Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CAC 155,5 after 10 years and 7100miles and still with original battery. So some of the original batteries still looks to be very healthy. Std charge gives me 306km (190miles) range ln the display now.

Has not been in warm climates and always connected with the chargecable (Std-charge). And former owner was a very carful gentleman. Newer rangecharged (only once in 10 years!), never drove below 30% i think and almost never used the full Power. So I´ll try to keep on that track to see if it can stay healthy for some more years to come.

But I see your Point! Better if SOMEONE ELSE hast spent those 30k+$ on the upgrade, because that day will sooner or later come!

Based on your attached pic, your watt per mile of 322 shown in your CAC SOC screen, you are a "Spirited" driver. OUTSTANDING!

I dont think I've ever gotten my 2010 Roadster above a dwhm of 300 or so. Now my MS is a different story as its a WHM hog.

Ha ha. No I Think the car was "on" when me and the former owner was sitting in it and looked through all menues and we did a very short testdrive right Before that Picture was taken.

My usual consumption is like 170 when driving on slow roads. And after recent drives now got 307km in standard charge.

Tesla's lawyer sent me the official confirmation that "the new 3.0 battery is ready in the US and Tesla is ready for launch".
I'm confident that they are just trying to buy time, and that this "news" is "fake news". If no one else heard from them, I'm convinced it's just another lie...

@Carl W ^^^ Did you ever sell your 914 EV conversion after getting the Roadster?

You got a great deal on that Roadster.
Yes, I sold my 914 EV 2 summers ago to a Frenchman looking to start an EV conversion company, a couple of years after getting my Roadster. I sort of sold it sooner than that (and for $7k more), but the guy backed out when I was unable to get a trucking company to take the car during the exact week he requested. His money was in escrow for it at the time. It took a long time to find the right buyer, and as with many projects like that, I put in a lot more money into it than I got out. However, it was fun for a while. Since then, the new buyer has replaced the lithium iron phosphate batteries with tesla cells, which I think removed a couple of hundred pounds of weight.

You guys are missing out on a lot of fun. Is there some risk and occasional hassle? Absolutely. But is it worth it? To me, it is. Big fun every time I drive and I'm putting on about 5,000 miles per year.

@Carl W,

Thank you, Carl. Thank you for continually reinforcing/reminding others of the positive, overall outlook. At the end of the day, the only question that is significant to consider is worth. Is it worth it? Of course! Will experiencing long-term ownership of a Tesla Roadster change a baby’s diaper or rake your leaves? Of course not. And, when it’s all said and done, no regrets on this end. I will continue to enjoy the experience while I still stand, well in health, 19 years of age, capable, free of responsibilities, young, etc.

Sincerely,

- P.

@Carl W,

Thank you, Carl. Thank you for continually reinforcing/reminding others of the positive, overall outlook. At the end of the day, the only question that is significant to consider is worth. Is it worth it? Of course! Will experiencing long-term ownership of a Tesla Roadster change a baby’s diaper or rake your leaves? Of course not. And, when it’s all said and done, no regrets on this end. I will continue to enjoy the experience while I still stand, well in health, 19 years of age, capable, free of responsibilities, young, etc.

Sincerely,

- P.

You've been a member for over a year. Aren't you 20 yet? :D

Reactions: AtAge19
BartJ I feel exactly the same way, would I buy another one again, heck no!
Most of us have had better luck. I drive mine every day. I take long trips without hesitation. I've had only one serious problem in the 5.5 years since my warranty expired, and the repair cost me nothing. I'm at nearly 70k miles and expect to do another 70k. Your mileage may vary.

My first car was an MG-TD I bought in 1964. Since then,I realized I need to have a two seat car with no roof. So the following cars were an MG-B, a FIAT 124 Spider, and an Alfa Romeo Spider which I still have after 25 years. They all have had minor to major mechanical problems that I had fixed as necessary.

In 2011 I bought my Roadster. For mechanical problems I had a headlight go out once. No big deal--and that is it! A two seater, no roof, sitting right on the ground (almost), fast, no power steering so you can really feel the road--it is GREAT FUN to drive! I drive the car daily. I love it better than any of the others. I'll never give it up!

I have had 4 Alfa Romeos over the years (still have two and drive them) and they have been more dependable than most of the other cars I have owned. Alfa Romeo had dual overhead cams, aluminum engines, and 4 wheel disc brakes way ahead of most of their competitors. Jokes about their dependability are way over done in my opinion. But they are complicated machines and need a mechanic who knows about them. Not your average Chevy mechanic. Fortunately we have an excellent Alfa mechanic here had he has kept my cars in great shape for decades.

I think Tesla has great technology! My Tesla has been more dependable than any other car I have ever owned--including American and Japanese cars.

I have put over 55,000 miles on my Roadster over the past 9 years. I have had two issues that have left me wanting. Not bad for an early #255 car. The accelerator pedal circuit had an issue that required replacement under warranty. Then I had the high voltage controller go out on my $.05. But I contrast that with what is likely now well over 1000 test rides/drives and seeing those many Tesla grins. And taking the car to hundreds of car shows, Earth day events, environmental shows.... Seeing pEople from going from this is not possible, to WOW. Seeing people realize a clean economy is not only possible but BETTER.

So in a nutshell my car has been in the “shop” for unplanned items less than 2 weeks in over 9 years. That really is not bad in my humble opinion. Actually I should say that is quite good. And the fun has been off the charts. As I say the Roadster has been the most fun I have ever had sitting down.

You guys are missing out on a lot of fun. Is there some risk and occasional hassle? Absolutely. But is it worth it? To me, it is. Big fun every time I drive and I'm putting on about 5,000 miles per year.

It's fun until it breaks, If it's PEM or Battery related and you reside in North America you're fine, but for those of us who live in Hong Kong it's quite a different story there is nothing they can do for you and there are no Grubers here either which is why I sold mine to a bloke in Australia.

Reactions: BartJ