TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster Conversion to J1772 Charging

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tomsax, Jan 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm not convinced. It's not like they have to crash test the cars after changing the plug.

The last time I had UL/CSA testing done on a piece of electrical equipment, it cost $10,000. Given that it's already passed certification with a different plug, there isn't much risk involved; it should pass on the first try.

2. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

I'm not an automotive engineer. I don't play one on TV. My last encounter with UL was 30 years ago. I don't know what regulatory hoops Tesla would have to jump through.

I do think people easily underestimate the trouble other people have to go through.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

They'd have to certify the adapter though, surely?

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Sure, but as an engineer with some experience in the area of electrical certification, I sincerely doubt this is terribly daunting. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the real problem is getting an off-the-shelf J1772 plug to fit.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Perhaps when a retrofit is available, it will incorporate DC fast charging as well. Wouldn't that be nice!!

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That would require a new PEM. Unlikely. Expensive.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Just thinking "upgrade"!

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I'm sure that TM could off load some of the cost on Roadster owners to help with the cost...I'd rather pay a premium for a more preferred, convenient solution...

10. slcasner

slcasner Member

I ordered the adapter, but didn't get to it until later in the day. Result: Backordered (no prediction how long).

The announcement mentioned the firmware update for VIN > 500. Where was the information about a firmware update for 1.5 Roadsters to work with the Aerovironment EVSE?

At the opening of the Santana Row store, I had a chance to talk with Elon and I urged him to develop a J1772 conversion for the Roadster. That is clearly the right solution.

11. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

The FW update for 1.5 Roadsters was mentioned by a Tesla employee in a private conversation I had after reporting no-op with AV EVSEs.

12. SByer

SByer '08 #383

As owners, we need to keep poking Tesla on this one. In my email, I mentioned my 'no-brainer' and 'think-about' price targets and theft concerns with public charging stations.

13. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

J1772 is here

My J1772 Adapter was delivered today and it looks like it will do the job nicely. I plan to give it a high powered test in 10 days.

14. slcasner

slcasner Member

I received my backordered J1772 adapter yesterday. Now I need to find a charger to test on.

15. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

Would it be possible embed the new Tesla J1772 adapter right into the car to get the same effect Tomsax has with the one he built for his car?

1) Take the current Roadster charge receptical off the charge port and move it to somewhere back into the empty space above the wheel.
    2) Connect it at its new location to the J1772 adapter
    3) Mount the J1772 receptical where the current Roadster charge receptical used to be. The 4 foot cable of course also needs to be pushed back up into the space above the wheel and secured.

Crazy idea maybe.....

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

^^^
    I have heard that one (essentially) before...

17. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

What's interesting about that approach is that if we create our own pigtail and locate it to the left of the PEM on the 2.x cars, we've not fiddled with the TM wiring & if needs be, TM can unplug the pigtail and access the original inlet during service, etc.

Another location might be the huge space where the subwoofer goes.

18. zack

zack Member

Speaking of, where is that space?

19. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

If you look down the slot where the left hand lift strut goes, you'll see an open space. TM use that to locate the sub-woofer.

20. augkuo

augkuo Member

I have a 2.0 Roadster being delivered to me and I just want to make sure that I have everything I need to charge the car. There is a Coulomb tech tall boy near my office that has a J1772 plug - so basically if I want to use it, I need to purchase a converter AND get a firmware update?

thanks