Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should be getting scheduled soon. The service center is overwhelmed by the seat belt recall.
Have you received a communication from Tesla indicating that your 3.0 battery will be installed "soon", as in within the next month or so?
I believe I'm fairly near the top of the list, as I placed my 3.0 battery order the day after it was made available for ordering (if I recall correctly), but I have not heard anything from Tesla regarding an installation date.

Have you received a communication from Tesla indicating that your 3.0 battery will be installed "soon", as in within the next month or so?
I believe I'm fairly near the top of the list, as I placed my 3.0 battery order the day after it was made available for ordering (if I recall correctly), but I have not heard anything from Tesla regarding an installation date.

I ordered about 5 minutes after receiving the email. ("Should I wait and ask my wife? Nah...". She came back from wherever she was and her first words were "Are we getting the upgrade?") Still no real info, except last week our maintenance guy said it must be getting close, but there is someone in San Diego with a bricked Roadster in line in front of me.

Not me... Especially since my wife's battery still looks good...

But we were having TPMS issues, so, we were at the Torrance Service Center today and there were 3 other Roadsters there and apparently a Grey and Black one there that just completed the 3.0 upgrade. I asked and they said it shows 350 Ideal miles... I couldn't verify myself as it was on the fenced area...

So, there's that.

we were at the Torrance Service Center today and there were 3 other Roadsters there and apparently a Grey and Black one there that just completed the 3.0 upgrade. I asked and they said it shows 350 Ideal miles... I couldn't verify myself as it was on the fenced area...
Wow! That is great news, thanks for posting. I will take that Tesla employee's word at face value, for now.
I want to see my Roadster VDS displaying 350 Ideal Miles, as that could be 260 real world miles easily in mild weather with no headwind.

Wow! That is great news, thanks for posting. I will take that Tesla employee's word at face value, for now.
I want to see my Roadster VDS displaying 350 Ideal Miles, as that could be 260 real world miles easily in mild weather with no headwind.

That's what I figure. 350 for Max Ideal is double of most of my family's Roadster's Standard charge...

One of the many questions I have about the 3.0 battery is, since it is using modern cells, will it be okay to regularly (not 100% of the time, but often) charge to full or near full and not harm the battery? I am hoping that is the case, in which case whenever you really need that 350 mile max ideal range you can charge it up without worry. With the original Roadster battery I am very hesitant about doing a full charge.

One of the many questions I have about the 3.0 battery is, since it is using modern cells, will it be okay to regularly (not 100% of the time, but often) charge to full or near full and not harm the battery? I am hoping that is the case, in which case whenever you really need that 350 mile max ideal range you can charge it up without worry. With the original Roadster battery I am very hesitant about doing a full charge.
The operating procedure should be that 100% SOC should be avoided in terms of letting it sit there (applies to all EVs). It is okay to charge to that level if you will use it up shortly. Even the old Roadster cells are okay with this. Remember, it is about the amount of time you spend at or near 100% SOC, not simply just reaching there (outside of the depth of cycling which is another factor).

I did some quantitative work on the NCA chemistry here a long time ago.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...e-than-an-80-charge/page2?p=390951#post390951

But you can assume worse at with laptop cells stored at 100% SOC at 25C is 20% loss per year or 0.055% per day. Using the NCA data above, 90% SOC at 25C would be ~15% per year or 0.041% per day.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries#Storage_temperature_and_charge

Last edited:
350 in standard mode would be awesome. I get pretty close to ideal miles driving 65mph.
With the heavier battery pack, the definition of an ideal mile would have to change, more Wh per mile on the same drive cycle.

We've been told the v3 battery pack holds "roughly 40% more energy" and yields "over 35%" more range. 244 x 1.35 = 329.4 and 244 * 1.4 = 341.6. So, getting 350 ideal miles would be a pleasant surprise even if they haven't adjusted the definition of an ideal mile.

We also know it takes the car some time to get to know a new pack.

It will be very interesting to get a first-hand report on the ideal miles and how actual miles per ideal mile compares to the original pack.

Weight has much less impact on range than aerodynamics, which has not changed. However there will be some impact on elevation changes, not to mention acceleration and braking. There is probably some improvement in power due to the larger battery, so acceleration may come out ahead.