Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road/wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in an S for nearly 2 months while the 3 was in for service and I was amazed how much louder the road noise is in the 3... Felt like I had switched over to an econobox... And I guess I did as far as Tesla product line is concerned.

My 2017 Volt was quieter than my current Model 3 SR+ at 60+ mph speeds. With the exception if the Volt was running the generator and I floored it then the Volt would be noisier. On all other metrics my SR+ is 10x better than the VOLT so I will put up with some wind noise.

I agree. It's a matter of context.

Wind/road noise is a LOT more than my BMW X3. It's quieter than the Honda that got replaced when I got my current cars.

It's not outrageous or anything.

And the sound system is light years better than my extra cost option Harmon Kardon speakers on the BMW.

1) The M3 is still one of the noisiest EV’s in its price range, also when compared to ICE at that price point.
The DIY seal kits have no significant impact on noise level. Tires seem to make the biggest difference. Check Tesla Bjorn on Youtube for various noise tests and comparisons.

2) I’m not aware of changes to the sound system (does doffer per trim level).

Rubber seals added properly on the doors and trunk lids can significantly reduce the noise level in the Model 3. I have two Model 3 and one of them is the early vin (less than 3000) LR RWD and the other one is a Oct 2018 Model 3 Performance. Before adding the rubber seals, I can tell that the Model 3 Performance is quieter than the LR RWD that I have. That could be due to difference in tire and suspension and maybe improvement by Tesla. After I installed the rubber seals, both cars were much quieter than before the installation. For my P3D+, I am getting high 60's to low 70's dBA at above 70 mph. Please see my video I got using Decibel X Pro on my iPhone.

(...) For my P3D+, I am getting high 60's to low 70's dBA at above 70 mph. Please see my video I got using Decibel X Pro on my iPhone.

Maybe I understand incorrectly but those noise levels seem pretty bad and are pretty much standard. I base this on testing of Bjorn so no personal test experience.
64EA1C22-B688-4B3E-A1E8-B2D3F71C8E54.jpeg

His test for soundproofing the M3P can be seen here:

I did my sound measurements with my iPhone X using Decibel X Pro using dBA and I don't know how it would correlate to Bjorn's measurements. I wish I had done the measurements before the installation and then it would have clearly show a reduction in the noise level at various speeds. And I have helped two of my friends doing the same set up and they both confirmed that their Model 3 is quieter now.

Please see the attached link for a chart of dBA level by osha.org.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/loud.html

60-70 dBA is between conversation 3-ft away to classroom chatter.

Last edited: