Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster's Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I can see just the opposite is happening. I know several Roadster owners who bought their cars with full intention to sell or trade it when the MS was available who have since changed their minds. Some of us simply fell in love with the Roadster and can't imagine selling it even though it was originally purchased to bridge the gap to a different EV.

I am in this same boat, I do not think I will ever part ways with my Roadster. The sad reality is that many people probably kept their Roadster because they got low balled by Tesla when they went to trade it in or due to poor private party resale value. For those of us who bought new- I am not sure if it makes sense to take a 60k+ loss after two years. I prefer the Roadster for daily driving as it has just enough space for my daily needs. The Model S usually sits in my garage as it feels far too big for daily use. Hopefully Tesla makes good on the rumors and we start to see some essential warranty and maintenance packages available. Liquid cooling, nitrogen cooling, CF body panels, BBK will be good surprises but I cannot see many people updating the old roadster- when the new one is only a few years away.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with you ...I can see many owners upgrading, especially with performance oriented features... whether from TMC directly, or some TMC authorized shop...

I am in this same boat, I do not think I will ever part ways with my Roadster. The sad reality is that many people probably kept their Roadster because they got low balled by Tesla when they went to trade it in or due to poor private party resale value. For those of us who bought new- I am not sure if it makes sense to take a 60k+ loss after two years. I prefer the Roadster for daily driving as it has just enough space for my daily needs. The Model S usually sits in my garage as it feels far too big for daily use. Hopefully Tesla makes good on the rumors and we start to see some essential warranty and maintenance packages available. Liquid cooling, nitrogen cooling, CF body panels, BBK will be good surprises but I cannot see many people updating the old roadster- when the new one is only a few years away.

I bought Roadster to have some fun while waiting for Model S - and to jump the Model S line without going Sig. We thought there might be a chance we'd end up being an all-Tesla family.

We ended up canceling the Model S order and now plan to keep Roadster until I'm too old to get in and out of it by myself. I'm looking forward to performance upgrades.

I too am cancelling my Model S. Its just too expensive of a car once you add in all the features that you really want. That and I'm having too much fun with the Roadster.

However, my next car will undoubtedly be an electric as well. Whether its an used Model S or Gen III or one from another company. So in a sense, Elon has done his job in my mind. He got me convinced electric car would work.

I hope not. Tesla should wait for the Gen-III iteration of batteries before offering an improved Roadster pack.

I heard that they were going to offer a reduced capacity pack.

- - - Updated - - -

I inquired about the Roadster extended warranty for existing owners & just received permission to share:

• NY, FL & WA: Info to come in a month or so
  • NM & CT: Before year end when when service centers are opened in these states
  • OK: Not for the foreseeable future
  • All other states not listed above: The extended warranty program should be posted on Tesla Motor's website by the end of next week.

I just noticed Tesla deleted the drop down Roadster selection on their homepage. Where should we be looking for announcements on the new warranty? Gracias

Roadster is the original "halo" car for Tesla, and I certainly hope they take advantage of keeping it as a halo through the support and upgrade route. Roadster was the car that got me hooked from the start, long before I could afford it, and I bought it for keeps.

When ten years go by and we've got Tesla Gen III as prevalent as the Prius today, I want to drive the Roadster and have people say, 'Whoa, is that a Tesla? That's where it all started?".

People are used to rapid obsolesence in consumer electronics:cursing:, but these are cars and historic ones at that! Prove to your customers that they don't get left behind with 'the next big thing' by showing how your first big thing can continue to jump forward.:biggrin:

Looking at the potential role of supercharging in shaping the Tesla brand and vision from Model S forward, I feel like this is a big design feature to consider in an upgraded Roadster ESS/PEM/Tesla 2.0 socket/whatever-else-needed to bring the Roadster forward with the company functionally and symbolically. If that means better cooling needed, ok. If that means new cells and can still be done with more range, perfect.

It's not because I make a lot of long trips - I really don't. But somewhere in the future I'd like to take one using the newest tech, driving the original halo on free sunshine.:cool:

It doesn't have as much to do with Roadster upgrades as it does with Tesla redefining what it is to be a car company. Cars do not have to be obsolete after a few years, if the manufactures support the cars they can have a significantly longer lifetime value and that will make the cars devalue less and thus be more desirable when new.

It doesn't have as much to do with Roadster upgrades as it does with Tesla redefining what it is to be a car company. Cars do not have to be obsolete after a few years, if the manufactures support the cars they can have a significantly longer lifetime value and that will make the cars devalue less and thus be more desirable when new.

If/When Tesla releases a longer range battery for the Roadster it will send a message that will be heard around the world. Elon does these kind of "shatter the electric ceiling" moves all the time.

One of the last nails for the ICE coffin.

I inquired about the Roadster extended warranty for existing owners & just received permission to share:

• NY, FL & WA: Info to come in a month or so
  • NM & CT: Before year end when when service centers are opened in these states
  • OK: Not for the foreseeable future
  • All other states not listed above: The extended warranty program should be posted on Tesla Motor's website by the end of next week.

Hi Bonnie -

Just wondering if you had heard anything new from Tesla. Just had my annual service and all is well, but it would be great to see what Tesla offers in this extended warranty.

Hi Bonnie -

Just wondering if you had heard anything new from Tesla. Just had my annual service and all is well, but it would be great to see what Tesla offers in this extended warranty.

Were extended warranties not available back when Roadsters prior to 2.5 were new? When I purchased mine in summer 2011, I was given the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty (3 more years added to the initial 3 yr warranty) and also the option to pre-buy the first replacement battery. Was the extended warranty I was offered not always available?

Thanks!

They offered me an extended warranty back in Oct 2009 as well; but the offer was only good for one month. Tesla has said they will offer a more typical extended warranty that can be bought any time up until your original warranty expires. It's already expired for a lot of us; so now they say we'll get 30 days after they offer it.

As for when they'll offer it, well, a number of suggested dates have come and gone, so I guess we just wait and see when it happens.

I agree with you. I think that one of the main features of electric cars should be their longer life time with respect to ICE cars. I saw a Roadster that accomplished 100.000 km and it looked NEW.
I mean that with electric cars the standard parameters of life time, maintenance costs, reliability and so on should change completely with repect to conventional ICE cars that we are used to. Also with a bigger convenience for us not only in terms of costs but also of pleasure of driving and safety.

Prove to your customers that they don't get left behind with 'the next big thing' by showing how your first big thing can continue to jump forward.:biggrin:

With TESLIVE about a month away, it seemed like a good time to revive this thread and refocus the discussion.

What do you think is the future of the Tesla Roadster?

I think everyone would agree the company has shifted nearly all attention to the Model S, supercharging network, service experience, etc., to show the business is scalable, sustainable, and profitable (all critical items). But some of the changes in terms of CPO program, upgrades, and parts availability have some Roadster owners feeling a little abandoned, maybe since the rumor mill had sounded sooooo good. Is this just a speedbump for 2013? Or is 'support anxiety' the new 'range anxiety'?

On the plus side there is an Elon tweet promising to circle back and do something nice for Roadster owners in 2014. On a good day, the sky is the limit speculating on that tweet - ESS upgrade with newer cells, >300 miles range, supercharging, new socket, liquid-cooled PEM, you-name-it! :rolleyes: On a bad day, the tweet feels like it could just be a really good deal on a Model S swap.:frown:

I don't have a crystal ball, but definitely want to see TSLA continue to embrace the Roadster as part of the family, supporting it and carrying it forward on major items maybe every 5-7 years, if only for the PR value.

What do you think the future holds?