Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually not seeing the CAC decrease (yet). My battery was delivered with 205 Ah and has now risen to 206 after a couple of range charges. However the Tesla SC says starting this low is an issue and wants the car back in to do some tests.
Interested to hear what they say. Is this Gatwick who did it?

Mine in March was 214 and has dropped progressively to 209.6 tonight.

So, Tesla service is installing my 3.0 upgrade. He just told me they removed the 'sport' logo and to replace it with the R80. I just asked him 'please don't do that!' I want *both* the R80 badge and my sport badge.

Anyone else who got a sport upgraded have this happen to them?

Apparently, this is the instruction the service team receive in relation to affixing the new R80 badge. I pre-empted this, by asking them to affix the R80 badge on the left side and keep the sport logo on the right (the positioning might be different Stateside - I am based in Hong Kong, where we drive on the left, as in England). Anyway, my service guy was fine to do this. Not quite sure why they receive this instruction though - I can't imagine that many sports owners want the logo removed....

So, I got my Roadster back today with the 3.0 (R80) battery upgrade. I'm quite happy with how the logo looks on the left hand side. I think it gives it a nice balance with the 'Roadster Sport' logo on the right.

When I took it for a drive I didn't notice anything different on launch, and I didn't expect to either.

However, I was amazed at what happened when I was going 70mph on the freeway and stomped on it. With the original battery I would only get relatively weak acceleration from 70mph on.

However, with the battery upgrade I get a really strong pull and acceleration going from 70mph to 90mph. I did it a bunch of times to make sure I wasn't imagining it, and it's really noticeable.

In the past I have described the car as a glorified go-kart because I would only get really impressive acceleration from 0-70mph. Anything over 70mph was pretty weak. I don't know if there was something wrong with my car before, and now it's fixed, or simply that the new battery is capable of delivering a whole bunch more power at higher speed. Either way, I love it!

The next time I roll up on a muscle car at 60mph, I might give them a run for their money!

P.S. if you are wondering what the exclamation point is on the screen, that's indicating a communication failure to Tesla. I'll have to get back to service on that.

Last edited:
However, with the battery upgrade I get a really strong pull and acceleration going from 70mph to 90mph. I did it a bunch of times to make sure I wasn't imagining it, and it's really noticeable.

I speculated this might be the case

I wonder if the larger pack would help 0-100 times more than 0-60. Up to 60 you should still be below the base speed of the motor where voltage sag should not have much effect. Above base motor speed pack voltage drop would become more of an issue.

No, it didn't resolve it. The tech spent a ton of time looking at it, since he was authorized to do so. At this point, I think we are just trying to diagnose a light problem, because when the performance mode light turns red there is absolutely no recognizable change in performance. It still runs like a bat out of hell. So, I'm just not worried about it at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: Rotarypower
However, I was amazed at what happened when I was going 70mph on the freeway and stomped on it. With the original battery I would only get relatively weak acceleration from 70mph on.

In the past I have described the car as a glorified go-kart because I would only get really impressive acceleration from 0-70mph. Anything over 70mph was pretty weak. I don't know if there was something wrong with my car before, and now it's fixed, or simply that the new battery is capable of delivering a whole bunch more power at higher speed. Either way, I love it!

I have experienced this same thing when I borrowed a friend's R80. Thing was RIDICULOUS at higher speeds. That launch from 60-90 is completely different from my 2.0 and both of my previous 2.5's from what I remember. Congratulations on the new upgrade!

No, it didn't resolve it. The tech spent a ton of time looking at it, since he was authorized to do so. At this point, I think we are just trying to diagnose a light problem, because when the performance mode light turns red there is absolutely no recognizable change in performance. It still runs like a bat out of hell. So, I'm just not worried about it at this point.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I believe the "red" performance indicator is simply there to display when the PEM enters the furthermost blue bar in the temperature screen. I'm unsure of the exact temp (I believe 44-45C?). When it's white, it's likely below that threshold.