Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on destination charging doesn't work outside of North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No good deed goes unpunished! I installed a destination charger at a local establishment, and as luck has it is the newer model with the plug on the side. My Roadster would not charge with the CAN SR. Does anyone know of the status of a fix? The Clipper Creek we installed along side of it did work. I have successfully charged on three older models of the Model S charger.

Sorry to say but the roadster is simply not sending a signal to the destination charger therefore you can't charge there if it is a destination charger restricted for Tesla. There are old destination chargers and some "free for every EV" destination chargers a Roadster can charge. They are not asking for the signal to be sent. If Henry would build a box faking this signal then it would work but I assume this should be really expensive. As far as I know there is someone in US changing the charge port of a Roadster to Chademo. I will think about it as soon as I'm having my Roadster back from the museum and upgraded to R80 or something available then ;)

Does Tesla have ANY competent product managers in their charging program? Freezing out Roadsters from destination charging is just the latest in a long list of screw ups. Honestly, Tesla is fast becoming WORSE than big supposedly out of touch companies to deal with. Their mistakes and then subsequent lack of communication is just horrible.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sorry to say but the roadster is simply not sending a signal to the destination charger therefore you can't charge there if it is a destination charger restricted for Tesla. There are old destination chargers and some "free for every EV" destination chargers a Roadster can charge. They are not asking for the signal to be sent. If Henry would build a box faking this signal then it would work but I assume this should be really expensive. As far as I know there is someone in US changing the charge port of a Roadster to Chademo. I will think about it as soon as I'm having my Roadster back from the museum and upgraded to R80 or something available then ;)
The reason I'm not building a box to fake the serial comms is that a simpler solution is eventually coming. The problem is of course that many of us need the solution implemented yesterday. I'm trying to be patient...

• Informative
Does Tesla have ANY competent product managers in their charging program? Freezing out Roadsters from destination charging is just the latest in a long list of screw ups. Honestly, Tesla is fast becoming WORSE than big supposedly out of touch companies to deal with. Their mistakes and then subsequent lack of communication is just horrible.
Well, yes you're right, but I try to look at it this way: At least they didn't say "sorry you're out of luck, we're nose to the grindstone on M3 and there are 100x as many S & X drivers we have to worry about..." Tesla is growing at a rate of 30% per year and it's hard to avoid chaos when that happens.

Cosmacelf, that Roadsters won't be able to charge on Superchargers and Destination chargers is not an error, it was communicated by Elon Musk in 2013 at a presentation I was taking part.
If you would have a company selling 2500 units and then 400.000, would you invest money to support the first 2500 knowing that maybe only 50% of them ar used by the customers? I'm happy with my Roadster not expecting anything from Tesla. That Elon is giving us the opportunity to buy a bigger battery is simply awesome and shows his gratitude and generosity.
If Tesla is now thinking about to make the Roadsters compatible to destination chargers this would give me the feeling being one of the cared sons of Tesla; this is my oppinion. I got my dreams coming true and enjoyed 5 years what others till today don't even know about it and I'm very thankful for it.

• Disagree
Cosmacelf, that Roadsters won't be able to charge on Superchargers and Destination chargers is not an error, it was communicated by Elon Musk in 2013 at a presentation I was taking part.
If you would have a company selling 2500 units and then 400.000, would you invest money to support the first 2500 knowing that maybe only 50% of them ar used by the customers? I'm happy with my Roadster not expecting anything from Tesla. That Elon is giving us the opportunity to buy a bigger battery is simply awesome and shows his gratitude and generosity.
If Tesla is now thinking about to make the Roadsters compatible to destination chargers this would give me the feeling being one of the cared sons of Tesla; this is my oppinion. I got my dreams coming true and enjoyed 5 years what others till today don't even know about it and I'm very thankful for it.

Really? Why was there so much confusion on the issue of Roadster incompatibility then? That's what this thread is all about, lack of Tesla communication on this issue. Where were you 80 posts ago?

Really? Why was there so much confusion on the issue of Roadster incompatibility then? That's what this thread is all about, lack of Tesla communication on this issue. Where were you 80 posts ago?
Yep, just a lack of communication. I've been circumnavigating the the world twice first with the Roadster then with the Model S: www.80edays.com and not logging in this often to the forum due to lack of time ;)
Already driven more than 200.000 miles crossing 32 nations of this world without any charging issue and I'm not a technical expert, just a normal user who is really happy :)

• Love
Reactions: markwj and GSP
Are you sure of that? Super Charging I agree as that is a significant redesign. But there is no reason to limit destination chargers. In fact the Roadsters worked fine on them for years. But a redesign this year caused the issue.

Are you sure of that? Super Charging I agree as that is a significant redesign. But there is no reason to limit destination chargers. In fact the Roadsters worked fine on them for years. But a redesign this year caused the issue.

I agree, Tron's recent post makes no sense. A Roadster firmware change coincident with the new destination chargers would have solved the problem. Instead it was forgotten about. That's lack of Tesla internal process.

Thinking about it, isn't limiting destination chargers to just Tesla's a rather dickish move? Other EV manufacturers have indeed also subsidized chargers, both J1772 and Chademo and Tesla makes use of both through adapters. Now other EV owners make an adapter for a Tesla destination charger and that's being restricted? Seems hypocritical, and not in keeping with Elon's goal of electrification. Was Tesla open sourcing their patents just a PR move then?

Coming... from Tesla? Or from you?
Coming from Tesla.

That's true for superchargers but not Destination chargers. The staff who run the Destination charging program have always been very supportive of Roadster drivers and made it clear the network is for us as much as any other Tesla automobile.

Thinking about it, isn't limiting destination chargers to just Tesla's a rather dickish move? Other EV manufacturers have indeed also subsidized chargers, both J1772 and Chademo and Tesla makes use of both through adapters. Now other EV owners make an adapter for a Tesla destination charger and that's being restricted? Seems hypocritical, and not in keeping with Elon's goal of electrification. Was Tesla open sourcing their patents just a PR move then?

I don't want to hijack this thread for a discussion that's been discussed at length in other threads but I think it's important to clarify some facts. First, no other manufacturer has subsidized chargers to even a small fraction of the extent that Tesla has, and even when they did (Nissan) they made it clear that their customers had first priority. Tesla's Destination network has largely been paid for by Tesla (so indirectly, us). In addition, at many of the Destinations Tesla paid for a J1772 charger for use by other brands (please consider this is the opposite of "a rather dickish move"). There are way, way more of these than all the chargers subsidized by other manufacturers put together. While Elon/Tesla have said their goal is to further electric mobility, they've also said that other manufacturers need to step up and do their part. If the other carmakers are able to ride on the back of Tesla for charging infrastructure then none of them will ever feel obligated to do anything to build the network bigger. Ultimately this will not be beneficial to the overall goal of furthering electric mobility.