Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster annual service price increased to $720

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the things Tesla does seem to be completely opposite from Elon's vision. Overcharging for unnecessary wiper blades is not "operating from first principles". The ill will generated is not worth the few dollars they collect. Anyone try contacting him directly about some of this stuff?

Yes, and I had a long face-to-face conversation with George B as well. But it was not about the Roadster. I was very happy with that. It was about the Model S service policy. George defended it by asking if I had ever owned a Mercedes. I said "no" and he said, "You would have paid a lot more for its service." Ultimately everything I complained about WRT the Model S service/warranty policy was changed for the better. Elon apologized and said "We made a mistake." It made all the difference for me. But they still billed me for a bum wiper blade the next time I came in, and 2 fob batteries when they only had one key.

- - - Updated - - -

Same, for some reason they only gave me one this year. I'm not complaining - as you mentioned they don't need to be replaced at all.

I think it's a good idea to replace them every year, or at least every other year. Have you ever had one go dead? It's a pain.

Re: $720- annual service (was $600-): I'm guessing this will be good for 4 years at least like the 600- was. And this is optional for the owner, not required. If that proves to be true then this increase would appear to have a rational basis.

Both my annuals were done in conjunction with major problems like 'will not drive' (free push button unit) or 'will not charge' (1500- charge relay, only 2 available world-wide). Paid for the charge relay since warranty had expired. Service has never nickel and dime'd me perhaps since they had major issues to deal with both times, and/or because I always deliver the carcass and pick it up in person, saving them 225 miles each way. Even if they did, it would be offset by the 'eternal gratitude' in the plus column.

Major components like mine do not get returned to customer since TM needs them to refurb. But minor parts, the originals, should be placed in the trunk as per state law. So next time I take it in for service I'll be sure the crappy blades are back on the car, the radio faceplate is removed, the weakest batteries are in the key, etc.
--

Last edited:
Well, this is strange. I took my C.P.O. Roadster in for its' annual service yesterday. Price: $600. The guys at Rockville haven't even heard of any price increase. I asked if maybe this is for those no longer under warranty, they said that's not it either. Maybe it's some new taxes/fees in California? BTW, they found one loose connection in my PEM (I blame the roads here in Virginia - more pothole than road), so they are giving me a whole new one. I had not been having any troubles at all, not a single alert, so this just shows how incredibly thorough the annual service is. Personally, I think the excellent service I'm getting would be well worth $720.

Tesla always charged me $13 for this — two CR2016 cells at $6.50 each. (For context, on Amazon you can get a ten-pack of CR2016’s from a reputable manufacturer like Maxell for about $5.)

The irony is that I have one Roadster key on my keyring, which I use, and another Roadster key by itself, which I don’t use, which is the one I leave when the car is being serviced.

So, the key I use is still on the original cells and is still working fine, but the key I don’t use has had its unused cells thrown in the trash every year. (At $13/yr, that adds up to $65 over five years.)

Just in case anyone else used this as a prompt to change the key batteries, my 1.5 Roadster key does not use CR2016 type. It uses CR1616 (2 per key fob).

2x CR1616 in Roadster 1.5 key

Just in case anyone else used this as a prompt to change the key batteries, my 1.5 Roadster key does not use CR2016 type. It uses CR1616 (2 per key fob).

I’d somehow got it into my head that it used a pair of CR2016s, but since my daily-use key is still on its original cells and I haven’t yet needed to replace them, I’d never actually opened the key to look. I just checked, and you are absolutely right. It has a pair of CR1616 cells.

Roadster-Key-CR1616.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea to replace them every year, or at least every other year. Have you ever had one go dead? It's a pain.

I’m uncomfortable throwing away batteries just because they might be running low.

The same applies to other things like the batteries in the TV remote control. I don’t like the idea that when the TV remote control doesn’t seem to be working reliably I just reflexively replace the batteries. And then next month when the remote control doesn’t seem to be working reliably I do it again. And again the next month. And then I realize that the batteries weren’t the problem, and I’ve been throwing away perfectly good batteries for no reason.

