Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[rumor] Model X revealed at IAA 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hobbes

Feb 11, 2013
Germany
This post by ev-enthusiast got me interested - a belgian web site quotes German AutoBild as saying the X will be revealed at German motor show IAA.

The production version of the Tesla Model X will be revealed in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Looked at the current AutoBild Website and in an article published today they says just the opposite, which seems strange:

Noch im September wird Tesla die ersten Model X ausliefern. Eine Premiere auf der IAA 2015 (17. bis 27. September) scheint unwahrscheinlich, da Tesla eine Premiere fern jeder Messe bevorzugt.

Translation: A reveal at IAA 2015 seems unlikely, as Tesla prefers a reveal away from any motor show.

So where did that original info come from? Well, fortunately the Internet does not forget, the wayback machine comes to our help. This is the version of AutoBild´s title page as of 8:42 this morning:

Screen shot 2015-08-10 at 9.44.58 PM.png

Under the picture with the yellow car the page says: "Tesla Model X shortly before release to market - Delayed many times, but it is finally there: Tesla officially reveals its electric SUV at IAA 2015."

Mistake or cover-up of leaked information?

And yeah, I checked, Tesla is in fact exhibiting at IAA: Exhibitor Directory ∣ IAA 2015

Last edited:
Under the picture with the yellow car the page says: "Tesla Model X shortly before release to market - Delayed many times, but it is finally there: Tesla officially reveals its electric SUV at IAA 2015."

Mistake or cover-up of leaked information?

We'll know soon enough. If there is a take-down request on this post, we'll know that it's legitimate. :rolleyes:

Good find hobbes, I tend to think the latter (cover-up of leaked information)!

Edit; What the heck is that yellow car in the pic? A Model X certainly isn't!! (No falcon wing doors, for one).

Wow, I am good at googling stuff today: The yellow car is a mock-up from 2011: andrei avarvarii portfolio - Future Tesla cars illustrated for AutoBild Germany - November 2011

For the info first appearing and then being removed, I could also imagine it is a game to just start the rumour that has now obviously succeeded.

AutoBild is where I first read about and fell in love with Tesla in 2006. Were never very reliable with news like this so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Really would be a very unusual way for Tesla to launch a product don't you think?
If anything it will have been revealed at a private event before then - maybe at the same time Design Studio goes live, so end of August - and then they'd use the IAA to start showing the car to a wider audience.

If Tesla holds a public reveal of the Model X in the U.S. prior to the Frankfurt Auto Show, I think there's a very good chance they will have one on display there. However, if it has not yet been revealed in the U.S. by September 17, it will likely be a no-show in Frankfurt.

I'm probably unrealistically optimistic, but I'm choosing to interpret this as:

Tesla will reveal on their own at a special event - in early September, and will have a production unit on display at IAA 2015, the first show that they'll have one at.

Tesla is not going to do the reveal of Model X in Germany. Unquestionably, and with no doubt whatsoever , the first reveal will be in California.

Blizzard an American company revealed their new expansion for WoW, in Germany. Maybe there's a trend...

Please note: I don't play WoW or whatever they call it.

Tesla is not going to do the reveal of Model X in Germany. Unquestionably, and with no doubt whatsoever , the first reveal will be in California.

come on Nigel, show some love for the Right coast! No need to be practical and stick to common sense. Tesla X reveal will be at the

Mid-Atlantic Shrine Association Convention 2015

Sep 09, 2015 – Sep 13, 2015
Virginia Beach Convention Center
1900 Pavilion Dr, Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia Beach, VA 23451

(717) 938-5267

OK... It may be a really small version....

Sources tell me that it's going to be in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on September 5(*).

(*)Note: my sources, generally found within my head, are usually wrong but occasionally right.