TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster key problem

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Timothy, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

My key had poked a hole in the pocket of my third suit! On our FIAT 500e the metal part of the key bends into the handle so the pointed part is covered when in your pocket and only comes out when you push a button on it. Any solution for the big key on the Roadster? I have a leather case for my house and office keys, and have now started jamming the point of the Roadster key in to it before dropping it into my pocket.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or found a solution?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Never had a problem with my Roadster key. I don't even bother taking it off the keychain in the winter.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I carry a purse.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#4 wiztecy, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    You could pull the Roadster copper key out and make a custom flip mount for it, then have the door fob as a separate dangling entity like a typical fob system off the keychain. Just have to make sure your flip mounting system can take the stresses of the Roadster key on/off turn. It has some good pressure to it. I never had an issue with mine so no need to modify.

Possibly you could move the guts of the Roadster keyfob to one of these flip key fobs. Well you get my idea:

flip key | eBay

DIY how to using a Honda Key:
    DIY: Flip Key with Lots of Pictures!!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

5. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

You could push a bit of rubber tubing over the sharp end.

6. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

The key comes off of the fob. Drill it with a new hole and that will shorten it up a bit...

That being said, I would just learn to live with it.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The Roadster key is little different from car keys I've been using my entire driving life (43 years of driving) and I've never had a key put a hole in a pants pocket.

8. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

#8 sethr, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
    My Roadster came with 4 keys - two with fobs and two without.
    I always assumed that's how they all came. Is this not the case? (It's 3/4 inch shorter)

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#9 wiztecy, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Is the glovebox lockable on the 2.x? From what I understand the glovebox only locks when the car is put into Valet Mode and appears to have no keylock.

The 1.5 Roadsters don't have the box and came with 2 keys both with a FOB attached.

10. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Ours is a 2.0, and only came with the two fob keys, no non-fob ones.

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

In the pics looks like the copper key is the same length on both, the keyed patterns on both keys appear to be identical so they have the same function. Difference is one set has the fob electronics where the other one is bare. So it just looks like an inexpensive emergency backup set.

Possibly the second owner (since its a CPO) had a lock company or some non-Tesla supplier make an extra set. I don't see any Tesla markings on the bare set of keys.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

In Canada the fob is required in order to start the car.

A key without fob would only unlock the trunk, and I guess the driver's door too (emergency lock). Might set off the alarm, though.

13. Chris Lockfort

Chris Lockfort 2008 Roadster 1.5 + 2015 Zero SR

It sets off the alarm. Found out the hard way when the electronics in one of my key fobs died and I had to unlock that way. You can turn off the alarm semi-immediately though by sticking the fob-less key in the ignition and turning, but the car still will not "start" until you key in your pin code into the touchscreen.

14. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Member

The "fob-less" key is the valet key. When you put the Roadster in valet mode, you give the valet the "fob-less" key so they can't open the trunk or deactivate valet mode with the buttons on the fob, but still start and drive the Roadster.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Makes sense for USA Roadsters. In Canada it won't start without the fob (we have an immobilzer regulation) and entering the PIN will not work. (We do have a valet mode that reduces power... one of the very few things the PIN is good for).

16. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

#16 Timothy, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
    Great idea. I am just afraid of screwing the key and remote up so I will chicken out. The idea of a rubber tube (condom!) certainly would work. I have taken to stuffing the time of the key into the key holder for my other keys. Not very elegant, but it seems to work. Key for Tesla (6).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

That is to say stuffing the 'tip' of my key.....

17. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

My STRONG suggestion is to remove those pictures of your keys ASAP.

ANYONE can counterfeit your keys now and break into your house.

I would re-tool your house locks to accept new keys.

You should NEVER post images of keys! It is like posting all you bank account information. A thief can now make perfect keys.

MODS, please delete these pictures for the safety of the poster.

Best,

T

18. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Have to agree :(

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

(Deleted, posted in error, sorry)

20. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

It looks to me if you button that leather key keeper that the Tesla key would slide right in there and that'd prevent any holes in your pockets.... Problem solved.

If that doesn't work, punch 2 or 4 holes in your key keeper, then run one or two leather laces through the holes (one leather lace per 2 holes). Next slide the Tesla key through the holes, ensure the leather lace is tight enough to grip the key but not allow the pointy end to poke out.

If you "edit" your post, there's a delete "radio button" and a delete key that will remove your post.