Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on Top Gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Vs BBC: Top Gear Planned Dead Electric Car Shot Before Test

I think this is TM's strongest argument and, the one that will do the most damage. You know those cracks that you get in your windscreen when a car frame flexes, well, I see this suit as that flex in TG's car.

At the minimum, just shining a light on the fact that it's pre-scripted will help. Even if they continue to show the episode, the knowledge that it isn't factual and is just a bunch of guys cocking around might diffuse its impact.

A lot of comments about Nikki's article...most appear to be of the mind that the viewer should know that TG is an entertainment show.

If so, where's TG's disclaimer advising their viewers that they are in fact an entertainment show?

If TG put such disclaimer at the start of their show, would any auto maker allow TG to "review" their product?...what would be the incentive for an auto maker to allow their product to go on a show like this knowing full well that it may be unfairly portrayed?

...If TG put such disclaimer at the start of their show, would any auto maker allow TG to "review" their product?...what would be the incentive for an auto maker to allow their product to go on a show like this knowing full well that it may be unfairly portrayed?

By the way. I fully believe they fudge the track time numbers for dramatic purposes. Not only the Stig's times but especially the celeb runs.

It's all about drama, comedy, and ratings.

It's all about drama, comedy, and ratings.

In a sense, but you'll probably agree that alone wouldn't seem to explain the repeated anti-EV bias in BBC and TG. Consider the final verdict:

The first electric car that you might actually want to buy, it's just a shame that in the real world, it doesn't seem to work.

"Actually" and "real world". Are these words really just for drama? Which is the "real world"? Their show? TG's race track? Or the potential customer who considers buying a Roadster (or other EV)? Are they pushing hydrogen just for drama of the show, or (also) because they want to have an impact on the future of cars, including purchase decisions of the audience?

All good points Norbert, especially the "real world" comment.

"Actually" and "real world". Are these words really just for drama? Which is the "real world"? Their show? TG's race track? Or the potential customer who considers buying a Roadster (or other EV)? Are they pushing hydrogen just for drama of the show, or (also) because they want to have an impact on the future of cars, including purchase decisions of the audience?

I was speaking with a friend who is a car guy and who I would consider neutral about TM and electric vehicles this morning.

Judging from his comments and the posted comments on Nikki's article, it appears that most "car guys" consider TG to be pure entertainment.

However, can one consider all viewers of TG (especially casual viewers like myself) to be car guys? To me, it would be an absurd premise to assume that everyone who has seen even just one episode of TG is a "car guy" thus it is not a stretch to consider that a casual viewer of TG may view TG as an honest, unbaised source of credible market information which logically may be used when considering the purchase of a specific vehicle.

A couple of points:

The segment immediately following the Tesla segment was a segment pushing fuel cells. Panning the Tesla laid the predicate for their fuel cell message.

One one episode filmed in the U.S. concerning a Corvette, a Challenger, and another U.S. car, the Top Gear presenters claimed that their visas did not allow them to be entertaining.

In a sense, but you'll probably agree that alone wouldn't seem to explain the repeated anti-EV bias in BBC and TG. Consider the final verdict:

All good points and this thread has the revelation that not only is the next segment about the Honda Fuel Cell program in Los Angeles (as the only "relevant" electric car future )(and hosted by their supposed "science" guy") but it was filling up hydrogen pressure at a Shell station who is one of the TG traveling road show sponsors. From memory, that segment was very slight on the downsides compared to any other car review.

Response from the Top Gear executive producer:

Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

...It's alleged by Tesla that on the day of filming one of their employees caught sight of a script that had been written, before the car had even been driven, already containing the verdict that in the "real world" the Tesla doesn't work. This, they say, proves our guilt, because we'd condemned the car in advance. May I just say in reply:

a) The truth is, Top Gear had already driven the car prior to filming, to enable us to form a view on it in advance

b) Our primary reasoning behind the verdict had nothing to do with how the Tesla performed; our conclusion was based primarily on the fact that it costs three times more than the petrol sports car upon which it's based, and it takes a long time to recharge; you can't use it as easily as a petrol sports car for the carefree motoring journeys that are a prerequisite of sports car driving. You can actually reach conclusions based on them without driving the car. ...

Glad someone posted this because Jalopnik still can't get their site working on mobile.

They are on dodgy ground there because their magazine reviewers drove the car a few months before the TV review and liked it, as we saw up thread.

Top Gear does not keep quiet when manufacturers push back

On one episode attempting to compare Rolls, Bentley, and Mercedes as the best gangsters' car in Albania, apparently Bentley refused to provide a car. TG used a Yugo or similar car as a stand in. It was so silly that I do not think it hurt Bentley.

In an episode involving a Corvette, Challenger and another American car, TG made the point that Chrysler would not provide them with a Challenger so they had to pay $10k over sticker to buy one for the test. Reasonable people can differ as to whether this hurt Challenger. Some would say that the $10k over sticker showed dealer greed. Others would say it underscored the demand for the car.

G

Legal Fees in England

It would be useful if an English barrister would weigh in on potential legal fees.

I understand that the hourly rates in England are much higher than in the U.S., but discovery is more restricted (so the total fees might not be more).

Unlike the usual rule in the U.S., the looser in England often has to pay the winner's attorney fees.

Glad someone posted this because Jalopnik still can't get their site working on mobile.
Here it is from Top Gear's site:
Transmission: Tesla vs Top Gear: Andy Wilman on our current legal action

The producer guy basically admits they reached their conclusion without driving the car. I'm pretty sure the message they wanted to drive home was anti-BEV and pro hydrogen.

After the Stig takes the Roadster for an impressive lap around the Top Gear test track, Clarson concludes:
Exactly the same time as a Porsche 911 GT3 and that is incredible but also, as James will explain later, completely irrelevant.

James May in his segment on the FCX Clarity puts in his final nail against batteries:
One day we will, sadly, run out of oil. Then we'll need something else. Now electric cars have always seemed very promising. But as long as they're powered by batteries, then don't quite cut it. ... We've built our lives around the car as we know it. You get in - you drive as far as you want to go - you fill up - you drive some more. That is the freedom that a petrol powered car gives you. If it's replaced with something that goes for ten yards and then takes four hours to bring back to life, we'll have gone backwards. The [hydrogen fuel cell powered] Clarity, though, is different. It fits the life we already have. The reason it's the car of the future is because it's just like the car of today.

The one with... the electric cars - BBC Top Gear

Would be nice if the Shell funding of this pro-hydrogen bias was also exposed from this lawsuit.