Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way they can cancel the Roadster with the hundreds of referral Roadster winners waiting to get their referral awards.

But if they converted the Roadster awards into Plaid+ (or whatever the next performance version is), I'd be OK with that. Maybe add the "SpaceX" package to Plaid and call it a $200k car.

What kind of obligation do they have? Eg if they never build it what happens?

From a P&L point of view the obligation to fulfill those orders might lead to not being in a hurry. They sort of have a spotty record about do the right thing.

What kind of obligation do they have? Eg if they never build it what happens?

IANAL, but I'd assume that if the try to renege on the referral awards without offering some sort of alternate compensation, then they'd have a massive, and I mean phenomenally massive PR problem on their hands. The group of spurned Roadster Referral award winners is definitely large enough to launch a real class-action lawsuit.

Now I know "class-action lawsuit" is thrown around here willy-nilly for the smallest of nits people have with Tesla, but this would truly be a massive claim. Let's just say the value of the Founder's Roadster is still $250k. Multiplied by how many hundreds of referral award winners? 200? 300? Let's just say they're on the hook for 250 referral roadsters (plus all the partial Roadster discount awards). That's at least a $62.5million lawsuit. I'm sure the class would have no problem finding a law firm to represent them, and I'm also sure that 99% of the class would participate.

So the probably have no legal obligation, but even Tesla isn't that dumb to try and back out of the Roadster referral award promises.

IANAL, but I'd assume that if the try to renege on the referral awards without offering some sort of alternate compensation, then they'd have a massive, and I mean phenomenally massive PR problem on their hands. The group of spurned Roadster Referral award winners is definitely large enough to launch a real class-action lawsuit.

Now I know "class-action lawsuit" is thrown around here willy-nilly for the smallest of nits people have with Tesla, but this would truly be a massive claim. Let's just say the value of the Founder's Roadster is still $250k. Multiplied by how many hundreds of referral award winners? 200? 300? Let's just say they're on the hook for 250 referral roadsters (plus all the partial Roadster discount awards). That's at least a $62.5million lawsuit. I'm sure the class would have no problem finding a law firm to represent them, and I'm also sure that 99% of the class would participate.

So the probably have no legal obligation, but even Tesla isn't that dumb to try and back out of the Roadster referral award promises.
Also, I want to buy one. :) So, let's hope they make it eventually.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms

I would also throw in the fact that those roadster winners are mostly “influencers” with large fan bases, they will definitely spread the word that Tesla is being shady and not delivering the prizes.

If I had to guess I’d say Tesla either delivers the roadster or cash value of the roadster.

The real question is when? There was never a definitive timeline for delivering the prizes so how long can Tesla drag their feet?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Different than I thought. The shape is fine. The lack of real buttons is bad. There's no tactile feedback to find the buttons.

The worst part is that it makes a loud, continuous buzzing sound from bad software. Ugh!

I’m surprised the Tsportline replacements don’t have tactile buttons. That’s one of the first things I would have done if making a replacement for the current one. Hopefully someone does that.

What’s the buzzing coming from? Is there a speaker in the wheel? I’ve not heard of that issue/concern. Maybe file a service ticket and see what they’d say.

I’m surprised the Tsportline replacements don’t have tactile buttons. That’s one of the first things I would have done if making a replacement for the current one. Hopefully someone does that.

What’s the buzzing coming from? Is there a speaker in the wheel? I’ve not heard of that issue/concern. Maybe file a service ticket and see what they’d say.
There's a haptic feedback motor. It doesn't make any noise until you push any button the first time you get in the car in the morning. Then it starts buzzing and buzzes until the car shuts down again. I've tried to get service to fix it, but it's a software bug. All the cars do it. I sat in a few and heard the same noise. The programming in the microcontroller in the yoke for the haptic feedback is garbage.

The replacement wheels seem to re-use the same touch panels. Yeah, it could have been ok if they used real buttons. But, real buttons somehow don't look cool? Even the door opening "buttons" are now touch panels. So, you have to look at the door handle to find the right place to push to get out of the car...

Even the scroll wheels somehow were downgraded in the plaid from the Model 3 scroll wheels. There's no rubber on them anymore, so they are more difficult to turn.

There's a haptic feedback motor. It doesn't make any noise until you push any button the first time you get in the car in the morning. Then it starts buzzing and buzzes until the car shuts down again. I've tried to get service to fix it, but it's a software bug. All the cars do it. I sat in a few and heard the same noise. The programming in the microcontroller in the yoke for the haptic feedback is garbage.

