Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rookie looking for advice on pre-owned 2015 P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks; looking for some advice on a preowned MS 2015 P85D (Manuf: 6/2015). Vehicle is a lease return in great shape and appears it was well taken care of. Options are listed below and being offered at $51,900 with 35,000 miles through a small independent dealer who specializes in just Tesla vehicles.

It was just sent to the SC for a “wellness inspection” and came back with a clean bill of health.

- Autopilot Convenience Features
- Titanium Metallic Paint
- All Glass Panoramic Roof
- Black Next Generation Seats
- 21" Grey Wheels
- Obeche Wood Matte Décor Accents
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
- Premium Interior and Lighting
- Smart Air Suspension

Just curious if there are any concerns with the 2015 production run, or should i be looking a something a little newer. Any advise you could be provide would be appreciated...

Also, just curious about how well the retractable sunroof holds up and if prone to leaking...?

Looks identical to this...
ojha2i

IMO...

No concerns with roof or SAS.. Agree with Che on build quality for that year......

You will loose a little efficiency, and pay more for tires with the 21" wheels.

Mine came off a lease, and was pristine.

Use the pre-buy checklist available on the forums, and make sure you check the range, 270 new, - 5% is ok.

I have a 2015 (6/15) with a panoramic sunroof and I haven’t experienced any leaking even with 8 inches of snow melting on top of it. The main part that needs attention with the sunroofs is the tracks, they need to be greased occasionally otherwise the moving part of the roof experiences a lot of friction while sliding which puts a lot more stress on the motor eventually causing premature failure or overall poor operation. You can tell if they haven’t been greased for awhile if you notice the sunroof struggles to tilt upward to clear the stationary section and then will make a harsh grinding noise as it slides back. That P85D sounds like a great deal with all those options and low mileage. I would check Tesla’s pre-owned inventory just to see if you can find something close to that spec but with the 4yr warranty included but I doubt the price would be as good.

That P85D sounds like a great deal with all those options and low mileage. I would check Tesla’s pre-owned inventory just to see if you can find something close to that spec but with the 4yr warranty included but I doubt the price would be as good.

I did review tesla’s Used website and the same configured vehicle is $7k more. Not sure if it’s worth it unless reliability is a problem...?

How many miles do you have on your car, and how many visits for repairs.

Thanks all...keep your observations and comments coming!

We have a 2015 P85D, but the earlier build with the plus suspension. It has had the power steering fail as well as some issues with the rear suspension requiring replacement. Currently it appears the air suspension has a slow leak somewhere, so it is being looked at this Friday by Tesla. 52k miles with CPO warranty so we haven’t had to pay out of pocket yet. It also had 1 door handle fail.

So, not the greatest in reliability. I think it is a bit of a gamble with Teslas of any year.

I did review tesla’s Used website and the same configured vehicle is $7k more. Not sure if it’s worth it unless reliability is a problem...?

How many miles do you have on your car, and how many visits for repairs.

Thanks all...keep your observations and comments coming!

Figured the price would be much higher through Tesla. Try getting a quote for an extended warranty it’s definitely worth it, I’d estimate that the cost of repairs I’ve had done so far would come close to the price of the warranty. Reliability hasn’t been an issue for me so far but build quality has. I took delivery at the end of November and have visited the SC three times.
1. Loose driver seat rocked back and forth (replaced bottom seat cushion), charge port malfunction, bad window regulator, condensation in both reverse lights, driver door handle assembly replaced.
2.Airbag recall, rear hatch drain recall, driver door puddle light out, steering alignment(non warranty), 12v battery replaced.
3. Tail light out(replaced).

The first visit was due to the previous owner neglecting to take the car in and Tesla not doing a proper inspection before they sold the car to me as these issues were apparent in the first day of ownership. I’m currently at 46k miles, 3 miles lost at full charge from battery degradation.

In my effort to be an informed consumer I have spent the past several weeks research the net, and reading as many articles, blogs, post as possible regarding the reliability of the MS.

Quite frankly the single most concerning issue is the ongoing DU/Motor failures, or perhaps better said frequency of replacement for a myriad of causes.

Although it seems warranty repairs have made many a satisfied customer I’m more worried what happens after the 8 year term is up. I drive about 25k miles for work and pleasure and simply can’t be shelling out thousands every time a DU craps out.

Have the latest DU rev held up for most. Maybe a better understanding the amount of mileage on your current DU/motor would be reassuring.

