TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster on road course? Sustained performance?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by Lightman, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Lightman

Lightman New Member

Hey guys - new to the forum here and new to EV, so please pardon the ignorance inherent in this question... We all know Tesla vehicles can accelerate really quickly in a straight line, however I have heard they go into limp mode etc when flogged repeatedly. Of course during normal daily driving this isn't possible in most scenarios due to traffic and safety, but what about at the track? I enjoy running my cars at Sebring, and wondered when or IF an EV will be able to do it. Thanks, HEAVILY considering putting a deposit down...although the lack of info is a bit disconcerting, buying simply on looks and stats is tempting but tough. Thanks for any info and perspective.

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

First, I have to say "limp mode" is not a correct way to put it. In the existing Roadster, and Model S & X, the motor overheats after the equivalent of a couple of laps of a normal track. This reduces the maximum power available, although it is still plenty to cruise at 80mph on a freeway. There's an annual EV meet at Laguna Seca, a number of threads about it on here.

However Tesla is switching motor designs, and it is rumored that a Model 3 has been seen running continuous fast laps. At the reveal of the new Roadster, it ran Ludicrous launches for about 5 hours straight, no slowdown reported.

3. Lightman

Lightman New Member

Thanks for your reply, ggr. In the 20 or so track days I do per year, I've yet to see a Tesla vehicle do a lap, so I was just curious. No idea how this roadster is going to handle, but I guess we will have to wait and see! Can't wait to see this thing!