Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster PEM failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the different PEMs have different part numbers and are all Reman PEMs universal?
Universal PEM: TPN 0600276899 rev AC; SAP 6008983 (PEM - 2.01 Remanufactured)
Standard PEM: TPN 0600276800 rev AC; SAP 6005203 (PEM)
Sport PEM: TPN 0600221601 rev AC; SAP 6004128 (PEM - US, SPORT )

I don't know for sure if all Remanufactured PEMs are universal, but it would be a smart move on Tesla's part to do that. I also don't know if the Firmware installed determines whether you have the Sport performance, or if there is a software switch to enable it. Most Roadsters already have the sport motor installed. I just pulled a sport motor a couple of weeks ago from a non-sport model.

I have now disconnected the PEM again to have it looked at. Hopefully it will be easy to find the troublemaker. I also got the log file out for the first time. Is the only way to get the error messages out in text to run DOS commands? Or is there an easier way to getting it all out.

I have now disconnected the PEM again to have it looked at. Hopefully it will be easy to find the troublemaker. I also got the log file out for the first time. Is the only way to get the error messages out in text to run DOS commands? Or is there an easier way to getting it all out.
DOS is your best route right now. I use Scott's log parser which I find to be the easiest to use (drag and drop files into the command window and then tell it to output to a CVS file). I'm personally working on one to use the best features of both Tesla GLOP by Doug and log_parse by Scott, but it's not done yet.

Thanks, Peter! brilliant write up!

Back to the PEM. It's out again and all 8 fuses have been found and checked, and they are whole... ?

Thanks to your idiot proof recipe for getting the logs out, here are my last error codes:

DMC HW: PhaseC Low Side Desat Fault
DMC FW: Poll Power
DMC FW: PhaseA OverCurrent warning
DMC FW: PhaseB OverCurrent warning
DMC FW: PhaseC OverCurrent warning

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark77a
Back to the PEM. It's out again and all 8 fuses have been found and checked, and they are whole... ?
Check the continuity to ensure the fuse is still whole inside where you can't visibly inspect. Most modern multimeters have a continuity check function that beeps when a short occurs. The other thing you can try is measuring the resistance, which should be an Ohm or less.

Reactions: hallvardr
Victory!!:) PEM repair and upgrade is finally completed successfully! Just in time for a roof off weekend drive ;) thanks so much for all the tips and help. It has been much appreciated!! Looks like the problem was 6 blown resistors. All IGBTs changed on one boards and ceramic strips installed. Done a couple of rides now, and things are looking good. I pulled the service plug on the battery and it has barely lost any juice in the 3 months it took to fix the PEM.

Attachments

• DSC_5280.JPG
    DSC_5280.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 90
Awesome @hallvardr! Congrats and good job. Can you provide more details and pictures? Which resistors? Oh and what ceramic strips did you go with? Please share as much as you can, as it appears now that TMC is now our database for current and future owners to resolve these issues.

Now seeing threads indicating Tesla isn’t supporting customers (other than wholesale replacements with extreme lead times) with battery and PEM issues means we will have to take matters into our own hands and repair this incredible vehicle ourselves.

Hey Mate good job...curious about the resistors as well...did you use 1mm ceramic or did you find something a little thicker?

BTW Tesla want me to sign a waiver before they will touch my car - because I fixed my PEM...just wanted the latest software...must admit I find this pretty strange when they are not able to offer a viable solution (10K€ to fix a power inverter is not in my book viable)...If anybody is interested I will post the waiver...get the impression we are a little like the poor relation...feeling a bad taste in the mouth...guess we have to learn to do it without them...but they need to give us the drawings and manuals...

A little more info: The material I used is 1mm which has been used with success by Gruber Europe. The strengt on the material Grubes has uses is 300, the one I used is 450. I was also in direct contact with the company producing the material explaining the use (which they found very interesting) and they recommended the one I got. So I feel very confident that it should be a very suitable material.

Tesla did not update my software on my last service so I am supposed to come in and get that done sometime. So it will be interesting to see if they will do work on mine, or if I have to sign something too.

If anyone have more questions, I will answer as good as I can.

• Informative
Reactions: Rotarypower
A little more info: The material I used is 1mm which has been used with success by Gruber Europe. The strengt on the material Grubes has uses is 300, the one I used is 450. I was also in direct contact with the company producing the material explaining the use (which they found very interesting) and they recommended the one I got. So I feel very confident that it should be a very suitable material.

If anyone have more questions, I will answer as good as I can.

Hello Hallvardr.

Thanks for all the info. I opened the pdf document you attached that describes the Rubalit and Alunit, but I wonder what did you exactly order, there are several products in the flyer. Did the german company cut the strips at the exact dimensions or did you cut that yourself? Last question (if you don't mind answering this one) what was the price for all the strips ?

Thanks a lot !

Best regards :)

Reactions: Mark77a