Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rodent damage: my washer fluid reservoir was leaking. It was chewed through by something.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went into Tesla service today for alignment. Alignment has been off since I took delivery.

Received a text with update, during inspection they discovered my washer fluid reservoir was leaking. It was chewed through by something. Rodent damage is not cover under warranty obviously...

So ended up having to pay $221 for repair.

just wanted to ask if anyone else has rodent damage. Not sure how the mouse got into that area. At least it didn’t chew up any of the harnesses.

Vermints can get in anywhere.

My last car had an extremely tight engine compartment, and occasionally I find foreign objects and detritus (like a small plush toy) nestled in some corner of the compartment that I can barely stick my hand in.

And because I only open the hood like for 5 minutes twice a year, it mustve been dragged in by a vermint, because there's absolute no other plausibility for their placement.

In my previous car - Audi - I have had wires chewed and a few mice that made their way into awkward places. It seems to have accelerated since the car has been displaced in the garage by the Model 3. This time of year they are looking to come in from the woods around the house to find warm spots for the winter. never had one chew into anything like the washer fluid reservoir - could be something larger like a squirrel?

I've found it's almost impossible to prevent a rodent from getting into a vehicle, there are just way too many openings for them to squeeze through. One thing that works for me are adding dryer sheets into the engine compartment, cabin and trunk. Under the hood I zip tie them to any metal bracing as long as it doesn't get too hot to keep them from blowing around.
mice damage.jpg

I've found it's almost impossible to prevent a rodent from getting into a vehicle, there are just way too many openings for them to squeeze through. One thing that works for me are adding dryer sheets into the engine compartment, cabin and trunk. Under the hood I zip tie them to any metal bracing as long as it doesn't get too hot to keep them from blowing around.
View attachment 474085

I park my cars in my garage and my cats roam free there. I doubt I'll ever see a rodent in my cars. We don't even have crickets in the garage anymore since we got the kittens. :)

Yeah there's no real way to keep out rodents. Too many openings. Try to keep it in the garage and seal up the garage and place traps if needed. Check places like the trunk every so often. The frunk is pretty easy to remove to check under there. You just need a 10mm socket and to disconnect the release button wire. Rodents suck too because even if you keep your house free they can easily come over from the neighbors.

Went into Tesla service today for alignment. Alignment has been off since I took delivery.

Received a text with update, during inspection they discovered my washer fluid reservoir was leaking. It was chewed through by something. Rodent damage is not cover under warranty obviously...

So ended up having to pay $221 for repair.

just wanted to ask if anyone else has rodent damage. Not sure how the mouse got into that area. At least it didn’t chew up any of the harnesses.
Curious if your Model 3 is parked outside overnight?

My Model 3 has been varmint free so far (knock on wood), but I have had one end up in dying in the glove compartment of my old BMW 325 wagon. I didn't find it until I the smell made me start looking under seats and through the car. What I found was too gross to describe. My kid's Honda Fit windshield washer stopped working. I found that he had not replaced the cap on it, and when I went to replace the pump, which required dis-assembling the right front bumper, headlamp and fender liner, I found that not one, but two mice had fallen into the tank, drowned, and gotten jammed in the pump. Yeacch. Needless to say, I'm no fan of the mice. I use dryer sheets in the car and traps in the garage. Every fall and spring, we get a few. I think a hungry cat is the best defense, but my wife is allergic to them, so it won't work for us.

Reactions: Nocturnal
2004 Toyota Avalon parked outside always collected rodents living on top of the cabin air filter/recirc door. Finally found there was no screen over the outside air inlet at base of windshield despite there being a screw hole tab for one. Molded some gutter guard over it and no more problems.