Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolling Resale Value Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The days of any EV selling on the spot are over. Used Tesla prices are declining as is the entire EV market.

Today I visited my VW dealer who had 12 unsold ID.4s at MSRP. Two are eligible for the tax credits and ten are not. I wanted to test drive the 2023 to see if I would I want one earlier without the 360 cam and (now delete) premium audio - nope.

Tesla is cranking out cars. Used prices are not going to rise.
I feel like people are a bit too accustomed to the early days as well when production numbers were much lower. The goal is to grow production at 50% annually long term and eventually arrive at 20,000,000 cars per year -- it'll likely be pretty difficult to retain used values when producing such high numbers and wanting to flood the world with Teslas. People frequently compare Tesla to high Euro brands like BMW and Mercedes because of current prices, but it's a totally opposite philosophy versus wanting a degree of exclusivity associated with your badge -- these companies would never want to produce 20million cars per year because it would erode what their badge represents.

Especially when you consider the amount of investments being made into EVs by all companies and the subsidies etc from governments that are likely overriding the free market balancing supply and demand, I think we could see real price declines in the near future especially if interest rates remain higher for longer leading to more subdued demand while all this new production comes online.

Contrary to what people like Cathie Woods are saying, I can see the opposite happening with combustion engines as production declines in lieu of EVs, and I can see combustion vehicles eventually becoming like mechanical watches: niche luxury stuff for the wealthy. EVs in general will become like Casios, and that's what needed for the environment.

I feel like people are a bit too accustomed to the early days as well when production numbers were much lower. The goal is to grow production at 50% annually long term and eventually arrive at 20,000,000 cars per year -- it'll likely be pretty difficult to retain used values when producing such high numbers and wanting to flood the world with Teslas. People frequently compare Tesla to high Euro brands like BMW and Mercedes because of current prices, but it's a totally opposite philosophy versus wanting a degree of exclusivity associated with your badge -- these companies would never want to produce 20million cars per year because it would erode what their badge represents.

Especially when you consider the amount of investments being made into EVs by all companies and the subsidies etc from governments that are likely overriding the free market balancing supply and demand, I think we could see real price declines in the near future especially if interest rates remain higher for longer leading to more subdued demand while all this new production comes online.

Contrary to what people like Cathie Woods are saying, I can see the opposite happening with combustion engines as production declines in lieu of EVs, and I can see combustion vehicles eventually becoming like mechanical watches: niche luxury stuff for the wealthy. EVs in general will become like Casios, and that's what needed for the environment.
This has zero to do with production numbers. Whether its 200k cars annually or 20m, cars aren't an appreciating asset, with very few peculiar exceptions. Now that cheap / free money is out the window, look for weakness in some of those "peculiar" cars as well until the economy stabilizes.

This has zero to do with production numbers. Whether its 200k cars annually or 20m, cars aren't an appreciating asset, with very few peculiar exceptions. Now that cheap / free money is out the window, look for weakness in some of those "peculiar" cars as well until the economy stabilizes.
Those peculiar exceptions you're referring to are likely limited production collector's cars right?

I'm moreso talking about rate of depreciation rather than appreciation, with lower supply versus existing demand possibly helping to prop up resale values -- that's why those limited run collectors cars can appreciate over time. Get into the really crazy brands like Koenigsegg, they put a lot of effort into keeping resale values high and will even sue people who resell for less than they think makes sense. Similar to the Ford GT that John Cena tried to sell and then was sued over.

Again drawing parallels with high end watches, companies like Rolex are masters of underproducing relative to demand and then having more people clamoring for fewer watches thus driving up gray market prices. But when you want to flood the world with something rather than engineer exclusivity by producing less than demand, that'll likely put downward pressure on resale values.

The days of any EV selling on the spot are over. Used Tesla prices are declining as is the entire EV market.

Today I visited my VW dealer who had 12 unsold ID.4s at MSRP. Two are eligible for the tax credits and ten are not. I wanted to test drive the 2023 to see if I would I want one earlier without the 360 cam and (now delete) premium audio - nope.

Tesla is cranking out cars. Used prices are not going to rise.
yep, Carvana stock tanks in continued sell-off

Unfortunately our cars are not collectibles and rightfully so. With production continuing to ramp up, competitors rolling out their new ev product line, there will be more choices for buyers. This is a good thing IMO.

