Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Sales Slowing down???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching the Tesla Roadster market for a couple of months now. It does seem like the sales rate has gone down. Even on the pre-owned site, it seems like they aren't selling as fast. They put up 6 new Roadsters on the pre-owned site about 10 days ago and 5 of them still remain. Of course, I have no idea how many Roadsters are being sold without showing up no the pre-owned site.

I've been watching the Tesla Roadster market for a couple of months now. It does seem like the sales rate has gone down. Even on the pre-owned site, it seems like they aren't selling as fast. They put up 6 new Roadsters on the pre-owned site about 10 days ago and 5 of them still remain. Of course, I have no idea how many Roadsters are being sold without showing up no the pre-owned site.

Honestly, I was always surprised at how fast the Roadsters *were* selling. The market for a 2-seat convertible with a tiny trunk is not a large one.

There are roughly 23 models of new convertibles for sale in the US, total.
U.S. Convertible Sales Continue to Drop - The Hog Ring | Auto Upholstery Community

The best selling US convertible is selling at an annualized rate of 15,600 per year.
And the best-selling convertible heading into summer is... - Autoblog

In short, demand for convertibles is miniscule and shrinking.

I suspect that a fair number of the people who bought Roadsters before the Model S was released did so because they really wanted an electric car, not because they wanted a convertible. I would not be surprised if the used Roadster market is shrinking, with people who might have considered a Roadster simply buying a model S instead. (Although a used Roaster is cheaper than a new Model S now.)

I think that many people (like myself) were attracted to the Roadster when Tesla dropped their prices on the CPO program. Because they have sold a ton of these in the last couple months, it has taken a significant (and ready to purchase) potential customer base out of the market. In addition, I have been actively hunting for the right Roadster at the right price for a couple months now. I can tell you that many of the CPOs that I discussed with Tesla never showed up on their website (or Ebay).

It appears to me that their prices are sneaking back up a little (also factoring in that they aren't including UMCs anymore), at least on the lower end models.

Luckily, I have come to a purchase agreement on a 2nd Roadster (you may recall I had an agreement to purchase one a little while ago and the seller sold it from under me while I was finalizing escrow and shipping arrangements :mad:).

I am scheduled to pick up the new one Saturday :biggrin: and, while it is more than I had planned on paying for a Roadster, it is a fair price for a 2.5 instead of the 1.5 I was originally planning to purchase.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Last edited:
Fascinating and helpful feedback. I don't think that neroden has either driven the Roadster but it is the most amazing drive I've ever had. While my key module was being replaced at the service center I was fortunate enough to get a MS 85 loaner. As beautiful and comfortable as the MS is, I was happy to get my little speedster back!

Congrats

I think that many people (like myself) were attracted to the Roadster when Tesla dropped their prices on the CPO program. Because they have sold a ton of these in the last couple months, it has taken a significant (and ready to purchase) potential customer base out of the market. In addition, I have been actively hunting for the right Roadster at the right price for a couple months now. I can tell you that many of the CPOs that I discussed with Tesla never showed up on their website (or Ebay).

It appears to me that their prices are sneaking back up a little (also factoring in that they aren't including UMCs anymore), at least on the lower end models.

Luckily, I have come to a purchase agreement on a 2nd Roadster (you may recall I had an agreement to purchase one a little while ago and the seller sold it from under me while I was finalizing escrow and shipping arrangements :mad:).

I am scheduled to pick up the new one Saturday :biggrin: and, while it is more than I had planned on paying for a Roadster, it is a fair price for a 2.5 instead of the 1.5 I was originally planning to purchase.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Congratulations. You will love the 2.5! Might as well have the newest version, especially since there aren't new ones rolling out.

DJ

Fascinating and helpful feedback. I don't think that neroden has either driven the Roadster but it is the most amazing drive I've ever had. While my key module was being replaced at the service center I was fortunate enough to get a MS 85 loaner. As beautiful and comfortable as the MS is, I was happy to get my little speedster back!

Indeed, my wife and I drive Roadsters not because we haven't been able to test the Model S, but because we have driven it and that car just doesn't meet our needs - mostly due to its enormity. In addition, while the Roadster is the kind of car I grew up dreaming about, the S kind of puts me to sleep. We each prefer a sporty and more nimble car, and IMO there is no car of that variety that can beat the Roadster.

But diff'rent strokes...

