Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadside Service and replacement car while under repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery is in about a month and now I'm looking at insurance options.

I've generally had rental coverage through insurance and roadside assistance through AAA.

How would this work with a model 3 and is it automatically included from Tesla?

Since there are no non-Tesla shops that would work on the car, doesn't Tesla always provide a temporary replacement if its in the shop for some reason?

How does it work with Tesla Roadside assistance?

It depends on the shop you are referring to?

For warranty issues/repairs, the car would need to go to a Service Center. At the SC, Tesla will provide you with a loaner (usually a Tesla, occasionally an ICE). Tesla provides complimentary Roadside Assistance for the duration of the warranty period.

If it is a body shop issue (accident), there are Tesla-approved shops but are independent. Tesla will not provide a loaner in those instances (and unfortunately, Teslas tend to stay longer at body shops as Tesla spare parts are in short supply - hopefully, this will change as more and more 3s are on the road).

It depends on the shop you are referring to?

For warranty issues/repairs, the car would need to go to a Service Center. At the SC, Tesla will provide you with a loaner (usually a Tesla, occasionally an ICE). Tesla provides complimentary Roadside Assistance for the duration of the warranty period.

If it is a body shop issue (accident), there are Tesla-approved shops but are independent. Tesla will not provide a loaner in those instances (and unfortunately, Teslas tend to stay longer at body shops as Tesla spare parts are in short supply - hopefully, this will change as more and more 3s are on the road).

So basically no roadside assistance is needed as long as its under warranty.

Do the service centers normally do body work, or is that only at other shops?

So basically no roadside assistance is needed as long as its under warranty.

Do the service centers normally do body work, or is that only at other shops?

I don't believe they do any body work. I know they outsource any work that is needed pre-delivery so can't imagine they do any work at all.

No roadside assistance necessary for warranty issues - don't know if they provide roadside assistance in case of an accident (and hope to not find out). Hard to pass up the benefits of having AAA either way.

FWIW many decent credit cards already provide free roadside assistance as a benefit (either for free for some of them, or for a small fee that's generally cheaper than a AAA membership unless you plan to use it repeatedly)

You’d also want to check how far they’d tow for free and to where. My 2 other ICE comes with roadside assistance too, but only to the “nearest dealership/service”, not to my home or other mechanic. One of my cc has coverage but only up to 20 miles. With AAA, I have up to 100 miles or the nearest service center, so it is a little more flexible.

FWIW many decent credit cards already provide free roadside assistance as a benefit (either for free for some of them, or for a small fee that's generally cheaper than a AAA membership unless you plan to use it repeatedly)

I'm pretty sure I have that on the card that I used for the Tesla deposit.

I think some of the insurance quotes came in quite a bit higher than what I was expecting so now I'm taking a closer look at all the options.

Is Tesla going to provide loaners for Model 3 when at service station or body shop? I thought that might only be a perk if available for the MS and MXs. Can't see how they could afford to do that for so many Model 3s especially when the margin on them isn't as large.

Is Tesla going to provide loaners for Model 3 when at service station or body shop? I thought that might only be a perk if available for the MS and MXs. Can't see how they could afford to do that for so many Model 3s especially when the margin on them isn't as large.

Not at a body shop, but they did give me an S P85 when the 3 was at the Service Center.

To my knowledge they always provide a loaner when any tesla is in for non-bodyshop service (certainly at least while under warranty)- though if they run out of tesla loaners they give you a non-tesla (often via a local car rental chain they have a deal with).