For those of us that purchased after the hike and before the sell off, all we can really do is just enjoy the car. We're all fortunate enough to be able to own one and be part of the growing EV movement so if the value tanks after driving it off the lot, that just means EV is becoming the norm like how ICE cars were, haha.

Almost traded my Model Y 7 seater in for the Bronco my wife ordered in January. The trade in offer was $52k, couldn’t do it for that. Not saying that’s not where the market is I just couldn’t handle that it was over $70 a couple months ago..

Reactions: ord3r
I was gobsmacked by how significantly the online purchasing quotes dropped for my car. '21 MYP ~20k.

Vroom may well have been an outlier on how much they were willing to pay in August, but wow is that a huge drop in a couple of months. Rude awakening on my new car plans LOL

Vroom:
January: $64k
August: $67k
October: $46k

Carvana:
January: $62k
August: $56k
October: $50k

Wound up trading in yesterday for $51k. Instant purchase quotes have dropped into the mid-$40s. All used car prices are dropping, but the bottom has definitely fallen out of the Tesla market.

Wound up trading in yesterday for $51k. Instant purchase quotes have dropped into the mid-$40s. All used car prices are dropping, but the bottom has definitely fallen out of the Tesla market.
With the $7,500 tall tax credit they know about this and are lowballing us now. Will trade in and resale value for Tesla stay this way for a while now?

With the $7,500 tall tax credit they know about this and are lowballing us now. Will trade in and resale value for Tesla stay this way for a while now?
I think it’s more that Tesla has been cruising on its competitors being extremely supply limited for the last two years. That’s opening up now—can readily get the Ioniq 5/ EV6 without markup in a lot of the country, for example. Used pricing is going to reflect that.

I think it’s more that Tesla has been cruising on its competitors being extremely supply limited for the last two years. That’s opening up now—can readily get the Ioniq 5/ EV6 without markup in a lot of the country, for example. Used pricing is going to reflect that.
I bought the MYP for 65k back in May. It dropped $15k in 6 months?

I bought my LR in May and was thinking of selling it for profit because of the crazy trade in prices.. one dealer offered me 73.5 for it. Now trade ins are going for around 46-50k...LOL crazy times How about all the people that bought them on dealer lots for 80-85k because they had to have them and couldn't wait for it to be built. I am just enjoying the car.. I love it. Life is short and enjoy everyday and dont worry about material things

Guys If I buy a Model Y now and sell it after a year with say 10000 Miles on it , any idea what would be the resale value of the Y assuming the prices drop by another 2to 3k for the Long Range Y. I dont want to wait for HW4 as I am getting no material as to when it will be available. I am hoping the tax credit will offset the drop in value .

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, not waiting on HW4 but waiting to see if they will release the new silver or red colors in America. Sold my last car back in March and have been waiting on any news of new colors coming to the Model Y.

I have decided to wait until June to see if any end of Quarter incentives pop up and go ahead and buy then instead. It's a complete guessing game on what the values will be when the new car comes out. I think the last I heard for the Model Y was end of 2024, which would make it a 2025 model. I think the Model 3 refresh is coming first.

If you sold before that, you may not lose much, especially if prices increase from here or even stay the same.

Agreed. I see that at Barett jackson car show here in PHX every year.

Reactions: AndrewZ
I have not been following the Tesla used market much lately. Decided to take a look at trading my 2 year old Y performance for a model X. I was a bit surprised to find the resale value has cratered. The car is worth about 60% of what I paid for it. My 2 year old BMW X5 is worth 80%. I realize Tesla has dropped prices but this surprised me a bit. I figured the car would be worth 45k but 35k caught me off guard. I also shopped it with Carvana and Carmax. Same result!

I have not been following the Tesla used market much lately. Decided to take a look at trading my 2 year old Y performance for a model X. I was a bit surprised to find the resale value has cratered. The car is worth about 60% of what I paid for it. My 2 year old BMW X5 is worth 80%. I realize Tesla has dropped prices but this surprised me a bit. I figured the car would be worth 45k but 35k caught me off guard. I also shopped it with Carvana and Carmax. Same result!
Yeah, the online companies got caught in the middle with the price reductions. It was a tough market adjustment.

...and a new Model Y is $10-15K less now that at peak pricing. Plus subtract another $7,500 - $12,500 tax incentives, plus subtract another $500 for self-referal.

Model S had substaintial upgrades since the 2021 refresh. Model X as well...

Well…. Tesla is selling new ones for $47K after the federal subsidy. So a 2 year old used one would be worth a lot less than $47K. $35K is actually pretty good.