Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So..... What do you think? Is the roadster 3.0 as dead as this thread?

I was just thinking about this earlier in the week. I suspect that Model X activities have completely consumed everyone & that we may be on hold until the X starts rolling off the line.

That said, nothing wrong with asking. So I'll ask. If I hear anything, I'll report back.

In fact, think I'll send a quick tweet :).

Quick response!

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 7.14.55 PM.png

Validation for something like this is extremely time consuming. Combine that with the fact that Tesla can't hire enough engineers fast enough. Most of us are excited about 3.0 but don't plan to buy the new battery right away, so it's hard to imagine that it's getting top priority. We've had this discussion before, so I'll just say I'm happy they're still working on it given the circumstances.

I'm with you, Henry - but there are a couple of folks (like botbldr45, above) who may need it sooner rather than later. So I'm glad to hear progress is still happening.

Bonnie, thanks so much for going to bat with the Tweet and getting such a quick and specific response from the top!:biggrin:

Very good to know this hasn't fallen off the map with all the big stuff happening (70D, X, residential battery,...). Doubt we would be getting something like this if Google or Apple or anyone else had bought Tesla whenever and were in charge now. Elon Rules.

Yep, agree completely!!!

Validation for something like this is extremely time consuming. Combine that with the fact that Tesla can't hire enough engineers fast enough. Most of us are excited about 3.0 but don't plan to buy the new battery right away, so it's hard to imagine that it's getting top priority. We've had this discussion before, so I'll just say I'm happy they're still working on it given the circumstances.

Out of curiosity, knowing that things like design completion and subsequent safety validation would have to take place, what exactly was the "end of the year" timetable that was discussed earlier? Was that just for the announcement of the program?

Awesome to hear it is still going forward and sounds like it'll be announced officially (ie. official pricing/specs) by the end of this year. My Roadster has just 25K miles on it and the battery is barely getting to 170 ideal miles in standard mode, I'd love to be able to drive to LA or Las Vegas (I'm in PHX) but it is mostly impractical with the current battery, hoping the future will change all that!!!

My Roadster has just 25K miles on it and the battery is barely getting to 170 ideal miles in standard mode, I'd love to be able to drive to LA or Las Vegas (I'm in PHX) but it is mostly impractical with the current battery, hoping the future will change all that!!!
I am also anxiously awaiting the 3.0 upgrade. But with your existing battery, Phoenix to LA is still very doable. My Roadster has 38K miles and standard charges to 175 Ideal miles.
Last December I drove LA to Chandler AZ, and back. It took 2 charging stops, Cathedral City Tesla store, and Quartzite, AZ an overnight charge. Not as convenient as Supercharging but very doable.
The trip was 435 miles one way, so even a 400 mile battery would require 1 charging stop. Charging with 70 amps gives you 48 to 56 mph (depending on voltage 208 or 240). This might reduce the time to 1 day but it would be a long day.
You can do it!