Of course, I'm glad that Tesla has brought to market both an exquisite small/sporty car for people who like the wind in their hair, as well as a rocket-accelerating ginormo-car that is great for the next time you need to take your family of seven out on the town. When they introduce the Gen 3, which will presumably be narrow enough to fit into most parking spaces, with storage space and good range, at a decent price, then look out for the world will buy that car like hotcakes. It still won't be the car I grew up dreaming about, but it will be what the mass market will buy. For a car that is drool-worthy, I look forward to the Roadster 3.0.

Let me fix that for you...

I think all of the Tesla offerings so far are drool-worthy. Heck, even the 40 would have been. The 40[SUB]60[/SUB] folks got a heck of a value.

My point was that what makes neroden, or you, drool doesn't really do it for me. I think the Model S is a wonderful technological feat. It is a fantastic accomplishment. It also gets my pulse up to the low 40s. It is a great car if you need a huge sedan that accelerates and is green. But to get my heart racing the Model S just doesn't do it. Practical, sure. A 40 or 60, even a better cost-benefit ratio. But when you look at which Tesla owners feel the most passion about their cars, it is Roadster owners.

How many people grew up fantasizing about the day they could eventually own a huge sedan, the widest car on the road? A huge touchscreen... Nice roomy seats... Plenty of storage space... And room for your extended family to all go to Chili's in one car... And to do all of that in a car that gets you a tax credit and HOV lane access!

Now how many dream of a 2-seat convertible, low to the ground, faster than a Ferrari, and looks the part? Oh, and it is also not an ICE.

Horses for courses.

Last edited:
But when look at which Tesla owners feel the most passion about their cars, it is Roadster owners.
I think it's way to early to make this determination.

Also, with the Roadster there's more than just the car contributing to the emotional attachment. I see some similar feelings (for some) in the Signature offering. Especially when you "test" them to see what it would take to make a trade-in offer appealing.

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the title...

Roadster sales are just in "regen" mode. :)

My point was that what makes neroden, or you, drool doesn't really do it for me. I think the Model S is a wonderful technological feat. It is a fantastic accomplishment. It also gets my pulse up to the low 40s. It is a great car if you need a huge sedan that accelerates and is green. But to get my heart racing the Model S just doesn't do it. Practical, sure. A 40 or 60, even a better cost-benefit ratio. But when you look at which Tesla owners feel the most passion about their cars, it is Roadster owners.

How many people grew up fantasizing about the day they could eventually own a huge sedan, the widest car on the road? A huge touchscreen... Nice roomy seats... Plenty of storage space... And room for your extended family to all go to Chili's in one car... And to do all of that in a car that gets you a tax credit and HOV lane access!

Now how many dream of a 2-seat convertible, low to the ground, faster than a Ferrari, and looks the part? Oh, and it is also not an ICE.

Horses for courses.

Mostly, I agree. But not about the HOV lane. I spent many of my early driving years sitting in traffic dreaming that I could just have a lane to myself while everyone else sat there in line :smile: Some of those in a 2-seat convertible, low to the ground (but in those days, slow as a pup).

I don't find the Model S nearly as fulfilling or as exciting as the roadster (even though I think my Model S P85 is probably faster than my Roadster 1.5) - but, it's still the car I get into most mornings to go to work.

The one thing I notice is that people keep determining the Tesla Roadster CPO inventory by what they see on eBay or on the Tesla site. Trust me, this is not a true determination. When I went to Tesla in June looking for a Roadster, they had over 50 listed and available vs the 8 that they had on their website. For those that are really interested, contact Tesla and get the real list. There are still some that I see at the Fremont service center.

I suspect there are very few cars that will take a Roadster in the 1/8th mile, P85 included. However my P85 does a little better than my (non-sport) Roadster in the 1/4 mile, and blows it away at the 1/2 mile.
Yep, off the line, Roadster all the way. But if you punch them both at say, 40mph or higher, a P85 MS will walk away from a Roadster. I can feel the difference merging onto freeways.

But to stay on topic, lots of people bought Roadsters when they really wanted a Model S. When MS came out they sold or traded in their Roadsters so there was a glut for awhile. I think that rush of everyone swapping cars is simply slowing down. Not sure what the ultimate direction of Roadster values will be. For me I will always want more performance. If they offer an AWD performance version of Gen3 that is faster than the Roadster I'll probably jump. I do like the creature comforts in MS - traffic maps, hands free phone that works, etc. Else if they ever actually offer those "sub 3-second" Roadster upgrades I could be tempted that way too. For now I'll keep commuting in my Roadster and wait to see what happens.

Last edited: