Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec or PodPoint ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Rolec does look neater. Not sure why the Pod point tethered unit doesn’t have an option to dock into the wall charger unit like the Rolec. They seem to provide an additional mounting for docking the cable which make it look untidy.
I agree. PodPoint have the space on the front to do the same as Rolec.

Personally I think the Rolec looks great.

Reactions: R.A.G
IMG_20191114_150859.jpg
Mine has a 13A socket in the lower bit - came in very useful when I had to use the UMC for several weeks!

My only concern with Rolec is their track record for burning out the rather nasty, Chinese made, RCBOs they use. On another place I gathered a gallery of all the reported RCBO failures I found after a ten minute search of the forum:

upload_2019-11-14_17-6-35.jpeg

Rolec may have upped their game, and improved things, but I'm not a fan of what seems to be unbranded Chinesium components that have been screen printed with someone else's logo.

Reactions: ACarneiro
My only concern with Rolec is their track record for burning out the rather nasty, Chinese made, RCBOs they use. On another place I gathered a gallery of all the reported RCBO failures I found after a ten minute search of the forum:

View attachment 476858

Rolec may have upped their game, and improved things, but I'm not a fan of what seems to be unbranded Chinesium components that have been screen printed with someone else's logo.
I have the latest green switch version - by all accounts this is much more reliable. I did have a problem but it was the plug/cable, not the box or its innards.

Does it have a simple start and stop time for charging? Still useful despite the new car update.

It appears to have a 'stop' time, so the car will be ready by a certain time. And will warm the battery 1hr before you need it.

It'll let you choose your energy supplier/tariff so it knows what you're paying, and shows your £/kWh usage etc over the last 24hr/30days/12months.

Just had my PodPoint installed this morning. 3 weeks from paying to install (Hampshire). Fitter was good, happy with everything with the install but the only frustrating this is that I can't control the charging start and stop times from the unti or app. I was led to believe I could. I know I can schedule the start time on my M3 but not sure about the stop? I have Octopus Go so ideally want it charging 0030-0430...

Just had my PodPoint installed this morning. 3 weeks from paying to install (Hampshire). Fitter was good, happy with everything with the install but the only frustrating this is that I can't control the charging start and stop times from the unti or app. I was led to believe I could. I know I can schedule the start time on my M3 but not sure about the stop? I have Octopus Go so ideally want it charging 0030-0430...

This does seem a baffling omission (not just in the Podpoint). At the end of the day these "chargers" are just power outlets and we've had start/stop timers available for mains power outlets since Adam was a lad ....

I got a Rolec and have to say I was very impressed. Only got the definite say-so from Tesla on the Friday that my car was arriving on the Monday and the Rolec installed (McNally Electric) arranged to be at my house Monday afternoon. Showed me how to work the app (ev.energy) which seamlessly smart charges at the cheapest times of the day when you tell it your tariff and it can ensure the battery is warmed up for whatever time you want.

Really impressed - I paid £360 fitted.
How much did you get the charger for?