Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Apple buying Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're funny today, and very poetic... I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago, and while I don't smoke tobacco I did smoke some other things there... Have you been doing the same today?

Just trying to cheer you up guys.

By the way, I don't do tobacco/alcohol/drugs/etc.
Thouht I should let you know that, just to be sure that we avoid weird circumstances.

But back on topic now. I
really think that that just might happen (2030?).
It's my guess. Do whatever you want to do with it.

Just a question to you: "Were you surprised to see that the share price of TSLA was above $100 in May 2013?"
What if (three months ago) somebody would have told you that that would happen, would you have believed that then?
How would you have reacted if somebody would have told you that that would happen?
The reason for us being surprised about something is that we did not expect that certain things would/could become reality.
Just think about that for a moment.

Reviving this thread to report a new rumor: Apple is actively working on an EV to compete with Model S. They have also poached some Tesla employees.

One one hand, this is good news for the advancement of EVs--it does seem that the tech companies will ultimately be the ones to make this happen, rather than traditional automakers.

On the other, my fear is that neither Apple nor Tesla will cooperate in terms of creating a universal charging infrastructure, that both will maintain their own proprietary networks. Although Tesla is clearly ahead in the race, Apple has the capital to make this happen fast.

Reviving this thread to report a new rumor: Apple is actively working on an EV to compete with Model S. They have also poached some Tesla employees.

One one hand, this is good news for the advancement of EVs--it does seem that the tech companies will ultimately be the ones to make this happen, rather than traditional automakers.

On the other, my fear is that neither Apple nor Tesla will cooperate in terms of creating a universal charging infrastructure, that both will maintain their own proprietary networks. Although Tesla is clearly ahead in the race, Apple has the capital to make this happen fast.

I bet you won't be able to swap out the battery in the Apple EV! ;)

Can you shed some more light on the basis of this rumor, credibilty and so on?

I bet you won't be able to swap out the battery in the Apple EV! ;)

But I bet you could play music from the built in flash memory, ONLY from the built in flash memory! :)

AT first glance it sounds like a pretty far-fetched rumor. On second thought.... hmm.... I dunno.

Apple may be thinking that they need to get into a new line of business -- a big one -- in order to keep growing. And if cars are turning into electronic devices, that does sort of fall into their territory. And if Google are experimenting with cars, then Apple may see it as something they need to delve into as well.

Or it may be more like the Apple Camera. Past rumors have told that Apple tried long and hard to design a better digital camera, but they were unable to come up with anything sufficiently advanced enough over what was already on the market to make it worthwhile.

Reviving this thread to report a new rumor: Apple is actively working on an EV to compete with Model S. They have also poached some Tesla employees

It is irresponsible and just plain foolish to start a rumor like that which is based on zero reliable, verified, information. The idea that Apple wants to get into the business of manufacturing cars is ludicrous. It's not going to happen.

Very credible. Heard it from a former engineer who heard it from a current engineer, who said that Elon called an all-hands meeting about it. That's all I know.

I don't believe you.

If Apple was going to make cars, they would make them in China, the same way they make almost everything else. I doubt Tim Cook has the vision to pull off an electric car.

Geez, I'm sorry I upset some of you. When I reported this info, I assumed people would want to discuss the possibilities--could Apple actually pull this off? Are they using Tesla's patents? Would it be good for Tesla to have some actual competition that might spur the mass-adoption of EVs? Could Apple and Tesla cooperate on infrastructure? (Doubtful.)

Yes, it was hearsay. But I thought it was very interesting (and I thought others might think so too).

Apple does have loads of cash (obviously). They understand Li-ion batteries as well albeit at a different scale and form factor. Their traditional iDevice business has had its ebbs (each new iPhone gen) and flows (the shrinking iPad business). The rest of their hardware business is relatively small or has mostly plateaued. So, I'd argue "why not?"

Poaching Tesla engineers is par for the course in the Valley. If anything, many of them have learned valuable lessons at Tesla regarding vehicle engineering and manufacturing (about which Apple knows a thing or two irregardless of where that actually happens) and can bootstrap things quickly at Apple given the deep pockets.

I'd encourage Apple to bring it on. If Google jumps in too (as they'll be tempted/compelled to, once Apple's in), the new Big Three of Autos will be in Silicon Valley ;)

Btw, Happy New Year, everyone!