Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be an awesome bonus if the 3.0 battery turned out to benefit 0-60 times and a standard Roadster could match a Sport Roadster time....

There is little difference between a Roadster and a Roadster Sport. Three years ago I has the opportunity to race one 4 times in a 1/4 mile run. Twice I won and twice the Sport won. Never was there more than a car length between us. To further confuse matters I always has a passinger in my plain Roadster and I was running as a convertable. The Sport had only a driver and the hard top on.

Even then as I said I won twice and when I lost I my front wheel was next to their rear. So less thaoun 8 ft in a 1320 ft run.

Also I recall the 0-60 (3.7/3.9) times were taken by Tesla after a full "hot" performance charge was given (from what I heard). So in regular world terms we're most likely in the low 4.x's. Has anyone benchmarked a 0-60 run with a regular standard mode charge in say 75-80F ambient temps? Also remember that when the Roadster's pack is heated / temps have elevated, there's less internal resistance in the battery so current flows much faster. That directly affects your 0-60 times in an EV.

There is probably some improvement in power due to the larger battery, so acceleration may come out ahead.
A Roadster 2.x is quicker than a 1.5, and a Sport even more so. (Several of us, including RichKae and I, have done extensive side-by-side testing of this, including putting experienced EV drag racers in the driver's seat.)

All of the Roadsters use the same battery pack. From that, I conclude that the PEM is the power-limiting factor, not the battery pack. I know there are changes to the PEM for the v3 upgrade, but it seems unlikely they would replace all the parts to increase power output (presumably that would require all new IGBTs).

Hopefully we'll soon see what an experienced driver can do with a v3 on the track.

What I've been expecting is the larger pack at a higher voltage might allow full torque at a higher RPM range. It might be limited in software, but if the battery voltage sag of the old pack was the limiting factor in carrying the torque to a higher RPM because of motor back EMF then the larger pack with less voltage sag and maybe a higher base operating voltage could keep the torque high for longer. So probably no help in 0-60 but maybe 0-100.

What I've been expecting is the larger pack at a higher voltage might allow full torque at a higher RPM range. It might be limited in software, but if the battery voltage sag of the old pack was the limiting factor in carrying the torque to a higher RPM because of motor back EMF then the larger pack with less voltage sag and maybe a higher base operating voltage could keep the torque high for longer. So probably no help in 0-60 but maybe 0-100.
And this gets to the question which so far we can't answer: what changes does Tesla make to the Roadster firmware to support the larger 3.0 battery, and do those changes enable faster acceleration to 60, more power at higher speeds, more power over a longer period of time, higher top speed, etc. We don't know.
And of course we don't know exactly what changes will be made to the PEM.

There is little difference between a Roadster and a Roadster Sport. Three years ago I has the opportunity to race one 4 times in a 1/4 mile run. Twice I won and twice the Sport won. Never was there more than a car length between us. To further confuse matters I always has a passinger in my plain Roadster and I was running as a convertable. The Sport had only a driver and the hard top on.

Even then as I said I won twice and when I lost I my front wheel was next to their rear. So less thaoun 8 ft in a 1320 ft run.

The more the battery is charged to maximum, the greater the performance difference between the base and sport models. The sport seems to develop most of the extra quoted power from the added voltage of a performance charge. Once the extra juice is used, the performance gap diminishes.

- - - Updated - - -

And this gets to the question which so far we can't answer: what changes does Tesla make to the Roadster firmware to support the larger 3.0 battery, and do those changes enable faster acceleration to 60, more power at higher speeds, more power over a longer period of time, higher top speed, etc. We don't know.
And of course we don't know exactly what changes will be made to the PEM.

Since nothing was ever said about more performance, it is unlikely to improve, except for extending the time the current level is available.

A Roadster 2.x is quicker than a 1.5, and a Sport even more so. (Several of us, including RichKae and I, have done extensive side-by-side testing of this, including putting experienced EV drag racers in the driver's seat.)

Do you have any datapoints for the SOC, ESS temp, and CAC of each Tesla used in this race? If not, I'd take the data with a grain of salt. But I know you understand how all these determine acceleration of an EV. I didn't see any of this mentioned except for the following that are vague metrics:

-> medium weight driver with a cool battery pack, single foot start, traction control on, racing in warm weather at sea level.
-> having a warm battery pack from a recent 240V/40A charge

Other factors that could impact acceleration is unsprung weight, did all Roadsters have forged wheels vs the way heavier cast set? Also tires are part of this, as well. What was their weight? A wheel having less weight will accelerate faster than a wheel that's heavier set.
Wheel Tech, Part I: Wheel Weight Slows You Down | Tuner University

If you're racing to say "hey, I beat you (at this point of time) and I'm faster!.", then these factors don't matter. If you're trying to draw a true conclusion on which version of a Roadster is fastest, you have to hold as many variables constant as possible and if not, try to deduce their performance impact based upon math.

Last edited:

Equally 0-60 might improve a smidge due to a more rearward weight bias and greater traction at the back.

Look forward to seeing the real world results.

Equally 0-60 might improve a smidge due to a more rearward weight bias and greater traction at the back.

Look forward to seeing the real world results.

Traction is not an issue with 40/60 rear weight bias and Roadster's 900+ pound battery sitting over the rear wheels.
I have yet to spin the wheels on launch... no matter how hard I try.

P.S. That's on a dry road with TC disabled. Wet road? That's a whole different animal.

Last edited:
Traction is not an issue with 40/60 rear weight bias and Roadster's 900+ pound battery sitting over the rear wheels.
I have yet to spin the wheels on launch... no matter how hard I try.

P.S. That's on a dry road with TC disabled. Wet road? That's a whole different animal.

Have you tried a performance charge? Thats the only time I can get the traction control to kick on under acceleration.

So rumours of cars in the upgrade and there's been zero reports here or elsewhere online?

We're almost at the first anniversary of the supposed drive from the Bay Area to LA that there has never been a photo, video or anyone other than some Tesla employees saw.

So rumours of cars in the upgrade and there's been zero reports here or elsewhere online?

We're almost at the first anniversary of the supposed drive from the Bay Area to LA that there has never been a photo, video or anyone other than some Tesla employees saw.

The funny thing is even the latest rumours of this unicorn upgraded car's range doesn't tally with the blog post of that event, where the unphotographed "prototype" supposedly did 360 "real world miles".

This is the Internet so ..... photos or it didn't happen ;)