The replacement wheels seem to re-use the same touch panels. Yeah, it could have been ok if they used real buttons. But, real buttons somehow don't look cool? Even the door opening "buttons" are now touch panels. So, you have to look at the door handle to find the right place to push to get out of the car...

Even the scroll wheels somehow were downgraded in the plaid from the Model 3 scroll wheels. There's no rubber on them anymore, so they are more difficult to turn.
As far as the scroll wheels that was across the board. My 2018 3 had the rubber and 2021 3 is metal. I also prefer the rubber though I think I got used to the force needed for ideal friction with time as I haven’t thought about it in months until now. Sorry about the buzzing. :/

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

It sucks about some of the bugs. Some (in my M3) are totally fixable but they don’t seem to like to go back and fix existing stuff. It’s always “add feature”. IMO, the sw teams need a course/leadership correction.

Some of this makes me worried about getting one of the first roadsters that appear. It would be a daily driver for me. I wonder how long I’ll be able to postpone my reservation slot.

As far as the scroll wheels that was across the board. My 2018 3 had the rubber and 2021 3 is metal. I also prefer the rubber though I think I got used to the force needed for ideal friction with time as I haven’t thought about it in months until now. Sorry about the buzzing. :/
Yeah, I figured either cost savings or maybe the rubber they chose would degrade too much over time? Beats me. Hopefully with enough complaining they will fix the yoke buzzing software bug.

Also, the console cubby light software bug. It turns off when you open the lid and turns on when you close it. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I’m a bit shocked at the total lack of news. Not even an email. I agree that it’s starting to look bleak. The focus is on growing the business, and building roadsters would take away from that. I feel like sales would need to slow down in order for them to take some initiative here. But that’s not likely for at least a couple of years.

And the longer they don’t ship it, then more incorrectly priced it seems to get. Might as well cancel the product offering. But that would be bad PR. So just do nothing. Still get the leadership tag buy having it for “sale”. Some number of people (like me) have they’re $ sitting at telsa but so what. To them the deposits are a drop in the bucket. And if people want to wait let them.

They should send an email out with something.
I’m pretty sure the price isn’t locked in. I cancelled my reservation several months ago. i didn’t see the reason to let them keep holding my money when the contract indicated pricing would be determined when production started.

I’m pretty sure the price isn’t locked in. I cancelled my reservation several months ago. i didn’t see the reason to let them keep holding my money when the contract indicated pricing would be determined when production started.
Oh wow @Danlbrau nice to see you again! You may not remember me, but I'm formerly 2021plaid. We used to talk a lot on the Model S Delivery Update thread.

I would also throw in the fact that those roadster winners are mostly “influencers” with large fan bases, they will definitely spread the word that Tesla is being shady and not delivering the prizes.

If I had to guess I’d say Tesla either delivers the roadster or cash value of the roadster.

The real question is when? There was never a definitive timeline for delivering the prizes so how long can Tesla drag their feet?

I think things are going to get very conferential with the referral winners...

(1) Those with two free Roadsters, will probably get them 24 months apart.
(2) Tesla will only allow the Roadsters to be registered in the winners name.
(3) You will owe 1/3 of the FMV of the Roadster as Gift Tax, payable to the feds and state the quarter after you pick up your car. The law allows a portion of gift tax over $5000 to be collected at time of transfer of the gift to you, so Tesla could have you show up with a check for 25%, and the rest you'll need your tax accountant to figure out the remaining federal and state tax liability by the end of the next quarter. Hypothetically, a $250K car with 9.75% sales tax in California will bring the total to $275K (excluding title, registration, any applicable luxury or gas tax, etc...). So 25% of that is $70K for the feds. Yearly registration to get the sticker will start around $2100 as well according to the CA DMV site.
(4) Tesla may offer a cash value at 50% of the FMV that could be used for another Tesla vehicle of their choice if they choose not to get the Roadster due to the huge gift tax liability. The cash value is also a gift as well, so that will be taxed accordingly.
(5) They may stagger referral winners with those who purchase a Roadster so they aren't flooding the secondary market with referrals winners telling their Roadster for a reduced price.
(6) We still don't know if the Space X package will be part of founders edition. Founders may be just the badge on the vehicle and the vehicle number being serial numbered. I suspect the SpaceX Package to be an extra optional add-on above and beyond the $250K for the founders edition.
(7) By the time Roadster configuration occurs, I suspect the FSD package to be upwards of $20 to$25K, and to be an extra optional add-on to the Roadster (even for Referral Winners).

I'm just speculating on the above considering all of the problems in today's world that may carry over in some regards to 2023...

Reactions: EndlessPlaid