Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lamenting 75D/100D pricing difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, the Model S has a $23,000 pricing difference for nothing but an extra 25kWh of battery capacity (+high-amperage charger). Whereas the Model 3 has a $9,000 difference for an estimated increase of 20kWh. Previously, the Model S capacity pricing difference was increased when they added several features to the 100D not standard on the lower models. However, all those extras have now become standard. Yet the pricing difference remains $23,000. I know there is nothing we can do about it other than just not buy, and Tesla can charge whatever they want. I am just lamenting, because I really want the 100D, but have a very difficult time justifying that much more.

Currently, the Model S has a $23,000 pricing difference for nothing but an extra 25kWh of battery capacity (+high-amperage charger). Whereas the Model 3 has a $9,000 difference for an estimated increase of 20kWh. Previously, the Model S capacity pricing difference was increased when they added several features to the 100D not standard on the lower models. However, all those extras have now become standard. Yet the pricing difference remains $23,000. I know there is nothing we can do about it other than just not buy, and Tesla can charge whatever they want. I am just lamenting, because I really want the 100D, but have a very difficult time justifying that much more.
What is your source for the 20KWh for the Model 3? Most speculation right now is 55KWh vs 75KWh, but but it might be 55KWh vs 85KWh or something else. Until we get some hard numbers from the users/wk057, we wont know. But I do agree the price increase for the 100KWh version is quite excessive, but then again you are buying a premium version of Tesla cars.

What is your source for the 20KWh for the Model 3? Most speculation right now is 55KWh vs 75KWh, but but it might be 55KWh vs 85KWh or something else. Until we get some hard numbers from the users/wk057, we wont know. But I do agree the price increase for the 100KWh version is quite excessive, but then again you are buying a premium version of Tesla cars.
It would be interesting to see what the charging screen has to say on the 3. Unless the UI is changed totally, it should toggle between percent and kWh! Maybe the cars aren't badged/described in pack sizes, but good grief... :D

The model S 100D is clearly now the "S" or 7 series equivalent. If the prestige of the top of the line is not a motivator, it's hard for many to justify the price.

When the model 3 was revealed, I said it would be Tesla's main sedan. I was pooh poohed at the time. But how does a $60K loaded model 3 look now compared to a $120K model S?

Prestige, extreme speed, and a big screen for 2X the price. 90% of higher end sedan buyers will give the model 3 serious thought. What will maintain model S sales is model 3 availability.

most people not on these forums usually make 30-80k and few make 100-150k and fewer make 200-500k and of course even fewer make 500k+ so to spend even 60k -200k on a car is NOT the majority.Sure obviously some do it and many live above their means in the states(see cc debt). That said many will look at a loaded 3 next to a loaded s and still wonder why is the s 2+x as much when range and performance are so close? 1 sec faster..big deal..even the s60 is faster then most cars for most people.Sure the performance niche exists and you pay for it in many diff ways after you buy to like speeding tickets/insurance maybe repairs with certain performance cars but for prestige/lol..extreme speed..whooptie doo....big screen( the 3 model is 15 the s is 17-again no biggie really i mean its just a car!!! you dont live in it...i see plenty of people in coffee shops on 13-15 inch laptops and tablets and ipads all day long that arent struggling to have a bigger screen .
The 3 will outsell the s in a huge way as tesla likely starts to price the s higher down the road to make it a wider gap. I dont buy the whole 3 vs 5 vs 7 series comparisons to the tesla -ITS NOT THE SAME..In theory it may"seem" the same but in reality its just not.
Remember when the roadster came out...only uber rich people could afford it and i saw a ton in boulder but average working class people werent driving them.

Anyhow i agree with this posters post.

None of the extras mattered to me when I went from a locked 70D to a 100D. An extra 25kWh makes a huge difference if you road trip a lot, because it means the difference between charging at full speed at 200 rated miles versus tapering substantially before that point. It's shaved a substantial amount of time off my most common road trips, and for some trips the extra 100 miles meant I no longer had to make a supercharger stop at all. That was a huge deal for me and will remain the primary reason for contemplating the bigger battery option.

