Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2xWV9Ym.jpg

I am not sure Tesla is holdig back on changing the S, because they also think the Xes nose is ugly. If it were so, why did the make the X nose like it is?
The mockup I posted above isn't mine. Credit goes to someone, Im sure. It might not be exactly how the updated S might look like, but it would be easily realizable and makes the car look more than just a bit different. And, unlike some of you, I believe that Teslas focus group for the S isn't infinitely expandable and keeping the already customers interested is important. I don't say there is anything wrong with the S, but thats how the car business works. And Tesla is even more extreme, they changed and upgraded their car multiple times over the last years and I don't think the exterior is something they won't touch. And it wouldn't even be a major change. Changing the front isn't really a big deal.

The mockup looks pretty good, although it seems a bit high, I think the front edge of the hood extends a bit further. The Model X has the whole shark snout thing going, with the Model S, I'd like to see them make it even more aggressive. BTW, I like the front of the MX, especially in the darker colors.

The mockup looks pretty good, although it seems a bit high, I think the front edge of the hood extends a bit further. The Model X has the whole shark snout thing going, with the Model S, I'd like to see them make it even more aggressive. BTW, I like the front of the MX, especially in the darker colors.

I'm 50/50 on that design, though it might be the white.

One thing that does stand out is the side repeaters (probably because the originator of that design tinted them). Really is a bit old hat nowadays, the mirror housed ones are a much more modern.

Saying that I guess the long awaited side cameras could make an entry at some point, and there is nowhere else legally they can go ;)

I don't like it. Too flat. Too blah. Don't like it on the X, wouldn't like on the S.

However, as I mentioned earlier, should they choose to do something like this, they would be VERY smart in doing so in a manner that doesn't change the hood or the front fenders. Hence, just the nose and grilles change, but mount to the fenders and car the same as the current nose does. That way, IF, big IF, anybody with a current Model S wants to upgrade their car, they'd have the option to do so by just changing the nose and accompanying hardware. Cost would likely be around $6,000 + paint and labor, but at least then, current owners have the option.

While many appreciate that Tesla is constantly updating the car, many are also very annoyed by it. Imagine all those buyers that bought just before they started adding the Auto Pilot hardware. Or owners that spent $120,000 grand on the previous P85+, only to have the P85D, a full second faster, come out days later! If Tesla really wants to appeal to their existing owners and continue to be different by updating the car whenever they feel like it, rather than at the end of each model year, they need to do so in a manner that doesn't piss off existing owners, by allowing them to upgrade at reasonable costs. Currently they have a very bad attitude towards allowing owners to upgrade. Simply saying "NO" on a lot of items, despite the owner's willingness to pay for the upgrade. Or, they charge astronomical amounts. Heard $7,500 just to add parking sensors to an older model. It appears that they are now willing to allow owners to upgrade to Next Gen seats for around $6,000, so hopefully that's a sign they are changing that attitude. Will be costly to upgrade, but at least owners will have the choice and not be so pissed off that they bought a 2016 car in January only to have it be outdated in February, 2016.

If Tesla does decide to change the nose, being that I don't like the X style nose on the S, I'd probably just upgrade to an aftermarket, more aggressive and sporty nose for around the same cost. There are a couple of companies out there offering new noses. So if my December, 2015 P90D becomes outdated in January, 2016, I'll just go a different direction.

Nice that you did get a call back on that suggestion. If we keep your premise alive... then perhaps we shall see the end of the 85KWh battery pack when the cells used in the 90KWh pack are readily available and those used in the 85KWh pack become less available.

I can also see some of the wood interior trim choices of the X come over to the S. Again small items that are in the pipeline and from suppliers whom have a good record of supply.

I can see how cloth Next Gens would be attractive in the hotter climates.... or for those who desire cloth over leather.

It would be a simplification of production to switch over to the partial silicon chemistry and offer just one battery chemistry. They would also probably bump the base pack up to 75 KWh too. I don't know how much wood trim from the Model X would make it over because there would be differences in shape to some pieces, though I believe the X and S share the same front of the cabin where most of the wood goes, so it's possible some of the trim options might make it.

I know many vegans have a problem with leather seats and caused a bit of an uprising at a Tesla shareholders meeting about it. I don't have any major philosophical problems with leather, but we have other seating materials that are at least as good now. Leather originally was used because it was the most durable material for seats, but the cloth seats in my Buick still look new after 23 years. We have other materials that are as good if not better. Here in Portland there has been an ad on the radio for a leather furniture store that has been around a long time. The owner talks about her father who founded the store and leather was once the poor person's fabric for couches because it lasted longer than cloth, but now it's the fashionable material for couches and it more expensive. She pitches her store as a fashionable place to shop, but I took away a different message from the ad.

