Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster on Top Gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.php?attachmentid=1810&d=1305504744.jpg

Attachments

• TG-edu.jpg
    TG-edu.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 385
Nissan has learned nothing imo...lending a vehicle to TG is not a double edged sword, it is a sure thing (for an EV) that they will concoct some sort of buncombe to trash it.

Nissan should have learned from the TM (EV) TG experience, grown a pair, and told TG to take a hike...not a tough decision at all!

"However, the episode was enough to have the MD of Nissan UK worried too. In a blog on the manufacturer's website for dealers, NissanInsider.co.uk, boss Paul Willcox explained it was always a tough decision for manufacturers whether to lend cars to Top Gear.

"Some of you may be wondering why we let Top Gear borrow a LEAF at all, especially after what happened with Tesla on a previous episode," he wrote.

"Well, dealing with Top Gear can be a bit of a double-edged sword. If you lend the show a car you're at the mercy of the script writers and the presenters as to how it will be represented
"

They explained it well JRP, it's their rationale which I find spineless...

If all luxury & performance automakers withheld all of their vehicles from TG, it would undermine TG's credibility...the entire auto industry could respond (to the effect) that "TG is neither a fair nor credible source of automotive information which is why will will not supply them with our vehicles for their "reviews" "...other credible automotive reviewing shows would prosper (as the demand for consumer automotive data is high)...TG would eventually whither & die...

I think Nissan explained quite well why they did lend the vehicle.

Interesting then V...however, if this was the case, Nissan could have countered the bad "review" by stating why they refused to give TG a test vehicle...again, Nissan & the other automakers need to stop being bullied by TG, grow a pair and set a united front up against TG...it would not be hard to do & would take relatively few resources to accomplish...

I have it on good authority the Nissan did not supply the car to TG.

They explained it well JRP, it's their rationale which I find spineless...

If all luxury & performance automakers withheld all of their vehicles from TG, it would undermine TG's credibility...the entire auto industry could respond (to the effect) that "TG is neither a fair nor credible source of automotive information which is why will will not supply them with our vehicles for their "reviews" "...other credible automotive reviewing shows would prosper (as the demand for consumer automotive data is high)...TG would eventually whither & die...

I'm pretty sure TG can get their hands on a vehicle for testing if they really want it, even if the manufacturers don't provide it. They can either buy one or rent one from a private individual.

I agree JRP, they could easily obtain a vehicle to test as you say...however, that is not my point...my point is, by refusing to supply vehicles to TG, manufacturers can build this fact into their explanation of why they won't supply TG with any vehicles...due to their scripted, bogus reviews that many viewers may take as face value for honest, factual reviews.

If a manufacturer refused to supply an honest, credible reviewer a vehicle, you'd want to know why, wouldn't you?

The blanket refusal offers automobile manufacturers an opportunity to continuously expose TG to ridicule by restating TG's fleeting acquaintance with the truth in their reviews...it would take time, but eventually the viewing public would hear the message often enough to dismiss TG's opinion about any automotive subject.

I'm pretty sure TG can get their hands on a vehicle for testing if they really want it, even if the manufacturers don't provide it. They can either buy one or rent one from a private individual.

Last edited:
While I agree with you J, I'm guessing auto makers roll the dice and hope that the Axiom "Any publicity is good publicity" works.

Siry has basically said this is what Tesla did. His comments are probably way back in this thread.

EV makers should know they have the worst odds possible going in.

On Transport Evolved the point was made that by finding a place to plug in they showed the ubiquity of places to plug in.

I say someone there should take it a step further. Before the show airs, plot out on a map the last mile or so of Clarkson's trip. Highlight the moment they began the Leaf push through the university area. Then physically walk along that route and plot out every possible place to charge that they passed by. Photograph every plug and put those images on the map with a description.

You could rate the plug by convenience.
1. just plug in (20 of them)
2. through a window (44)
3. need 20 foot extension cord (125)
4 would have to pay (0)

Or something like that.

Write it as an article that gets out there to show how they purposefully made it difficult to plug in when there were many opportunities along the way.

Road trip down memory lane for Niki?

Two things:

I'm not sure what VFX heard, but Nissan in the UK said they did supply it and the car in question is a known press fleet car (from the plate).

Top Gear really did their homework. Lincolnshire pretty much is the only county with no charging - not even private individuals on ev-network.org.uk. Great that they have highlighted it because we can do something about it, but as of now it is a desert. However, they absolutely guaranteed maximum coverage on social networks (the home of pro-EV views in general) by taking it to a university. Select the age group with the most positive views on EVs and put the boot in there.