TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roof screen should be opaque.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by slipnslider, Jul 1, 2018.

1. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

As we get into the hot part of the year, people are going to start seeing the effects of heat and a glass roof.

I'm thinking of buying the roof screen, but it just seems so stupid that even that screen isn't totally opaque. It's semi transparent. So you're paying for an additional semi transparent layer to go against the already existing semi transparent layer of the roof glass.

The roof screen should be totally opaque, with perhaps a reflective side facing up for maximum heat and light rejection. Hoping someone makes an aftermarket one before long...

2. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

3. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

I have had 100 degree temps for the last month, no issues with the top glass, excellent cooling from the AC. Turn it on 5 minutes before you get to the car and crack the two front side windows.

• Like x 2
  4. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

Don't worry about a problem that doers not exist.

• Like x 1
  5. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

That's exactly what the OP is talking about. The material is perforated and it lets some light through. Tesla claims it blocks 2/3 of light (or "solar thermal load", which I guess is maybe not exactly the same thing).

(I do wonder if you could find an easy and cheap DIY solution where you just add some opaque material/fabric onto the top of the screen.)

A guy on Youtube did an unpacking/installation review and includes some close-up views and before/after comparisons:

And this video has more close-up views:

6. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

That's the roof screen I'm referring to as being another semi transparent layer instead of a solid one.

7. slotti

slotti Member

I have this one. It is more than sufficiant. I am in LA in the West Valley with average temps above 100.