TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadside Service and replacement car while under repairs?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ezevphl, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

My delivery is in about a month and now I'm looking at insurance options.

I've generally had rental coverage through insurance and roadside assistance through AAA.

How would this work with a model 3 and is it automatically included from Tesla?

Since there are no non-Tesla shops that would work on the car, doesn't Tesla always provide a temporary replacement if its in the shop for some reason?

How does it work with Tesla Roadside assistance?

2. TT97

TT97 Member

It depends on the shop you are referring to?

For warranty issues/repairs, the car would need to go to a Service Center. At the SC, Tesla will provide you with a loaner (usually a Tesla, occasionally an ICE). Tesla provides complimentary Roadside Assistance for the duration of the warranty period.

If it is a body shop issue (accident), there are Tesla-approved shops but are independent. Tesla will not provide a loaner in those instances (and unfortunately, Teslas tend to stay longer at body shops as Tesla spare parts are in short supply - hopefully, this will change as more and more 3s are on the road).

• Informative x 3
  3. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

So basically no roadside assistance is needed as long as its under warranty.

Do the service centers normally do body work, or is that only at other shops?

4. TT97

TT97 Member

I don't believe they do any body work. I know they outsource any work that is needed pre-delivery so can't imagine they do any work at all.

No roadside assistance necessary for warranty issues - don't know if they provide roadside assistance in case of an accident (and hope to not find out). Hard to pass up the benefits of having AAA either way.

5. Snobun

Snobun Member

I kept my AAA membership because I was told if my car dies because I run out of charge, Tesla roadside assistance will not cover the tow, but AAA will. It never happened to me, but I want a backup just in case...

• Informative x 1
  6. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

FWIW many decent credit cards already provide free roadside assistance as a benefit (either for free for some of them, or for a small fee that's generally cheaper than a AAA membership unless you plan to use it repeatedly)

7. Snobun

Snobun Member

You’d also want to check how far they’d tow for free and to where. My 2 other ICE comes with roadside assistance too, but only to the “nearest dealership/service”, not to my home or other mechanic. One of my cc has coverage but only up to 20 miles. With AAA, I have up to 100 miles or the nearest service center, so it is a little more flexible.

8. RayK

RayK Member

Note that the 100 mile tow is a benefit of the Plus or Premier AAA membership. Basic membership allows for a 7 mile tow.

9. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

I'm pretty sure I have that on the card that I used for the Tesla deposit.

I think some of the insurance quotes came in quite a bit higher than what I was expecting so now I'm taking a closer look at all the options.

10. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Is Tesla going to provide loaners for Model 3 when at service station or body shop? I thought that might only be a perk if available for the MS and MXs. Can't see how they could afford to do that for so many Model 3s especially when the margin on them isn't as large.

11. TT97

TT97 Member

Not at a body shop, but they did give me an S P85 when the 3 was at the Service Center.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

To my knowledge they always provide a loaner when any tesla is in for non-bodyshop service (certainly at least while under warranty)- though if they run out of tesla loaners they give you a non-tesla (often via a local car rental chain they have a deal with).

13. TT97

TT97 Member

My guess is once they get through the backlog of reservations, the Service Centers will start loading up on Model 3s as loaners.