Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip in windshield after 4th day of ownership! Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S M.D.

Ludicrous Radiologist
Oct 31, 2015
TX
I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting in the way of a tiny rock which chipped my front windshield on the passenger side. Its a couple of adjacent "star shaped" chips about 1 cm total in size.

Should I contact Tesla for a "preferred" windshield repair company or call my auto insurance (which I hear will pay to fix these with epoxy/filler since it would be cheaper than replacing the entire windshield).

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance! I still have a semi-Tesla grin even with the rock chip! :wink:

Congrats on your new MS. Sorry to hear about your first rock chip.

My suggestion is, if the chip is in an area that bugs you, or if it is beginning to turn into a crack, you may want to check into having it filled depending if that is an option... Otherwise, you'll find at least one other active thread here on TMC suggesting the price to replace the windshield is over $1K (search for that thread)... Price for the windshield itself and to have it installed and then camera aligned by a SC varies based on if you have the cold weather pkg and/or autopilot. You'll also have to consider what sort of insurance you have, and possible impact to your policy and future rates if you make a claim. Since I have autopilot, if I were in your position, I'd first call my DV a to get a quote and determine how I wanted to proceed -- paying it myself or going through insurance. Good luck.

I had the same thing within a month. First time ever...figures... Fortunately, it was behind the mirror from my angle, so I can't see it. I went to a local guy for an epoxy fix. Cost only $50 and is now just a tiny dot that only I notice. Looks perfect after a year or so. It's actually a very quick and easy fix. Maybe 10 minutes.

And THEN, a week later I got one on my other car. WTF!? But that one was too big to be epoxyed. I ended up selling the car anyway. So in the end I didn't care. So check to see if they can fix it. If not, then call insurance. I would insist on Tesla replacing it. It's a huge screen and has all the AP cameras adhered to it. I wouldn't want anybody else doing it. I got that on my policy. I had a vandalized windscreen on an Acura replaced by, I think, Safelight (they are the big name?) and I was not impressed with the job.

I had a rock chip in year 2 of ownership. The service center recommended a professional service to repair. He did a file and polish which made the chip almost invisible and stopped it from growing. However, whatever coating was on the windshield was removed in the process, for about a 3 inch diameter around the chip location as the repair was smoothed over that area. I see it when the rain beads up on the windshield, it does so in a different pattern in that 3" circle. First-world problem, yep. I get it. I chose to live with it, instead of paying the high deductible. The repair was very reasonable in price, and worked. I just get a reminder of it in the rain.

Thanks everyone. I will be heading to the service center tomorrow anyway to get a couple scratches buffed out. I'll see if they can recommend a professional service to hopefully repair it before I go see the local guy. At least I didn't get it tinted and coated yet!

I had a chip on my previous MS. I didn't bother with a recommendation from the SC. I just checked Angie's List and picked a highly rated person from there. He came to my house and made the chip nearly invisible for $60 or so. No change to the windshield coating that we could detect.

After you decide on how to handle your repair / replacement you might want to consider windshield protection as well. I drove ~100 expressway miles a day and always have rock chips in my windshield. When I picked up my 85D in June I had SunTek film / opti-coat AND clearplex windshield film applied. It has been an absolute lifesaver for rock chips. Best $250-$300 you'll spend on protecting your windshield. Best of all it can be replaced from time to time and will be new again without the pain of a new windshield and dealing with your insurance if they balk. Found an installer in my area at clearplex.com

After you decide on how to handle your repair / replacement you might want to consider windshield protection as well. I drove ~100 expressway miles a day and always have rock chips in my windshield. When I picked up my 85D in June I had SunTek film / opti-coat AND clearplex windshield film applied. It has been an absolute lifesaver for rock chips. Best $250-$300 you'll spend on protecting your windshield. Best of all it can be replaced from time to time and will be new again without the pain of a new windshield and dealing with your insurance if they balk. Found an installer in my area at clearplex.com

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into clearpex. Is this typically applied after (on top of) tint and opticoat?

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into clearpex. Is this typically applied after (on top of) tint and opticoat?

I had it installed before the opticoat so that the repellent nature of the opticoat would work best. I have had several rocks hit that have marked up the clearplex that would have certainly cracked and required a new windshield. I was skeptical at first but am a firm believer now. Very worthwhile investment.

I had no idea this was a thing, although I've been using Zagg style protective films on my mobile devices for years. Makes sense. Anyone know the legality of this stuff? My state... "frowns" upon films being applied on the front 2 side windows let alone the windshield proper.

I had no idea this was a thing, although I've been using Zagg style protective films on my mobile devices for years. Makes sense. Anyone know the legality of this stuff? My state... "frowns" upon films being applied on the front 2 side windows let alone the windshield proper.

@Califula the clearplex film is completely clear optically as well as colorless. It does however have a UV blocking factor but I don't recall how much. No one but you will know it's on your windshield even under close inspection. Don't think it would be too beneficial on your side windows tho.

I had a bubble on my windshield at delivery and Tesla replaced it using a local glass shop. The only downside was some dirty fingerprints on the A pillar. Then last winter I got a rock chip while driving on the highway. I went the epoxy route but the dime size ding was still visible. I was able to pass inspection since it was above the driver's line of sight.

But since I have comprehensive insurance, I got the glass replaced a few weeks ago with the new Tesla glass subcontractor (JN autoglass in New England) and it just cost me the $100 glass deductible. Still wound up with dirty hand prints, but they come off after a while. ;)

Since your in Houston, I've used this guy a few times (Houston Windshield Repair & Auto Glass Repair in Houston, TX - Auto Glass Repair - Windshield Repair (Houston)). It's $20 a repair. Fast and clean. He's made both repairs practically disappear (one was a star, one was a impact bubble). All that was left was a dot that looked like a dirt spot. You can use insurance for other places like Mr Carwash that will end up charging your insurance from 100 to 150 or pay out of pocket $40. I highly recommend this guy.

Last edited:
Since your in Houston, I've used this guy a few times (Houston Windshield Repair & Auto Glass Repair in Houston, TX - Auto Glass Repair - Windshield Repair (Houston)). It's $20 a repair. Fast and clean. He's made both repairs practically disappear (one was a star, one was a impact bubble). All that was left was a dot that looked like a dirt spot. You can use insurance for other places like Mr Carwash that will end up charging your insurance from 100 to 150 or pay out of pocket $40. I highly recommend this guy.

Thank you for the recommendation! I actually did use him and he magically made the chip look alot less conspicuous. Very quick (~10 minutes) and reasonable price too at $20. I highly recommend him as well.

I'm now looking into either clearplex or Bray industries windshield films/skins...

If you have glass coverage, your insurance company will recommend someone and also guarantee their work. With my insurance provider, I could use anyone I wanted but they limited the payment to $59. I went on Yelp and found the highest rated glass repair shop in the area, they submitted a claim, insurance paid it and all was well. The company I found on Yelp also happened to be the same one recommended by Tesla Service.

Thank you for the recommendation! I actually did use him and he magically made the chip look alot less conspicuous. Very quick (~10 minutes) and reasonable price too at $20. I highly recommend him as well.

I'm now looking into either clearplex or Bray industries windshield films/skins...

Let me know what you find. I'm interested to see how it would hold up. I asked the guy that did my clear bra and he said that the didnt know anything that could stand up to daily driving. He's been doing detailing and bra's for high end cars for 15 years. I was surprised that he didnt know or recommend anything/anyone.