Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Conversion to J1772 Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't said much about this lately as there hasn't been much going on. I keep thinking Tesla will announce their adapter, which will probably have an influence on how many owners want to convert.

I wasn't happy with the J1772 inlet cable assembly I built to demo the conversion and want to do a better version, one that doesn't have a splice in the middle. I also needed to use one of the few public HPCs in the Northwest, so I converted back until I can build a better cable and a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter.

I've been having a difficult time nailing down the right part of the connector on the PEM side. My favorite Amphenol supplier is out of inventory on the connector pins until June, and I'm not 100% certain I have the right part number. I'm not that big on $200 experiments. I've got a couple of efforts underway to get that figured out.

I asked Tesla for info on the part they use on the PEM side of that cable. They said they needed to protect their intellectual property in view of the increased competition from other EV makers. This for an apparently standard Amphenol part, that they stopped using at the end of the 2008 Roadster production. So, apparently, they don't want any competitors catching up with them by using a part they replaced with something that costs about 1% of the original.

I'd really like to be able to charge at the public charging stations to raise awareness about EVs and remind people that there's more on the market than the LEAF and Volt. Tesla apparently doesn't see any value in that, or in giving their owners more choices in how to use the emerging EV charging infrastructure.

Ok, so I've been (too) silent until now. I want the socket conversion. Badly. There are already more J1772 charging stations on Google campus that I can use than there are public HPCs in the state of California. I hate having an outdated socket on my car, and I didn't buy an HPC precisely because I knew it had an outdated connector - I'm not planning on our garage only having one EV in it forever. I've sent email to Tesla, and I'm pretty sure there are other owners out there who just aren't as outgoing as Tom.

Why the heck should the most advanced shipping EV in the world (for at least the next year) have a legacy (eew) socket?

I'm betting by the end of next week.

Did you hear something different from Tesla? That's great news. My customer rep told me sometime next month which I guess could by then. I wonder if the adapter will support the full 75A that the ClipperCreek CS-100 can provide (granted, all of the public chargers are at the lower 30A though). Oh, great choice in color combo too.

Last edited:
Did you hear something different from Tesla? That's great news. My customer rep told me sometime next month which I guess could but then. I wonder if the adapter will support the full 75A that the ClipperCreek CS-100 can provide (granted, all of the public chargers are at the lower 30A though). Oh, great choice in color combo too.

I was told that while Elon has his black Roadster in LA, he now has the arctic white with CF accents parked in Palo Altos. Great minds... you, me, Jaff, Elon. :)

Regarding the adapter - when I was in Menlo Park last weekend, I did talk to a couple of people about the status of the adapter. a It might be next month, but based on what little had to be done (barring any unforeseen problems), it sounds reasonable that it might be before next month. (I couldn't get anyone to give me a range on cost, however. And I tried!) Fingers crossed.

I hope it's cheap. It's something that could easily get stolen while it is on a public charger (unless you stay with your car I guess) so I'm hoping less than $200 but I realize it's probably going to be many times that amount.

...his black Roadster in LA, he now has the arctic white with CF accents parked in Palo Alto...

And SILVER too? : AutoTech Video: We Drive Elon Musks Personal Tesla Roadster Sport

And Burgundy/Twilight-RED too:
13Nov2010 | Tesla | Elon Musk offers Toyotas boss a Roadster 2.5 | TechnologicVehicles.com showroom of electric and hybrid cars green vehicles and green transportation news

...the burgundy-red Roadster 2.5 model, the first in Japan, had been tuned "just like my personal car"...
www.capital.gr - DowJones Newswires
...a limited-edition Tesla Roadster with a custom "twilight red" paint job was presented to Toyoda. The car is a right-hand drive twin of Musk's own left hand drive Roadster, which the Toyota CEO drove during a recent visit to Palo Alto...

Last edited:
I'm hearing the same message on timeframe and why the delay? Availability of 75A capable parts. That makes sense to me, there would be no simple way to ship a 30A cable, how would you prevent someone plugging it into an 80A J1772 and melting the cable? Well, not without having to install inline electronics to modify the pilot signal - too much.

