sad that Rivian did this, I’m keeping my reservation for the R1T but since it will be delivered in a couple of years I’m concerned that they will have another price increase for current reservation holders. We will see I hope they survive because I was very impressed with the vehicle when I saw it in person.

It is sad that Rivian did this, I’m keeping my reservation for the R1T but since it will be delivered in a couple of years I’m concerned that they will have another price increase for current reservation holders. We will see I hope they survive because I was very impressed with the vehicle when I saw it in person.
After this week's turn of events, I doubt they would do it again. Hopefully they just do steady (incremental) price increases for new orders as costs adjust over time and market conditions warrant... like Tesla.

The funny thing is, they could have announced new prices for new owners, raised prices on existing orders a few k, and most folks wouldn't have raised much of a fuss.
That would have made much more sense ! Give reservation holders some real benefit for paying that reservation fee early. Pushing the entire new orders cost increase onto even the longest-held reservations didn't make sense.

I received the “If you’d like to restore your preorder” email last night at 11:09 PM Eastern. I assume everyone else received it around the same time. There’s a “restore my order” button with a link that is valid until Mar 20. There is no “really cancel my order”. If they wait until the 20th to actually process the refund, they’ll miss the originally quoted 5-10 days to receive your refund payment.

Anyone revieved a follow-up email from Rivian yet?

Kind of doubting they'll honor the latest offer of reinstating orders at the original price.

I got several emails. One explaining that they made a mistake and will honor the original price. Then another that explained the dashboard will show the new pricing but that they are working to restore the old pricing for reservation holders prior to the 3/1 price updates.

You might think that, but the number of people attempting to sell Model S plaid and Model X reservations, even just here on this site, would say thats not accurate. I certainly hope rivian prevents these transfers, and hope tesla does too, sometime soon.

8 million excuses people give for this, like this one:

View attachment 776443

"I bought 3 reservations for my family members in anticipation they would buy them". Yeah, because your family members are people who can afford 100k Model Xs but somehow are not capable of making a car reservation themselves?

Heh.
No shortage of ambulance chasers in any industry

Was looking at the rivan forums, found this:

Paragraphs 79 and 80, they're using rivian forums and reddit in the complaint, haha

Paragraph 84 is where I thought about this thread, people are so pissed off that they're not going to monetize their reservations on a large scale:
Paul Morgan, 39-year-old California resident, expected Rivian’s prices to go up a
couple thousand dollars to account for inflation. When he received notice that the
price on his preordered Rivian SUV would increase $19,000, he drew the line.
“Within five seconds of seeing the new price I clicked the cancel button,” Mr.
Morgan said. Even after learning that his original price would be honored, he said
he didn’t reinstate his order

No shortage of ambulance chasers in any industry

Was looking at the rivan forums, found this:

Paragraphs 79 and 80, they're using rivian forums and reddit in the complaint, haha

Paragraph 84 is where I thought about this thread, people are so pissed off that they're not going to monetize their reservations on a large scale:
Paul Morgan, 39-year-old California resident, expected Rivian’s prices to go up a
couple thousand dollars to account for inflation. When he received notice that the
price on his preordered Rivian SUV would increase $19,000, he drew the line.
“Within five seconds of seeing the new price I clicked the cancel button,” Mr.
Morgan said. Even after learning that his original price would be honored, he said
he didn’t reinstate his order
Well that's silly. Mine went up by 15,500... they offered to reinstate it, hell yes I accepted. In the end I'm better off for it imo. Instant and considerable equity upon delivery.

Reactions: Cosmacelf