Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an email from Tesla yesterday confirming my battery upgrade pricing with the BatteryReplacement Agreement.

In that email was a link to the updated Roadster 3.0 FAQ which, among other things, reveals that there will be no upgrade for aerodynamics, brakes, or bearings.

Worth a read, as well as tracking for future changes.

Link comes up with empty document?

Now I feel even better about my upgraded brake purchase earlier this year: Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors

Argh. The main reason I didn't participate in that brake group buy was that Tesla said they would be coming out with something. I knew it might take a long time to come, but I didn't expect them to drop it completely. I don't need more range but I was really looking forward to the efficiency improvements. Now all they're offering is more range - and it's $29k. I'm glad it's available for those that need it, but the 2013 promise of "something nice for Roadster owners" seems a little hollow.

- - - Updated - - -

I would very much appreciate it if Tesla would come out with a clear public statement as to the status of the other components of the 3.0 upgrade package: new tires, wheel bearings, brake modifications, and aerodynamic body modifications. Tesla's last blog post about the 3.0 upgrade was 9 months ago.

The broken link above said very clearly that none of that stuff is coming. The $29k battery upgrade for more range is all they will offer.

Wait, sorry - they will offer tires. Yay. Probably expensive summer tires that won't be practical here.

So ... before assuming that nothing more is coming (outside of tires), let's remember it wasn't that long ago that we were told there would be no battery upgrade for 1.5s. And now there is.

I have zero knowledge of other stuff coming, to be clear. But it seems like on the whole battery upgrade issue, facts are facts until there are new facts replacing the old facts.

Whew. Take screen shots of things that matter to you!

- - - Updated - - -

They probably took it down when it got posted on the forum...

Which begs the question of why. I'll go with 'not everything was accurate in the FAQs'.

They probably took it down when it got posted on the forum...

Did anyone capture a local copy of this before it was taken down?

My car is coming to the point of needing new rear tires. I'd like to know what the new tire selection will be.

Also, I did not participate in the group buy of improved brake rotors in anticipation of something from Tesla, but it looks like that won't happen now. Maybe there will be enough interest for another run.

Let's be clear, Bonnie. We were never told that. That was assumed based on what we were told. Tesla never said there wouldn't be a 1.5 battery upgrade.
Before Tesla recently changed to say that the 3.0 battery could be installed in the 1.5 cars, I spoke to a service center manager who said he did not expect the 3.0 battery would not be offered for the 1.5 cars. He was rather emphatic about it, but did not say "never". Another service center manager simply said he was "not surprised" that the 3.0 battery was not for the 1.5 cars.
Then things changed, and I was happy they did. I didn't see the 3.0 FAQ page that was linked to here, but it sounds like the other 3.0 components are not coming, with maybe the exception of another tire choice (which of course might not be possible for the 1.5 cars).
Given how things changed with the new battery, I'm not giving up hope for the other 3.0 changes!

So ... before assuming that nothing more is coming (outside of tires), let's remember it wasn't that long ago that we were told there would be no battery upgrade for 1.5s. And now there is.

I have zero knowledge of other stuff coming, to be clear. But it seems like on the whole battery upgrade issue, facts are facts until there are new facts replacing the old facts.

I sort of agree, with the caveat that as with the 1.5 battery upgrade, the only fact we can count on is when something is actually available. Until then, I think the best approach for our collective sanity is to ignore any promises and assume they will offer nothing else until they actually do.

The cars are great. Service is great. Employees are great. But Musk's constant overpromising is really annoying and costs the company a lot of goodwill (waiting around for their promises to come through have cost me a few opportunities). We can't seem to change him, so the best way for us to achieve inner peace is to ignore promises we can't count on. I've said that before, yet still held out hope for the promises I really wanted...

I'm going to assume even the tires aren't coming. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if they do. But at least I won't be disappointed if they don't, or if they do but they won't work for me or are unreasonably priced. And I won't miss any opportunities to pick up some good tires in the meantime.

I'm going to assume even the tires aren't coming. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if they do. But at least I won't be disappointed if they don't, or if they do but they won't work for me or are unreasonably priced. And I won't miss any opportunities to pick up some good tires in the meantime.

I'm going to assume that the tires are coming. Wasn't there another thread about the current ones going out of print? It's not that they have to offer lower rolling resistance tires, but they do have to offer qualified tires, especially for the 1.5 model. So, might as well pick ones that roll easier, make less noise, have better traction, and last longer (though perhaps not all at the same time).

Yesterday I was speaking to a store staff member here in the States about the 3.0 and he swore blind they knew nothing about the other proposed upgrades. He was also skeptical that anyone had had a pack swap yet.

I will personally go ahead with an AP Racing brake upgrade, which is what Lotus use on other Elise-derived cars.

Yesterday I was speaking to a store staff member here in the States about the 3.0 and he swore blind they knew nothing about the other proposed upgrades. He was also skeptical that anyone had had a pack swap yet.
If by "store staff" you mean a Tesla showroom or service center employee, in my experience they are unlikely to have any information about the 3.0 battery because Tesla has not told them anything, even after the new battery has been shown as available on the Tesla website. A service center person I spoke to the day the new battery was made available to the 1.5 cars said he had not been told about that, and when I showed him the Tesla web page for the 3.0 battery that stated "Now available for all Roadster models" he was very surprised.
So far there do not seem to have been any reports on TMC about Roadster owners even having an appointment to have the battery installed. But of course many Roadster owners are not on TMC.

I had a Tesla store staff member swear that the Roadster cells were nickel hydride just like the Prius. He was telling people that the Model S was the first Tesla to have Lithium cells.

I will personally go ahead with an AP Racing brake upgrade, which is what Lotus use on other Elise-derived cars.

Are you doing that to get better braking power or reduce rolling friction? Since this is the 3.0 thread, I suspect your motivation is less rolling resistance.

I had a Tesla store staff member swear that the Roadster cells were nickel hydride just like the Prius. He was telling people that the Model S was the first Tesla to have Lithium cells.
That just reinforces why one should never take a statement by a Tesla store staff member at face value. Some of them are not very knowledgeable. Tesla needs to spend more time training their staff on basic product knowledge.