Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^ I am aware of some effort to have a 3rd party shop to help maintain original Roadsters, but it is still in the planning stages.
TEG as my Roadster is an example of easlry adopters, it was the first CPO in the state of Texas, and probably one of the first to be fully repaired by a third party. The PEM failed completely and was quoted $9800-$11,000 to repair by local SC. So the Forum coming to my rescue recommended Gruber Electronics in Phoenix. So off it went. Six weeks in and and estimate of $5-7K I believe Im still better off than waiting at SC. As a side note I had about an 8 week SC ordeal last summer when the headlight needed repair. so it does seem the knowledge is filtering down.

E8A02748-2359-4310-93EF-F4E689EFA2C1.jpeg
Tesla says I need a new battery due to two failing sheets. I asked about the 3.0 battery and was told by Anthony in Pomona that Tesla was working on addressing the range degradation issues with the original packs and is planning to reintroduce it in October.

Meanwhile my only options are to pay $14k for a re-man pack or wait to see what happens with the 3.0 battery. Seems like the prudent thing to do is decline the repair and wait to see what happens - but it's Tesla so I could be waiting a lot longer.

I saw an email me when back in stock option on the 3.0 battery page today. That’s a promising sign!

Reactions: Gremlin
Mmmm, my guess is that it's just part of the web storefront. News will be when someone gets a reply. 4 months to October... (They did say 2019, right?)

I could be wrong, but I actually don't remember the email option being there in the past. I remember the page just saying 'SOLD OUT." Again, I could be wrong, but I think the "email when restocked" is a relative recent update to the page.

I went ahead and entered my email address so we'll see what happens.

Hmmpf... What I figured was that the option to email when restocked was a new feature to the overall store, regardless of platform or product. So I went to the site to test, figuring the 3.0 battery wasn't the only thing out of stock.

But, I don't see that option on any product, 3.0 battery or otherwise (looked at an old Model S charging kit). Did they take it down already?

Hmmpf... What I figured was that the option to email when restocked was a new feature to the overall store, regardless of platform or product. So I went to the site to test, figuring the 3.0 battery wasn't the only thing out of stock.

But, I don't see that option on any product, 3.0 battery or otherwise (looked at an old Model S charging kit). Did they take it down already?

The email when restocked option has, indeed, disappeared for me as well.

That was short-lived. At least I got a screenshot of it! It was probably just a temporary coding glitch.

Today I saw an error I've never seen before, basically "Battery Brick1 overheating, power limited". I was driving ummm spiritedly on a country road and freeway (San Diego Tesla Club outing) and the outside air temp was around 100degF. I'm wondering if this is a 3.0 thing, I have never seen a battery overheat message before, and certainly not one specific to a brick. The battery was about 30% charged at the time, about 40 miles of standard range left.

Today I saw an error I've never seen before, basically "Battery Brick1 overheating, power limited". I was driving ummm spiritedly on a country road and freeway (San Diego Tesla Club outing) and the outside air temp was around 100degF. I'm wondering if this is a 3.0 thing, I have never seen a battery overheat message before, and certainly not one specific to a brick. The battery was about 30% charged at the time, about 40 miles of standard range left.
Was the air conditioning running ok? I had a very warm battery once, not quite to that level, but it was due to the SC over-filling the AC coolant during a prior annual maintenance cycle, and that caused the AC to over-temp and quit working. You'll hear it cycling a lot, with very short cycles. Did it charge ok?

40 miles of range is not a whole lot for 30% charge. I'd expect that from my original battery. Were you in Performance mode? That will tend to let the battery get hot as well.

Was the air conditioning running ok? I had a very warm battery once, not quite to that level, but it was due to the SC over-filling the AC coolant during a prior annual maintenance cycle, and that caused the AC to over-temp and quit working. You'll hear it cycling a lot, with very short cycles. Did it charge ok?

40 miles of range is not a whole lot for 30% charge. I'd expect that from my original battery. Were you in Performance mode? That will tend to let the battery get hot as well.
It did seem to be running the AC to cool the battery, not in performance mode. I had the roof off so wasn't using it for the inside of the car. It's still charging now (started at 1am), all seems fine. By 30%/40 miles, I mean that I was still in standard mode, so adding the range mode reserve to the 40 miles it was showing at the rate of consumption I was using, I guesstimated about 30% of the battery's total capacity.

Anyway, all seems fine at the moment.

Not 3.0 as once on a 100+ degree day when driving I did see a power limited mode. The car had also spent the day in the sun on a hot parking lot so I was definitely warm soaked.

I've seen overtemp, power limited messages before, but it's always been for the PEM not the battery. That's what makes the Roadster a not-so-good track car, it only runs a little while before turning into a Chevette.

Yeah, seen Motor and PEM overhead messages plenty of times.

Status update: I went back about two hours after my previous message, and the ideal range had gone up to 199m! It must have been badly out of balance, I guess. Drove a short commute, and charged again last night. It's currently finished charging and is sitting right on 200m. So I'm not nearly as panicked as I was, this could just be normal variation.

I just noticed a 3.0 quirk and was wondering if anyone else has seen similar. When I initially got the 3.0 battery I was about 20 miles from home when the range became indeterminate. Just prior it was showing about 30+ miles so I thought I would get home with about 10 miles of range. Unfortunately about 10 miles later the battery suddenly died, far sooner than I would have thought. Last week a took a longish trip and stopped by a friends with about 55 miles of range. After a short visit I turned the car back on and I showed about 30 miles of range. 20 miles vanished in a 15 minute visit. Again today I stopped at a place after a long drive with 70 miles of range showing. After about 15-20 minutes when I turned the car back on and my 70 miles was down to 40 miles. So do I have a problem or does the 3.0 firmware not properly calculate the low end of the battery status?

Not sure if it's exactly the same as what you describe, but I have noticed strange behavior after a long day of driving, when the state-of-charge has gone pretty low.

Once I was coming back from Austin, and the range (in range mode, so it was showing the reserve) had gotten down to about 20 miles. But. . . Before going to my house I stopped at the cafe for lunch. When I came out of the cafe, my car was reading out zero miles, along with the "range uncertain" warning message! It would still move, though, and I eased it carefully across town, about two or three miles, to my house.

On a subsequent trip I put about 270 miles on it during the day (with a few charging stops) and arrived home with a healthy 43 miles. After bringing my stuff into the house, some minutes later, I returned to the car to put it away and found the range reading had dropped to 36 miles. Not a big drop, but still. . . 7 miles of range gone just from sitting in my driveway for a little while?

All of this is running on the original battery, no replacement or upgrade.

If I had to speculate, I'd say that letting it sit idle for about 15-20 minutes allows it to run a diagnostic and re-evaluate the state of the battery, usually downward.

Is it dropping out of range mode while sitting turned off for a few minutes?

It can sometimes lose range if it cools off significantly so if the AC battery cooling was on when you parked it would lose a few miles as the pack reached a lower temp. Likewise the estimate will increase sometimes while parked in the sun.