Leather has become a prestige thing in cars and personally I find it about as comfortable as vinyl. Leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter and it's slick so you slide around on it rather than stay in place. My father had a 1998 Cadillac with leather and even when belted in you could feel your backslide slip a bit going around corners, even rather slowly. Why is leather such a thing with cars? It makes no sense to me.

As I said above, I don't have a strong objection to leather in principle. It is a good material for things like shoes and belts. Automotive use has increased and beef consumption has decreased so much of it that we're outstripping the supply of byproduct and a lot of cows are being killed (especially in Asia) just for their hides for what is IMO an inferior material. All for something that is just fashionable.

I'm willing to agree to disagree with others if they really want leather in their car. To each their own and if some people truly prefer it to other materials, that's your choice, I respect decisions based on some thought. Leather might have more pluses than minuses for some people, different people are going to have different lists. The only thing that bugs me is people going for something out of fashion alone without thinking it through.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure Tesla is holdig back on changing the S, because they also think the Xes nose is ugly. If it were so, why did the make the X nose like it is?
The mockup I posted above isn't mine. Credit goes to someone, Im sure. It might not be exactly how the updated S might look like, but it would be easily realizable and makes the car look more than just a bit different. And, unlike some of you, I believe that Teslas focus group for the S isn't infinitely expandable and keeping the already customers interested is important. I don't say there is anything wrong with the S, but thats how the car business works. And Tesla is even more extreme, they changed and upgraded their car multiple times over the last years and I don't think the exterior is something they won't touch. And it wouldn't even be a major change. Changing the front isn't really a big deal.

Tesla always pegged the Model S market to be about 50K cars a year and that's pretty close to where they are now. They also pegged the Model X around 50K cars. I think a major barrier to entry is the price. There are lots of people out there who want an S or X, but can't afford one. For every $10K they would be able to shave off the price, they would see a major increase in sales. I think the average Model S costs around $100K when the options are added in, if that was $70k - $80K instead, Tesla would be taking sales away from cars selling in the $50k-$60K range which is a significantly bigger market than the $80K-$100K market.

At current costs, Tesla would make no profit at $80K for a standard equipped Model S, but if they could get costs down, they would be able to make money at that price. The biggest potential cost saver is the batteries which will come down with time.

I don't expect prices on the Model S and X to come down until the Model 3 is out there. With the Model 3, they will have enough volume to squeeze their suppliers for better prices and have enough profit from the mass market car to take a smaller profit on the high end cars without losing any money. Right now they make on average $20K a car. If they cut that to $10K and found another $10K in savings, they could sell the average Model S for $80K and probably sell 100,000 - 200,000 a year.

This rendering of the nosecone looks great. It has a very sleek, modern, and understated look that fits the Model S quite well. I bet the actual facelift will look even better.

The more I look at the rendering below the more I realize what a redundant appendage the current black nosecone is.

View attachment 104977

I think that if the Model S came out with this nosecone originally, we'd all love it! I'm indifferent. At first I totally hated it at the Model X reveal, but it's starting to grow on me.

Agree on the lame nose-cone. What a doof. I suggest that for those with lighter colors, paint it the body color. Or paint it satin black to reduce its apparent size.

For myself I'm going to wrap my car to look similar to this:
938662_DZP55EBEOGPTNTNV5MTY8HZECD8LH6_auto-lusso-rolls-royce-wraith_H195541_L.jpg

No yellow clown colors for me...

Yes I'm going to ignore the rounded sides of the nose-cone and just run gray right down with the hood lines. I'm going to cut it so the nose-cone line looks straight at a 45 degree angle to either side. This is easy using a laser. Cut along the bottom edge of the nose-cone in front, and the trunkline in the back.

I want black sides and lighter top, as opposed to the reverse, to reduce the apparent height of the car. Also I don't want the stark contrast as in the picture. I have in mind 3M Brushed Steel. And keep that grain straight on the car again with a laser. (Of course not covering the pano) I think this will freshen up a kind of ageing style.

And traditionally I run black 3M reflective tape (yes black) along the side, at about the centerline of the wheels, hopefully along under a crease, for safety.

And I don't need the "Model S" on the back. Instead I want "ELECTRIC", in Tesla font. Anyone know where I can find this?

Last edited:
please, please re-do the nosecone on the S.

by the way, nice picture of the wraith quantum! there is one ICE i would like to have...

for those that do not follow this sort of thing...check out the star inspired interior....

P90178544.0.jpg

Last edited: