Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you with the 3.0 battery installed - if you don't mind me asking - what forms of payment is Tesla accepting for final balance due?

More specifically, are they taking credit cards for the remaining $24,000? If I go this route, it'd be nice to rack up some points or cash back, but I'm not sure if Tesla is willing to take the CC percentage fee on a transaction that amount.

If not, I'm guessing it's direct bank transfer, personal check, or cashier's check only?

Just curious. I need to plan accordingly if I go this route.

Personal check for my upgrade. They didn't accept credit cards for the balance. Of course, that could be different by location.

For those of you with the 3.0 battery installed - if you don't mind me asking - what forms of payment is Tesla accepting for final balance due?

More specifically, are they taking credit cards for the remaining $24,000? If I go this route, it'd be nice to rack up some points or cash back, but I'm not sure if Tesla is willing to take the CC percentage fee on a transaction that amount.

If not, I'm guessing it's direct bank transfer, personal check, or cashier's check only?

Just curious. I need to plan accordingly if I go this route.

I was able to charge the balance of the upgrade to my Visa.

I paid by CC. Mind you I split it onto two cards which was a hassle for them, but they were fine with it. The main system they use could not do the split but somehow they found a way. This was at Fremont. Lots of resources and people there.

Why I love the Roadster 3 upgrade. I started with 346 miles range charge drove to Indianapolis and back today 241.5 miles on a single charge with 99 miles to spare! Complete sunshine with the rag top in the trunk! It's more about the trip than the destination. Here are some screenshots of the amazing trip.

Attachments

• IMG_7218.JPG
    IMG_7218.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7215.JPG
    IMG_7215.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7216.JPG
    IMG_7216.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7217.JPG
    IMG_7217.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7206.PNG
    IMG_7206.PNG
    119.4 KB · Views: 83
Just wondering if Tesla installs fresh new hoses and connectors to the cooling manifold under the battery when the 3.0 is installed?

The 3.0 Battery Upgrade mainly consists of a rebuilt ESS, with new higher capacity cells in it. The rebuilding of the ESS requires the removal of all (11) of the battery sheets from the ESS case, which requires the disconnection of the sheets from the cooling manifold. At the very least, the hoses and hose clamps would need to be inspected for damage/wear as part of this process. I expect that it's probably easier just to replace the hoses and clamps with new ones, since they're readily available materials.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The 3.0 Battery Upgrade mainly consists of a rebuilt ESS, with new higher capacity cells in it. The rebuilding of the ESS requires the removal of all (11) of the battery sheets from the ESS case, which requires the disconnection of the sheets from the cooling manifold. At the very least, the hoses and hose clamps would need to be inspected for damage/wear as part of this process. I expect that it's probably easier just to replace the hoses and clamps with new ones, since they're readily available materials.

Agreed, hose replacement should be a no brainer when they refurbish the pack and do the install. I would be really annoyed when I drop 30k these are not replaced. Next time at Tesla I will ask.

I have a vague recollection this was discussed before but...

I did my first full charge after the upgrade last night. Before I picked the car up from the SC it was on 99% and 265 ideal miles.

When I went out to work this morning (taking the Ampera) I checked OVMS and it was at 84% but ramping down to 8 Amps. My first impression was this is a very early ramp down and not ideal.

However when I got to work I checked again and now it has cut off at 84%. Is this what other 3.0 owners are seeing?

Screenshot_2017-06-22-08-29-53-1.png
Screenshot_2017-06-22-09-55-28-1.png

How much quicker can you do the north / south route now ?

I guess not much quicker, as apart from that first full charge you still then have to top up at the same rate. The CHAdeMO upgrade would make a big difference.

By the way a bunch of Model S owners did it at the weekend but didn't seem to publicise it out of Facebook groups. They claim a total time of 15 hours with 3 hours charging and 12 hours driving for the 840 miles. That would mean an average driving speed of 70 mph - basically admitting speeding as the roads north of Inverness and south of Truro typically have speed limits of 60 mph or lower and all UK motorways have a 70 mph maximum speed limit. That's why Guiness won't endorse speed/time records as it encourages this kind of behaviour. They do now award least charging time though, which means as soon as 350 kW chargers are commonplace the record can be beaten.

It's strange because I don't think the reason I saw 99% was down to the SC range mode charging and putting it back to standard. They tested and moved the car around a bit before I picked it up and the mileage dropped from 265 to 260 so I guess it genuinely was at full for a standard charge.

It's strange because I don't think the reason I saw 99% was down to the SC range mode charging and putting it back to standard. They tested and moved the car around a bit before I picked it up and the mileage dropped from 265 to 260 so I guess it genuinely was at full for a standard charge.

That doesn't sound right. When I range mode charge and set to standard, I get 285, and (as is well documented elsewhere), my battery has lost quite a bit of capacity after the upgrade. The bottom 10% reserve is ~34 ideal miles, so that's what you should lose going from range mode to standard after charging. With a new 3.0 battery and ~344 miles, you should be showing ~310. 265 is so far off that maybe you're looking at estimated miles or something.