Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round trip options

On 200mile+ round trip do you....

• Drive economically to avoid making a charging stop

• Don’t worry about it and stop to charge

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say you were going on a 200mile+ round trip. A journey on which you wouldn’t normally make a stop.

Would you charge to near 100% and drive really economically to get home with less than 10% charge, or would you set off with around 80% and charge once en route and not have to worry about how you drive? (assuming no option to charge at destination)

Last edited:
A piece of string question that depends on bladder control of passenger/driver, whether the route actually goes near superchargers, time fo year, length of half-way stop and degree of spontaneity. I know I can make the run to penryn bay to see the seals in winter with full comfort controls, cold start each end and 20%+ left on the 160 mile round trip if I start at 100% and drive hard but if unsure of the weather I may just take the ICE and clean its cat instead.

Charge 100% (90% to the morning and then manually the rest of 10% once you wake up), drive economically and stop to charge on the return trip or when you arrive to your original destination.

I would never risk 10% charge, both because its bad for the battery but also because there can be road closures, accidents (which can delay you for over an hour) and other things like flat tyres.

Reactions: KerryOH
It really depends on the trip. If I visit my sister, who lives on the east coast, the return trip is about 195 miles. Last time we went there I left home on 95% and for back home with 22% in my LR AWD, so no need for a charge. The roads there are perhaps 25% dual carriageway and 75% single carriageway, which helps with economy.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
I voted for the economy option however, i have done both. It really depends on the circumstance at the time for me.

Ultimately, I'm a bit of a cheapskate and like the thrill of charging at home for as cheap as poss and then seeing how i go. Did Leicester to Leeds and back a few times, for effectively about 2 quid :)

Depends on the amount of time I had. If I had to rush off to see someone on their deathbed or about to give birth i'd risk it. Otherwise I'd plan a stop and make an event out of it. E.g plan a stop somewhere fun, interesting or with good reviews for eating..

If I thought I could charge when I got there (even via 3 pin) I would go there, charge while I was there and see how it went on the way back.

All depends on regularity of SC. Occasionally we visit family in the Midlands which is a 200 mile round trip from the north down the M6. We pass Keele and Hilton Park both on the way down and on the way back. I personally prefer to set off with about 80% charge then top up on the way back for 5-10mins at Keele. Arriving with a really low state of charge allows miles to be added really quickly.

One of the main pluses for me of driving the Tesla is that it really isn’t a big cost saving in driving efficiently. Already saving a packet over ICE cars, so just enjoy

Would you charge to near 100% and drive really economically to get home with less than 10% charge, or would you set off with around 80% and charge once en route and not have to worry about how you drive? (assuming no option to charge at destination)

I would charge to 100% and leave as I reach the 100%, i.e. not leaving the car sitting at 100% for hours. I would have looked at the route and planned a stop either on the way or on the way back for peace of mind.

I would never risk 10% charge, both because its bad for the battery but also because there can be road closures, accidents (which can delay you for over an hour) and other things like flat tyres.

I agree and disagree :). There is no problem at all driving to below 10%, that doesn't harm the battery. Leaving it sitting around at that level especially when it's colder is not a good idea, and I would build a margin in for the unexpected - diversions being the biggest enemy. Sitting in a traffic jam uses surprisingly little energy.

Reactions: kirts
All depends on where chargers are located. I'm fortunate that Oxford SC is about 25 mins north, so if heading that direction I would risk it, and then know it's not far off the route if I'm a little short to get all the way home. If the charging options was 1 hour away I probably would charge rather than drive super economically.

The roads there are perhaps 25% dual carriageway and 75% single carriageway, which helps with economy.
Sorry, can you explain terms, please? I am assuming dual carriageway = 2 lanes each direction, therefore 75% single lanes = lower driving speeds = greater economy. Is that right? And "carriageway"? Are you competing for space with carriages? I guess we have that in Amish country here. (I was born in England but haven't been back since I was 3 months old, so I have to start learning the terms before I come back for a visit!)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Gatsojon
I prefer to charge en route & have driven Cheshire-Suffolk several times:
  • Leave home with 80-90%
  • 30 min top up to 100% at Keele Southbound & arrive with around 20%

• Charge overnight using the UMC for any local driving

• Return - drive 15 miles to Elveden & charge to ~100%
  • Another 30 min top up back to 95% at Keele Northbound
  • Arrive home with around 60%
The final stop at Keele is unnecessary but I like the break.

Reactions: M3-Newbie
Sorry, can you explain terms, please? I am assuming dual carriageway = 2 lanes each direction, therefore 75% single lanes = lower driving speeds = greater economy. Is that right? And "carriageway"? Are you competing for space with carriages? I guess we have that in Amish country here. (I was born in England but haven't been back since I was 3 months old, so I have to start learning the terms before I come back for a visit!)
Yes, you’re spot on. The terms “dual carriageway” and “single carriageway” are widely used in the U.K., and I think you’re also right with the etymology - originating when the roads were used by a horse and carriage.

For the equivalent American terms I believe you’re looking at:

Dual Carriageway = Divided Highway
Single Carriageway = Undivided Highway

Yes you are correct,
Single Carriageway - Regular roads around towns speed limits ranging from 20-60mph.
Dual carriageway - Usually has a speed of 40-70mph depending on location.

I've been in this situation over the last few months.

My current commute is 198 miles. I do this on a Monday morning and a Friday night. I can charge for free overnight whilst I'm away, but not at work.

In the summer, I could leave with 95% or 100%, drive to work, drive about 5-6 miles at lunch time, drive to the hotel and start charging from about 22%, ish.

When it was cold about two weeks ago, the trip energy graph did not look good. I started with 92%, did the same journey and arrived at the charger at 11%. Since then, I've charged at 11 kW for 20 mins or so at the services I regularly stop at on the way down, which is enough to make it to the hotel with > 20 %.

It will be interesting to see how it goes as it gets colder. I could divert to a supercharger, but this would mean changing my current stop-off point.

Any drives I do of any great length take me past a few super chargers so I just tailor my stops to be there pop it on charge as long as I feel and then cruise on - I’m never under time pressure on my drives and allow plenty of time - I’d much rather stop for 15/20 mins I didn’t need and get a great boost in battery percent than risk an issue! I always arrive with 20%+ range - the route planner often suggests arriving with 5% but I could never handle that!

a bit like if the baby sleeps you sleep - I do if I eat or need a restroom stop - the car charges!

I got to Carlisle with 18 % once on way to the hospital where carpark had no charger and it was cold so I got a tonne of messages to charge urgently - the car was really new and my first EV so I was super relieved to get home and get it on charge!

I regulatly travel to see family in Berkshire a 135 mile trip of mainly motorways & have made the return journey (9% remaining) without charging en route. It was several degrees warmer then so now I top up to 85% at a nearby supercharger which gives me plenty of riggle room for pottering about. I usually start the journey with 90-95% and cruise at 70 -75mph where possible.
Prior to covid 19 we spent 10 or 12 weekends away at sporting events spread throughout the uk and far enough to warrent 1 or 2 nights stay. It will be interesting to see how I get on when the events return & I have to plan my routes based on availability of chargers.