I don't think we'll see a car conversion though, too many regulatory hurdles to re-certify the car. Tom; time to fire up and 'productise' your adapter! I'd be a customer and I'd love to hear TM's opinion on our altering the adapter and its impact on warranty and support.

So price?

I'm hearing the same message on timeframe and why the delay? Availability of 75A capable parts. That makes sense to me, there would be no simple way to ship a 30A cable, how would you prevent someone plugging it into an 80A J1772 and melting the cable? Well, not without having to install inline electronics to modify the pilot signal - too much.

I don't think we'll see a car conversion though, too many regulatory hurdles to re-certify the car. Tom; time to fire up and 'productise' your adapter! I'd be a customer and I'd love to hear TM's opinion on our altering the adapter and its impact on warranty and support.

So price?

I believe (but don't know for a fact) that the issue was more around the interface with the Coulomb ChargePoint network. They were working out a final bug with the interface regarding showing a station as occupied or not. (Not related to charging efficacy.) Again, conversation, and not with the person actually working on the technical details (things do get lost in translation).

Not surprisingly, the adapters are mechanically assembled at the rate of a few a day. I believe they are building up the stock while working out one last detail with Coulomb.

Everyone was mum on the price, wouldn't even play the game of 'is it in this range? ... or in this range?'.

What regulatory hurdles exactly? Seems there were more changes when they went to Roadster 2.0 than this would be.

Don't know for sure, only heard the company line, I imagine the changes to 2.0 where well worth the regulations work but a change in the inlet might not be worth the effort. At the end of the day I can see fire safety, electrical safety being required for a change in inlet. Questions like, does the new inlet manage water ingress ok? Is there enough ventilation around the inlet to handle heat? Is it ok to ignore the proximity signal? I'm guessing on the details but I'll bet there's a phone book thick set of regs to go through. Tesla probably thought, that's a lot of work, the pigtail is cheaper, simpler and requires less disruption for the most of the drivers who charge at home.

I'd go through the disruption though, it'd be cleaner to have the J1772 on the side. I'd like to see a retrofit option or at the minimum an aftermarket option that Tesla, whist not having to bless, acknowledges as not voiding the warranty. That said, what if there's a fire that originates around the PEM? Tesla problem or my converted inlet?

I believe (but don't know for a fact) that the issue was more around the interface with the Coulomb ChargePoint network. They were working out a final bug with the interface regarding showing a station as occupied or not. (Not related to charging efficacy.) Again, conversation, and not with the person actually working on the technical details (things do get lost in translation).

I've charged from the ChargePoint Network. I did have an issue, initially it wouldn't start until I unplugged my J1772 pigtail (part #TM/MPThack1) and reassembled it in the correct order (see instructions with pigtail). But, once it started it was fine.

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

Pretty sure if they changed the component, they would be going through the CE process again. Not sure with regards to how it works with UL.

What I do know is that the MINI E charger on the wall at home can't have it's cord changed to J1772 (By BMW) as that would invalidate its UL certification; it couldn't even be re-certified after the conversion, it has to be designed, certified, built and shipped sealed. BMW have opted to abandon them.

What I do know is that the MINI E charger on the wall at home can't have it's cord changed to J1772 (By BMW) as that would invalidate its UL certification; it couldn't even be re-certified after the conversion, it has to be designed, certified, built and shipped sealed. BMW have opted to abandon them.

Not surprising. For UL to be willing to certify, they have to inspect the process somewhere along the food chain. BMW could technically do the work in their facility, with documented process, trained people, & UL could certify the rework.

But my guess is that BMW doesn't want to go thru that (huge PITA), so is just saying 'can't be done'. However, nothing is stopping an end user from doing it at home IF they have enough knowledge on how to do it. To the best of my knowledge (handy phrase, that), UL doesn't get to poke their noses into private homes. But yes, certification would be gone.