Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roadster was in for yearly service this week, and the main service guy I talked to is a roadster owner. Granted, in my ultra-limited experience, Tesla employees tend to be kept in the dark, but neither tesla service guys I talked to has -any- clue about -any- aspect of the 3.0 upgrade. No time, no price, no specifics, no nothing. So like many of you, I just wait, and I'll believe it not before I can actually make an appointment to get it. Thanks for the thread, will read the 30 pages I haven't read ;) when I have a chance. Appreciate it.

My roadster was in for yearly service this week, and the main service guy I talked to is a roadster owner. Granted, in my ultra-limited experience, Tesla employees tend to be kept in the dark, but neither tesla service guys I talked to has -any- clue about -any- aspect of the 3.0 upgrade. No time, no price, no specifics, no nothing. So like many of you, I just wait, and I'll believe it not before I can actually make an appointment to get it. Thanks for the thread, will read the 30 pages I haven't read ;) when I have a chance. Appreciate it.

My experience has been the opposite. One service person I talked to was very familiar with both the battery and also the aerodynamic upgrades to increase range (none of which will permanently modify the original body - either an add-on or swap out of part(s) ).

- - - Updated - - -

fyi - also checked my customer record to make sure my Battery Replacement Option was correctly reflected (on the assumption it may impact pricing). It wasn't. But​ it was reflected in the financial transaction area. And it's now corrected.

If you purchased the Battery Replacement Option, you might want to double-check just in case there are any special offers* for you on this upgrade.

*I have zero knowledge of anything like this, purely an assumption on my part.

I have joined Chad's "click it" club..........
I also just got home shaking from a scary experience on RT 50 outside of Annapolis....... I think I just had a ten mile surrealistic road race with an unmarked police car! He flashed his head lights ( from behind me of course) as I signaled to exit toward home. I got sick at my stomach as I saw his license plate and row of LED cop lights on his back window. I think I will hide out for awhile..... Drive the VW. Maybe hide #992 in the Rockville SC waiting for the update!

Then there is this guy named "Godot"........... Hope Elon doesn't know him:crying:

[...]the aerodynamic upgrades to increase range (none of which will permanently modify the original body - either an add-on or swap out of part(s) ).

That's really good news, if true. One of the key things people love about the Roadster is its appearance. Almost any modification - especially one that is being done for functional rather than aesthetic reasons - is likely to stir up some hate. Having the option to go back to the original appearance will help.

I would hope they keep the pricing 'reasonable' to make sure that they don't scare Model S buyers... Some of them are probably wondering what a Model S replacement pack will cost in some years, and the Roadster replacement pack is a precedent of sorts.

My experience has been the opposite. One service person I talked to was very familiar with both the battery and also the aerodynamic upgrades to increase range (none of which will permanently modify the original body - either an add-on or swap out of parts
Thanks Bonnie that is good news. I don't want to make any permanent aero mods to my Roadster.
Did the person you talked to give any clues as to the appearance of the body mods, .i.e are they visually obvious to the casual observer or are they more subtle?
The waiting, waiting, waiting....it's killing me.

fyi - also checked my customer record to make sure my Battery Replacement Option was correctly reflected (on the assumption it may impact pricing). It wasn't. But​ it was reflected in the financial transaction area. And it's now corrected.

If you purchased the Battery Replacement Option, you might want to double-check just in case there are any special offers* for you on this upgrade. .

Bonnie, are you thinking Tesla will make some accommodation on the 3.0 Battery Upgrade deriving from a 'Battery Replacement Option'?

I am fortunate in that my #467 had a Battery Replacement Option which I inherited from the original owner - though I can't get much info on it. Battery is showing a defect and Tesla says they'll replace it. Are you thinking they might apply this toward the 3.0 ?

Strib

Bonnie, are you thinking Tesla will make some accommodation on the 3.0 Battery Upgrade deriving from a 'Battery Replacement Option'?

I am fortunate in that my #467 had a Battery Replacement Option which I inherited from the original owner - though I can't get much info on it. Battery is showing a defect and Tesla says they'll replace it. Are you thinking they might apply this toward the 3.0 ?

Strib

I'm hoping, but have had zero indication from anyone at Tesla that it may be true.

The basics of the replacement option are 'eligible for replacement by a battery capable of storing a minimum of 53kWh - no sooner than 7 years, must take by year 10, and each year between 7 and 10 that you don't take it, you receive $1k back'.

I'm only at year 4 & don't need it now. If there isn't a special consideration, then I'm just going to wait it out. I'm not in a rush. But if I were Tesla, I'd want to get folks like us off the books. The original option was sold as a part (hence sales tax), so that is being carried by Tesla, including the $ back portion.

I anticipate either a special discounted offer or a 'take it now and we'll call it even'. If it's a discounted offer (or no offer), I'll just wait it out til year 10. Might be even better battery tech then.

Of course they may do nothing.