So a few years ago I bought myself a Pulse Load Battery Tester from ZTS. Unlike battery testers that just test the voltage, which is a poor indicator of battery capacity, a pulse load tester draws a brief high current drain from the battery and measures how the voltage dips in response, and uses that to give a more accurate estimate of remaining battery capacity. It’s not cheap — I could throw away a lot of AA batteries for the price of the battery tester — but my scientific side places a value on knowledge that’s above what a strictly rational financial assessment would justify. I now don’t throw out batteries unless I actually know that they’re dead.

Still, your posting reminded me that it would be a good idea to check the cells in my Roadster key. I just did, and both register 80% on the ZTS battery tester, so I think they’re good for now. I suspect that because the Roadster key only transmits when you actually press a button, the cells can last for quite a long time. I’ll remember to check them once a year, and replace them when they do get low.

Even better is to buy rechargeable batteries like eneloop for things like TV remotes. They should last many many years and can then be recycled. Many places won't accept traditional alkaline batteries anymore for recycling it seems.

Even better is to buy rechargeable batteries like eneloop for things like TV remotes. They should last many many years and can then be recycled. Many places won't accept traditional alkaline batteries anymore for recycling it seems.

I agree. When rechargeable batteries used to self-discharge in 4-6 weeks they were inconvenient for things like TV remote controls. Now that we have low-self-discharge rechargeables like Sanyo Eneloop, they’re much more practical for low-drain devices where you don’t want to have to pointlessly change the battery every few weeks.

I’m also a big fan of the La Crosse BC1000 battery charger. It charges each cell separately, instead of in pairs like a lot of chargers, so it avoids damaging cells by overcharging. It also has a test mode which will charge, then discharge, then recharge each cell, and report the measured mAh capacity. If you feel like some cells don’t seem to be lasting as long as they used to, but you’re not sure if it’s your imagination, you can use the BC1000 to find out before you throw them away.

I know this is off topic but one more point. Look for Nick the Engineer reviews on Amazon about that BC1000 and eneloop batteries. He always does a good job reviewing them.

Anyway, I agree throwing away good batteries just in case is a waste.

Back on track, I was in Tesla Palo Alto recently, and while labor for Model S is $175/hour, labor for Roadster is $200/hour.

I agree with wiztecy that cleaning of the PEM is probably the most important thing you get for the annual service. I've had very dirty PEMs - even to the point of having cooling issues just before previous annual servicing, and so brought the car in and after the PEM was blown out, no more cooling problems.

Just had my 1st annual service on the CPO Roadster I bought last year. Had no idea about the $50 wiper blade and got hit with that. I'll decline next year.

Cost of the service was $600, but I think I got screwed on something else. I broke the clips on the dome light and asked them to replace it. I was putting in an LED and well, I screwed up. Anyway, the housing was $30 but they charged $120 for the labor. That's crazy. It's literally unplugging the wires and plugging them into new housing, then putting the light back in place. No way that should cost $120. Funny, it totals the magic $720.

They also didn't charge up my car, which is okay I guess - I had 50% with a 3 mile drive home. But the valet drove the car with the top down and didn't put the top back on when he dropped it off. Luckily I had a slow day at work and had time to do it myself, but if I were in a hurry I think I would have been a bit annoyed.

It obviously depends on where you are. I paid 600 last month. I try hard not to have them do anything extra at 200/hr. They gave me a Model S loaner and washed my car inside and out. And waxed the outside. Then painted the hubs on two of the brake rotors because they were getting rusty. I had already painted the other two. Oh, and did I mention the valet service even tho I live 2.5 hrs from the service center? It all seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

My annual service was a total of only $585 including a battery for the key and a new wiper blade (I asked for it though, as it was really needed). I did have them attach and route a longer wire for the key antenna under the sill, but that was a separate charge of $52, reasonable considering the re-routing. The only other extra I paid for was brake fluid, it needed a flush ($16). Pretty good deal, grand total of $657 including tax. Oh, and they found a loose connection in the PEM, so they put in a whole new one. And we know what that would cost! Not to mention, I had a lovely Model S to drive the whole time. But to me, what really makes it worth the money is how very thorough they are. Knowing your Roadster has been checked over with a fine tooth comb - priceless.

When I had my antenna thing done, I had to ask for it specifically. They weren't sure what I was talking about. There's a thread on the forum on it, I'll see if I can find it later but if my memory serves me correctly, Toronto service center "invented" it and I referred my Seattle service center to them for details.

Who did your key antenna thing? I asked costa mesa for that before, they said there's nothing which can be done.