Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on destination charging doesn't work outside of North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Handy connectors? Unless he knows something that I don't, which is possible, you can't get 120v from 240 without neutral or a transformer. Maybe he has a small transformer in there but it doesn't look like it. A lot of power supplies for computers, iPads, smart phones, etc are made for 100 - 240v so a lot of them would work but he would need a different outlet than the 120v shown in the pics. And you're right the charging would be very slow with such small wires.
I'm just going by the first video, where he's charging a Leaf from a Tesla destination charger. No 120v involved. Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm just going by the first video, where he's charging a Leaf from a Tesla destination charger. No 120v involved. Are we talking about the same thing?
In my post I mentioned this device:
diginow-j1772-three-way-nema-1.jpg

It's not clear to me. Can this thing hook up to a real Tesla *Destination Charger* with electronic handshake or not?
For the Leaf charger, my guess is that it is passive, which would explain why it doesn't work on all chargers. The newer ones, the ones requiring the handshake, wouldn't work. But the older ones (i.e. the ones that work for us) probably work just fine.

That said, and being pretty much in the dark regarding electric bikes, I don't know what the box in the second video (the un-boxing) contains. I assume it is just a 240 volt (input) power supply, with some sort of pilot hack, sans handshake. But, who knows?

Hi all,
I got the error message "Charging problem" when trying to charge on the new Tesla locked HPWC's in Denmark with Henry's Can EU and the 4.6.8.40 firmware on my 2010 2.5 sport. Is that the normal error message ? Thought it would a be pilot signal error message.
These 3 Tesla only HPWC's are flanked by 3 open access Tesla HPWC's, however I could only charge with 230v/16 amp on the open access HPWCs... anybody have an idea why? Could they be set at only 16 amp? I could not increase the amp.
Normally I can charge 60 amp on the ABBs fast AC 43 Kw (E.ON operated).
Any input would be awesome
Thanks

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 66
Hi all,
I got the error message "Charging problem" when trying to charge on the new Tesla locked HPWC's in Denmark with Henry's Can EU and the 4.6.8.40 firmware on my 2010 2.5 sport. Is that the normal error message ? Thought it would a be pilot signal error message.
These 3 Tesla only HPWC's are flanked by 3 open access Tesla HPWC's, however I could only charge with 230v/16 amp on the open access HPWCs... anybody have an idea why? Could they be set at only 16 amp? I could not increase the amp.
Thanks
This is not surprising. If you got 16 amps, they must be set for 16 amps 3 phase, which matches the single charger capability of the Model S, which is 11kW. If they were smart, they would have paired the chargers to share 32 amps 3 phase, so that if you were the only one charging on the pair, you could draw 32 amps. Fast AC 43kW is 62 amps per phase, so that makes perfect sense too.

Handy connectors? Unless he knows something that I don't, which is possible, you can't get 120v from 240 without neutral or a transformer. Maybe he has a small transformer in there but it doesn't look like it. A lot of power supplies for computers, iPads, smart phones, etc are made for 100 - 240v so a lot of them would work but he would need a different outlet than the 120v shown in the pics. And you're right the charging would be very slow with such small wires.

I also imagine it's just that he's exposing 240V on the nema 5-15R plugs. This is (obviously) non-standard and non-spec, but as you pointed out many devices/chargers have universal AC power supplies and are happy enough taking in 240V (some with a switch, etc), and will do so with half the current that they normally would, which is why you can get away just fine with skinny wires.

It's pretty common for other charging solutions for the Zero motorcycle (which he and I also own, and what his supercharger is intended for) to push 240V through an IEC C13/C14 connection at one end, so other out-of-spec connector usage should be expected from this community.

Hi all,
Thanks
Is Denmark one of the countries where the electric code requires 16A when using only one phase out of three? I know it doesn't apply to the high-power 43kW stations but it might be required with the 32A 3-ph stations.

I am planing to drive to a Destination Charger next week that has the charger pictured...Is this the style that is liable to not work.? I have contacted them to see if they have had any Roadsters successfully charged in the past...
Tesla charger.jpeg

That charger is one of the older models that should work. I would caution you to have a backup plan.

You can tell the newer ones that usually don't work by how the connector is docked. Your picture has a separate holder. The new ones dock in the side of the wall charger. There are very few Destination chargers in Europe of the old kind that you pictured because Tesla didn't really get up to speed installing Destination Chargers until the new EU wall charger was released. You may be lucky to have found an older model or your picture is suspect. Why do I say that? First, it looks like a stock photo from Tesla, not a picture of the actual Destination charger. Second, it looks like a North American version wall charger, although I can't tell for sure from the picture.

If I were you I would ask the host when the wall charger was installed. If it was a year or more ago then you're probably OK. I would also ask how many chargers Tesla installed for them. If more than 2, one of them will usually work.

Thanks for the replies - I got the Hotel in Italy to send me pictures of the chargers. The strange thing, as someone mentioned up thread, is that there is a white sign and a red sign - If I understand correctly it is the white sign that works? I really don't mind - just that 1 of these will work - I have put my trip back til the following week because I have a lot of stuff to transport...I am really looking forward to doing it!
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

In CH-8050 Zurich Swissotel i investigated the 3 DC installed january 17. (Total 10 DC 4 location)
1x silver Sign "Electric Vehicle" TPN:1050071-01-G public
2x red Sign "Tesla Vehicle" TPN: 1050071-03-G (like picture above)
2 different Product Nr., higher Number, later edition
identical instruction for connection and adjustments
diffrence probably only software, no selection for tesla or public

EVSE Tester & Zoe210, Zoe240 activate only public
Pilot timing seams not acording Mode 3, Zoe210&240 first to Alarm, later charged without intervention
EVSE Tester: after plugin, state B wating extra time to C "ready Charge",
by normal sequence DC Alarm: steady red

Did somone record thePilotsignal with Model S/X have no access to S/X
If there is a S/X-Enthusiast around CH-8050 i bring my recorer

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
In CH-8050 Zurich Swissotel i investigated the 3 DC installed january 17. (Total 10 DC 4 location)
1x silver Sign "Electric Vehicle" TPN:1050071-01-G public
2x red Sign "Tesla Vehicle" TPN: 1050071-03-G (like picture above)
2 different Product Nr., higher Number, later edition
identical instruction for connection and adjustments
diffrence probably only software, no selection for tesla or public

EVSE Tester & Zoe210, Zoe240 activate only public
Pilot timing seams not acording Mode 3, Zoe210&240 first to Alarm, later charged without intervention
EVSE Tester: after plugin, state B wating extra time, 12 sec. to C "ready Charge",
by normal sequence result: DC Alarm: steady red

Did somone record thePilotsignal with Model S/X have no access to S/X
If there is a S/X-Enthusiast around CH-8050 i bring my recorder