Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: HW4 can support up to 13 cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My m3p was made in Nov. 2022. It comes w/ the new cameras. Interestingly, my mcu failed nearly immediately after I received it. They replaced the mcu with the current hw3 mcu (confirmed w/ serial). So although I think I have the new side cameras, don't believe it has hw4 hardware. The pillar cameras appear to be the older design.
IMG_1459.jpeg
IMG_1457.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and DanCar
I know HW4 isn’t upgradeable but I do wonder if just the higher res cameras or the radar will be user upgradeable via purchase. I’d enjoy that

Not sure how that'd make any sense.

The connections are different, and without the HW4 computer there'd be nothing for them to plug into (and likely nothing for them to do even if you invented your own wiring harness to connect them to HW3 since they'd be providing different info than HW3 is looking for)

Some possible confirmation of additional camera locations, at least on the upcoming model 3 refresh:

Doesn’t add too much but suggests there’s a new bumper cam coming to the front and 2 new front facing cameras integrated in the repeaters for a total of 11.

Not clear if there will be 2 more cameras in the rear to add up to 13 but I guess we’ll see in a quarter or so.

Reactions: WyoDude and DanCar
Some possible confirmation of additional camera locations, at least on the upcoming model 3 refresh:

Doesn’t add too much but suggests there’s a new bumper cam coming to the front and 2 new front facing cameras integrated in the repeaters for a total of 11.

Not clear if there will be 2 more cameras in the rear to add up to 13 but I guess we’ll see in a quarter or so.
From article:
"The fender camera housing will now contain two cameras each. One will face backward as it does now, while the other will point in the other direction. It's not clear how the new camera will be oriented, but we speculate that they will be aimed off to the side to give the car a better view at certain intersections."

If this does happened, I would say to a bunch of people: I told you so.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
From article:
"The fender camera housing will now contain two cameras each. One will face backward as it does now, while the other will point in the other direction. It's not clear how the new camera will be oriented, but we speculate that they will be aimed off to the side to give the car a better view at certain intersections."

If this does happened, I would say to a bunch of people: I told you so.
Tesla's engineers must have decided that a side-facing camera integrated into the headlight assembly was just too prone to being obstructed by rain, snow and mud. A side-facing camera added to the repeater is better than nothing, but it doesn't seem like such positioning will significantly improve decision making when there's high speed cross traffic.