Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road surface feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All - just wanted to get observations from M3 owners on the amount of road surface feedback that is felt on the steering wheel. I appreciate surface feedback is felt on all cars however it’s quite pronounced on my MIC 2021 M3 LR standard 18 wheels. Do you feel your M3 picks up surface feedback any less of more than previous cars. I appreciate the M3 has a harder suspension set up that say a car with air suspension. Thanks

All - just wanted to get observations from M3 owners on the amount of road surface feedback that is felt on the steering wheel. I appreciate surface feedback is felt on all cars however it’s quite pronounced on my MIC 2021 M3 LR standard 18 wheels. Do you feel your M3 picks up surface feedback any less of more than previous cars. I appreciate the M3 has a harder suspension set up that say a car with air suspension. Thanks
Quite different from my own experience. I have no road surface feedback issues through the steering wheel at all. Early motoring journalist comments were more likely to refer to the steering feeling too isolated from the road I seem to remember! The car is certainly sensitive in terms of the transmission of road noise depending on the quality of the surface.

Get your wheels balanced. Tesla wheels are chocolate, hit a small pothole that an Audi would laugh at and it may buckle or flat spot your wheels. Best case a wheel weight worst case £70 to have it straightened.

Ask me how I know……

Nothing excessive in terms of feel feedback, but cabin noise is very sensitive to road surface. New smooth tarmac is like butter, older roughened roads and its pretty loud. Nothing more than a reasonable amount of physical feedback between them tho.

If on nice new roads you are getting juddering or any weird feelings, get balance and alignment checked, ideally by a trusted local (not Tesla, not kwikfit).

2019 m3LR on partly worn ps4's.

Nothing excessive in terms of feel feedback, but cabin noise is very sensitive to road surface. New smooth tarmac is like butter, older roughened roads and its pretty loud. Nothing more than a reasonable amount of physical feedback between them tho.

If on nice new roads you are getting juddering or any weird feelings, get balance and alignment checked, ideally by a trusted local (not Tesla, not kwikfit).

2019 m3LR on partly worn ps4's.
I like sunny days where you can hear the shadows along the road, not something I ever noticed before the Tesla. I can't say I really know what is meant by 'feedback' from the road surface.