Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Conversion to J1772 Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not the engineering, though the people don't work cheap and are probably kinda busy right now. It's the recertification processes(s). The Roadster production run is limited. It's just not cost effective. The adapter is much cheaper.

I'm not convinced. It's not like they have to crash test the cars after changing the plug.

The last time I had UL/CSA testing done on a piece of electrical equipment, it cost $10,000. Given that it's already passed certification with a different plug, there isn't much risk involved; it should pass on the first try.

It's not like they have to crash test the cars after changing the plug.

I'm not an automotive engineer. I don't play one on TV. My last encounter with UL was 30 years ago. I don't know what regulatory hoops Tesla would have to jump through.

I do think people easily underestimate the trouble other people have to go through.

I'm not an automotive engineer. I don't play one on TV. My last encounter with UL was 30 years ago. I don't know what regulatory hoops Tesla would have to jump through.

I do think people easily underestimate the trouble other people have to go through.

Sure, but as an engineer with some experience in the area of electrical certification, I sincerely doubt this is terribly daunting. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the real problem is getting an off-the-shelf J1772 plug to fit.

TM has made it available:

tesla-j1772-mobile-connector-standardizes-roadster-costs-750/

j1772-1-roadster04292011.jpg

I'm sure that TM could off load some of the cost on Roadster owners to help with the cost...I'd rather pay a premium for a more preferred, convenient solution...

I'm not convinced. It's not like they have to crash test the cars after changing the plug.

The last time I had UL/CSA testing done on a piece of electrical equipment, it cost $10,000. Given that it's already passed certification with a different plug, there isn't much risk involved; it should pass on the first try.

I ordered the adapter, but didn't get to it until later in the day. Result: Backordered (no prediction how long).

The announcement mentioned the firmware update for VIN > 500. Where was the information about a firmware update for 1.5 Roadsters to work with the Aerovironment EVSE?

At the opening of the Santana Row store, I had a chance to talk with Elon and I urged him to develop a J1772 conversion for the Roadster. That is clearly the right solution.

I ordered the adapter, but didn't get to it until later in the day. Result: Backordered (no prediction how long).

The announcement mentioned the firmware update for VIN > 500. Where was the information about a firmware update for 1.5 Roadsters to work with the Aerovironment EVSE?
The FW update for 1.5 Roadsters was mentioned by a Tesla employee in a private conversation I had after reporting no-op with AV EVSEs.

Would it be possible embed the new Tesla J1772 adapter right into the car to get the same effect Tomsax has with the one he built for his car?

1) Take the current Roadster charge receptical off the charge port and move it to somewhere back into the empty space above the wheel.
2) Connect it at its new location to the J1772 adapter
3) Mount the J1772 receptical where the current Roadster charge receptical used to be. The 4 foot cable of course also needs to be pushed back up into the space above the wheel and secured.

Crazy idea maybe.....

What's interesting about that approach is that if we create our own pigtail and locate it to the left of the PEM on the 2.x cars, we've not fiddled with the TM wiring & if needs be, TM can unplug the pigtail and access the original inlet during service, etc.

Another location might be the huge space where the subwoofer goes.

I have a 2.0 Roadster being delivered to me and I just want to make sure that I have everything I need to charge the car. There is a Coulomb tech tall boy near my office that has a J1772 plug - so basically if I want to use it, I need to purchase a converter AND get a firmware update?

thanks