The operational difference between a 100D and a 75D is basically how often you have to stop on a long road trip. That's it! Day-to-day I don't think you'll notice the 1.5 second differential in 0-60 times.

For that, $23k ain't worth it. I'll buy the same car and stop a little more frequently on my occasional road trip.

Reactions: caltechkid
The operational difference between a 100D and a 75D is basically how often you have to stop on a long road trip. That's it! Day-to-day I don't think you'll notice the 1.5 second differential in 0-60 times.

For that, $23k ain't worth it. I'll buy the same car and stop a little more frequently on my occasional road trip.
Its not 1.5 seconds. Its just 0.2 seconds.

Actually, imho, range is not so relevant anymore - on road trips I'll be stopping every 250km anyway. Charging speed is a lot more relevant: does anyone have the data (real data, not Tesla website or so data) of charging speeds at a SuperCharger for a S75 vs. a S100D (at, say, a few km left before the start of the charge)?

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
Actually, imho, range is not so relevant anymore - on road trips I'll be stopping every 250km anyway. Charging speed is a lot more relevant: does anyone have the data (real data, not Tesla website or so data) of charging speeds at a SuperCharger for a S75 vs. a S100D (at, say, a few km left before the start of the charge)?
Yes, charging speed it more important. And its always slower than what tesla says. Especially if you get paired up in the charging station. Its slower if it too cold or hot too.

This is only true if you are on a route that has a Supercharging station. The Model S75 still has range issues going up to Yosemite and back on a single charge. There is also only a handful of places with a single charging station on a 40amp charger. With 300+ miles the range anxiety is all but eliminated. With the S75 I would think twice about driving up to Lake Tahoe to ski/snowboard without the fear of getting stuck.

100 battery has additional technology to allow massive increase in performance, not evident in the Model 3 long range.

The 100 is not just more cells, but a better performing battery with lots more than just the additonal range. Malcom said it was a big accomplishment, and a major advance in technology.

And, of course, 2x the cargo capacity. With kids, that's a huge deal.

Yes, but almost all more affluent families go SUV for primary family car. The model 3 certainly doesn't compete with SUV. The Model Y will be smaller than ideal for many more affluent families.

Tesla is unique with the large sedan. How many families traded a Chevy Impala for a Model S? I'll bet most of the cars the model S trade ins were smaller than the model 3. So it seems to me that most of these buyers might naturally migrate to a model 3 when they have a choice.

The model S will be the better premium car. But as the OP pointed out, the price difference can be extreme depending on one's priorities.

100 battery has additional technology to allow massive increase in performance, not evident in the Model 3 long range.

The 100 is not just more cells, but a better performing battery with lots more than just the additonal range. Malcom said it was a big accomplishment, and a major advance in technology.

What tangible benefit does that give you other than bragging rights though?

Reactions: ucmndd
I think they will bring prices down for both the 75 and 100 to some degree (by either lowering the price or including more as standard). There just isn't enough of a difference between the 3 and S now. In fact, I think they are already doing that. We've already seen a price drop on the 75s a few short months ago, and now every S comes standard with Smart Air Suspension, glass roof, and many of the features previously found in the premium upgrades package (cornering headlights, interior lights, etc).

My next guess is that they drop the S75 and only offer the 75D, 100D, or P100D. I suspect they would either keep the 75D entry price the same at $69,500 or maybe split the difference at $72,500. For the 100D they could include the premium upgrades package as standard and possibly even include the Enhanced Driving Features as standard which substantially trims the price that people are going to have to pay.

This is the opposite of tear-downs on the 100kw packs, It's just more of the same with a different cooling loop. WK057 has torn down a 100kw and dissected it's internals to document the difference.

I also was told by someone who recently had their 75 kWh battery replaced by their insurance company that Tesla charged the insurance company $24,000 for an entire brand new 75 kWh battery (not swap or trade in)! Yet Tesla charges another $23,000 to upgrade a 75D to a 100D. :-(