Hey folks; looking for some advice on a preowned MS 2015 P85D (Manuf: 6/2015). Vehicle is a lease return in great shape and appears it was well taken care of. Options are listed below and being offered at $51,900 with 35,000 miles through a small independent dealer who specializes in just Tesla vehicles.

It was just sent to the SC for a “wellness inspection” and came back with a clean bill of health.

- Autopilot Convenience Features
- Titanium Metallic Paint
- All Glass Panoramic Roof
- Black Next Generation Seats
- 21" Grey Wheels
- Obeche Wood Matte Décor Accents
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
- Premium Interior and Lighting
- Smart Air Suspension

Just curious if there are any concerns with the 2015 production run, or should i be looking a something a little newer. Any advise you could be provide would be appreciated...

Also, just curious about how well the retractable sunroof holds up and if prone to leaking...?

If you buy from that dealer, perhaps you can negotiate a better price and put the savings towards an extended warranty. There is now a third party extended warranty available: https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

My CPO 2015 P85D has been faultless over the last ~6 months. I actually wanted a 2015 because people on this forum had said it was a 'good year' for build quality. In addition its before the early 90 batteries which some say are troublesome, but you can get a few nice things like next gen seats.

This quote is interesting, I have not really seen many recent concerns with DU failures. Kinda figured that was all in the past...

Quite frankly the single most concerning issue is the ongoing DU/Motor failures, or perhaps better said frequency of replacement for a myriad of causes.

By far the most often replaced DU's were '14 and before, rear wheel drive cars, for bearing or "milling" noise. That issue has long been resolved. One very well known MS owner had their DU replaced early on and the replacement now has 170,000 miles on it. I am unaware of the "myriad of causes" and whether there are any systemic problems. It seems to me now the problems are rare and isolated. Additionally, replacing the DU is not as big a deal as an ICE.

I got my P85D from Tesla last month w/ 4 yr 50K mi warranty, for a slightly higher price. Similar options, although I have (and it was a requirement for me) 19s instead of 21s. Was nervous about buying based on moderate (at best) pictures, but it ended up being in excellent condition, couldn't be happier. Mine was manufactured 11/2015 so a good bit newer, and lower miles. There's an article out there about variations in options through time, a good read. I was looking for an MS that was 6/2015 or newer to get the faster internet connection which supposedly helps the display / map update speed.

Final bit of advice: Ev-CPO Hunter!

Full Add.png

Last edited:

Although it seems warranty repairs have made many a satisfied customer I’m more worried what happens after the 8 year term is up. I drive about 25k miles for work and pleasure and simply can’t be shelling out thousands every time a DU craps out.

Have the latest DU rev held up for most. Maybe a better understanding the amount of mileage on your current DU/motor would be reassuring.

The drive unit failures are mainly the now discontinued P85 rear wheel drive only performance

This quote is interesting, I have not really seen many recent concerns with DU failures. Kinda figured that was all in the past...
I am unaware of the "myriad of causes" and whether there are any systemic problems. It seems to me now the problems are rare and isolated. Additionally, replacing the DU is not as big a deal as an ICE.

In reading numerous and very long threaded discussions on this forum, and other sources with the perception DU/motor failures are still an everyday occurrence. Perhaps the frequency of replacement has settled down from the initial on slot, but I’ve seen post for 2017 manuf MS’

Although these are quick and easy to repair it’s the future bill that concerns me—these will be expensive to fix out of warranty. Seems longevity has always been in an issue or as the mileage increases. Driving some 25k-30k a year I’m a little neverious I could be shelling out $$$ every few years. Has this issue of noisy, failing and bricked DUs really gone away the the latest build revision for all trim levels.

In reading numerous and very long threaded discussions on this forum, and other sources with the perception DU/motor failures are still an everyday occurrence. Perhaps the frequency of replacement has settled down from the initial on slot, but I’ve seen post for 2017 manuf MS’

Although these are quick and easy to repair it’s the future bill that concerns me—these will be expensive to fix out of warranty. Seems longevity has always been in an issue or as the mileage increases. Driving some 25k-30k a year I’m a little neverious I could be shelling out $$$ every few years. Has this issue of noisy, failing and bricked DUs really gone away the the latest build revision for all trim levels.

There is a new upgraded drive unit that should last (as of 2017) that is being used for replacements. There is a code for it, but I'm not sure what it is. If the drive unit is replaced under warranty that drive unit comes with an additional warranty on that part.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/04/tesla-electric-motor-update/

Last edited: