Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor - New MS 100D and P100D Price Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I've been given a heads-up of a price drop being implemented this afternoon. Numbers I heard were in the $3,500 - $6,500 range.

EDIT: Limited to new inventory (for the present) and not new custom builds. But as the good comments below suggest, the time to squeeze the price of the 100Ds should be upon us soon. Hopefully once they clear the numbers of the new inventory models.

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr
For what it's worth, I've been given a heads-up of a price drop being implemented this afternoon. Numbers I heard were in the $3,500 - $6,500 range. New builds, but we've seen these trickle down to inventory also. Just a heads up - hoping it is the case.
Why would Tesla do that now, just a few days before the end of a quarter? It won't help their Q3 sales numbers since Tesla only counts a sale when the car is delivered to a customer.

It would also reduce the price difference between the 3 and the S/X. Would it result in a signficant number of Model 3 reservation cancellations and S/X purchases? That cost of that would be reduced S/X margins.

I don't pretend to have a definitive answer to that question. I can only speculate. Which as of know is all this thread is: speculation. ;)

Why would Tesla do that now, just a few days before the end of a quarter? It won't help their Q3 sales numbers since Tesla only counts a sale when the car is delivered to a customer.

It would also reduce the price difference between the 3 and the S/X. Would it result in a signficant number of Model 3 reservation cancellations and S/X purchases? That cost of that would be reduced S/X margins.

I don't pretend to have a definitive answer to that question. I can only speculate. Which as of know is all this thread is: speculation. ;)
If it's only 100D reductions, that's not really causing the base S and X's to be lower....

never understood the $20K for the 25kWh (on the X side)... except to contribute to R&D :D

It's even worse on the S side: $23k more for just 25 kWh more capacity. Approximately the same price ($24k) as purchasing an entire new 75 kWh battery from Tesla. A reduction of only $6.5k doesn't go very far in reducing this price gouging. The extra 25-30 kWh capacity of the long-range Model 3 only costs $9k.

Clarification I have received on the internal memo that went out to sales group:

New cars (custom orders) will not see these pricing discounts.
Only Inventory cars are going to be price reduced in order to stir orders for Q3 inventory reduction.

I was recently thinking that the "pre performance improvement" inv cars had not dropped that much, if at all. So there we go.

You see, Moore's Law continues to apply, i.e., dramatically increase in power, and decrease in relative cost, at an exponential pace.

The power has always been there - the limiting factor in power is the speed control hardware, algorithms and contactors. The S85 could burn rubber much earlier than it was allowed (while in the hands of the engineers and overriding the algorithms).