Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster walk-throughs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are "actually" comments on the videos.

Disappointed at the idea of 2 or 4 handprints on the car to close the trunk and hood.

It takes 2 guys 40 seconds to put on the roof. How many for 1 guy? The leaning-in body english to remove the top seems ill suited to light people.

Hate the safety / security / prank aspect of the the charge bay door being able to disable the entire car. Thieves quickly disseminate information how to jack cars, break steering wheel locks and steal airbags. It's scary to think about how anyone can walk up to the driver and casually reach over to open the charge door disabling the only defense tactic (or weapon) the driver may have available.

The HVAC seems like something form the 60's or the Soviets but with LEDs.

The vestigial "shifting" stick is lame as the vestigial tach.

Internal GPS for remembering charge Amp setting at a location. Really? What else is that GPS doing in the car?

Looks like there is screen burn on the VPS. Maybe it's an artifact of the shooting camera because the car is new.

The car measures G forces? That's cool. Another useful item that can be tapped into.

In valet mode I like the Big-Brother readout for the valet driver to see miles traveled and speed but can you set the limits lower or as he said, is it set at than 60mph and 30 mile drive? For restaurants I'd set it at 25 mph and 2 miles. And it's acceleration that I would want to limit most. Something like "Reduce Acceleration by XX percent"

Hrmmm... many of these bring up good points, surprisingly.

It is surprising how many of the negatives are merely leftovers from Lotus.

It takes 2 guys 40 seconds to put on the roof. How many for 1 guy? The leaning-in body english to remove the top seems ill suited to light people.

Yes, the soft top is dumb. The hard top is worse.

Hate the safety / security / prank aspect of the the charge bay door being able to disable the entire car.

This is an interesting comment that I hadn't thought about before. I wonder if the door should be a release from an interior lever like in many cars?

Or the British... Luckily much of this is being addressed in the future.

In valet mode I like the Big-Brother readout for the valet driver to see miles traveled and speed but can you set the limits lower or as he said, is it set at than 60mph and 30 mile drive? For restaurants I'd set it at 25 mph and 2 miles. And it's acceleration that I would want to limit most. Something like "Reduce Acceleration by XX percent"

Yes, it would be nice to have this setable by the driver. I thought Valet mode already reduced the amount of available torque. It would be great to have that changeable as well.

Hate the safety / security / prank aspect of the the charge bay door being able to disable the entire car. Thieves quickly disseminate information how to jack cars, break steering wheel locks and steal airbags. It's scary to think about how anyone can walk up to the driver and casually reach over to open the charge door disabling the only defense tactic (or weapon) the driver may have available.

Agreed - shutting down the car if the charge door is opened would be bad. At a minimum the car should stay on if it's already on. It would be even better if it locked shut while the car is on; I don't think there's much demand/need for "aerial refueling", that is, recharging while the Roadster is in motion.

The vestigial "shifting" stick is lame as is the vestigial tach.

I think Tesla agrees on the shifter; it's gone from both the Sport and Model S prototypes. A Tesla employee also mentioned during the Model S showing in Menlo Park that the Roadster was getting an updated center console that sounded like the one shown in the Sport renderings - VDS in the middle, env't controls on the dash, as well as an updated touchscreen nav/head unit.

Really? First I've heard this. Do you have more info?

It has not been reported widely - I think because they are still trying to figure out what they plan to do.

The short version is the computer rendered pictures they released a few months ago of the Sport with the "Carbon Fiber interior" option show a center VDS, no stick shift, the RPM dial replaced with power usage and a glove box.

Tesla have said to many people they plan to make most or all of these changes available standard in the next model year.

However, I don't think they have officially announced this intention in print yet so perhaps those plans are not concrete yet.

Rereading my last post, I should clarify:

The Carbon Fibre accents shown in the Sport interior picture were always planned as a paid upgrade - but the other changes I listed they hoped to make standard. When the picture first came out and I inquired about it, they were quick to point out at the time that it was only a computer rendering and the final version may have changes.

I talked to some employees specifically about the new interior during the Model S release party. They have no plans to allow 2008MY Roadsters to upgrade to any parts of the new interior. :frown: I hope they change their mind on this.

I have seen a Roadster where they have moved the VDS to the center, but I haven't seen any of the other changes in person, yet.

No, I know there's a new interior layout with the VDS in the center, no stick, etc. It was the new touchscreen nav/head unit I had quoted. It's THAT which I hadn't heard yet.

What manufacturer and model head unit are they switching to?

Oh sorry, I misread your question.

I think at the Town Hall meeting a few months ago they mentioned that they plan to change to a new nav unit as soon as they run out of the parts they have already bought, but they did not mention what they planned to replace it with.

Rereading my last post, I should clarify:

The Carbon Fibre accents shown in the Sport interior picture were always planned as a paid upgrade - but the other changes I listed they hoped to make standard. When the picture first came out and I inquired about it, they were quick to point out at the time that it was only a computer rendering and the final version may have changes.

I talked to some employees specifically about the new interior during the Model S release party. They have no plans to allow 2008MY Roadsters to upgrade to any parts of the new interior. :frown: I hope they change their mind on this.

I have seen a Roadster where they have moved the VDS to the center, but I haven't seen any of the other changes in person, yet.

I have asked these exact same questions to several Tesla employees because of my Roadster being early in the new model year. I was really wondering exactly what I am getting.

I was told that the rendering is accurate for the new model year except for the exterior color. That new shade of Red for the Roadster Sport does not exist as an option. Also, those specific seats in the rendering don't exist.

All of the other changes are for real with the VDS in the center, push button shifting, and the new tach design. Those are all standard starting in late June.

I know nothing about a new replacement for the navigation/radio unit.

I'd be concerned about two scenarios:

1) I get in my car and lock the door, but before I can start it someone opens the charge door. Now I'm a sitting duck to their threats or demands.

2) While parked, someone sabotages the door latch or switch that registers whether the charge door is closed, rendering my car disabled. I haven't inspected the door and latch mechanism so I don't know how hard or easy this would be. But it seems like an easily accessible part to tamper with, with disabling results.

Last edited:
On the subject of the roof, a friend just bought a VX220 and after 4 days demonstrated fitting the roof single handedly in under 20 seconds. That included walking around the car to clamp down the other side. He's not all that tall either.

Not sure if the Tesla roof is the same, but if so then people are making a big deal out of it, it seems to me.

Disappointed at the idea of 2 or 4 handprints on the car to close the trunk and hood.

Better than the hand print I end up with next to the badge on the hood of my 911. :wink:

Oh, it looks like a dream compared to the 911's UI nightmare. Yeah, the knobs have to be replaced (one of the other owners has already done so - Mouser has a nice selection).

Yup, ripe for some for of aftermarket hack. Maybe just cutting it down and re-threading it into something stubby?

Looks like there is screen burn on the VPS. Maybe it's an artifact of the shooting camera because the car is new.

I think they have the contrast on the videos wrong, and what you are seeing are the unselected "other options" on some of the screens. LCDs don't burn in. They can occasionally suffer from "persistence", but that's quite easily corrected (though I don't think the Roadster VDS has a persistence correction mode).

I'm just happy they fixed the horn - it sounds so much better in the video than the wimpy thing that was in some of the earlier VPs.

LCDs don't burn in. They can occasionally suffer from "persistence", but that's quite easily corrected...

Can you explain further? I used to think LCDs could never burn in either, but some of the LCDs I have now show a faint outline of the windows login box after I have logged in.

I don't see any kind of "persistence correction" settings in any of the menus.