Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern is if Russia starts getting more clever and mines areas they're evacuating, or draws a tired/overextended UA into a trap with fake retreats & counterattacks, or poisons/traps supplies they leave behind, or goes back to their classic scorched earth retreats ("if we can't have it, no one can").

Then again, maybe I'm giving a low morale Russian army with poor structure too much credit...

The modern Russian army is a shadow of the Red Army of WWII. Laying mines takes time. The Russians have mined some defensive positions, but the army is mostly untrained people now. Those who do have training have been slotted into roles where they have no training. The Ukrainians have made some interesting captures lately. At Izium they captured a bunch of soldiers from the nuclear forces who had been forced into the infantry with virtually no training. They also captured a sailor from the Baltic Fleet who was made a tank driver with a week's training.

Mark Hertling's comments on the need to rest and refit seem to have already been digested by the UKR senior staff. They have not over extended themselves and have been slow and methodical in moving into the vacuum created by the exiting russians.

My thoughts on the situation in the south is that Kherson is going exactly as wished by the UKR, a pinning and attrition based counter offensive with significant probing and recon to find weakness which can be exploited. At first the russians have artillery munitions sufficient to make attacks dangerous. Over time, weeks/months even, that will fall away and at some point they'll have to create a smaller perimeter and when the UKR get to the edge of Kherson then they will evacuate some elite forces but most of the LPR/DNR folks will be left to fight/surrender/die. Then the russians will engage in some pretty beastly artillery battles targeting any and all of Kherson. I fear that it will look like grozny or Aleppo. All of that will be for the russians to attempt to defend the bank of river in depth, it's very wide and mostly dunes/marshes in the delta some the same limits of crossing will hinder the UKR as it did the russians.

At that point a flank attack from the north from the existing UKR position across the bank of the river will be powerful, such a force will threaten not only the gateway to the Crimea but also threaten all forces and positions along the sea of Azov all the way to the border of russia. That will serve as a pinning action in and of itself because that is a huge front will only 1 really strong GLOC. That can be severed at almost any point.

Russia has been rumored to have pulled back 3-4 brigades to strengthen defense in depth in the area and have been building fortifications. That was early last month so I assume they see the same risks that @petit_bateau and @wdolson and others have described, some sort of pincer movement through this province.

Unknowns:
  • What will UKR do with the recently altered LOC?
  • Will they hold a division to respond to a renewed push by Russia into Kharkiv from Russia?
  • UKR mobilization means that UKR has a manpower force advantage vs russia. Every video shows well equipped troops. The kit and health of the UKR seems so far superior that it's obvious western aid and training has reached down to the individual soldier. So now what? The manpower numbers reveal a huge amount of uncommitted reserves. We only have just begun to see western equipment committed to front line combat, damaged hummve etc. Where are the other 50k soldiers in new kit? Somewhere.
  • Do they sweep down into these pro russian oblasts because the going will get tougher there, there are actually some pro russian citizens and they'll be reporting intel and resisting and morale should greatly improve for the militias if they are fighting on home territory.
  • Will Zelansky do a Mandela like general amnesty for everyone in the war? It would be a powerful statement and did wonders for SA but Mandela was a force...the most savvy and ardent believer in his country that any nation could hope for (like churchill or washington or lincoln). This would leave the Russians fighting wrong-footed for Crimea by themselves. I think the USA civil war offers lots of lessons for others, SA is more recent. Both examples for study and that is future planning that UKR needs at this time when victory now looks possible.
  • A few days ago firing along the Kherson perimeter had faded away almost into nothing, just a few rocket strikes but it seems to have heated up yesterday so maybe negotiations stalled or went nowhere. Will they get the Russians to surrender in Kherson?
  • Where are the russians over extended? That's what UKR is searching for right now.
One thing I am sure about is that in London or somewhere in the UK the UKR and USA and UK are wargaming again. If I'm the CIA I'm trying to find a few helpful oligarchs and a couple of generals.

A note on the destruction of the guards tank army that has ceased to be in Izium. That was the army that led the coups in the 90s and was, historically charged with protecting Moscow. This tells you Putin has learned something...kill those that threaten him. Normally that army would not have been deployed. It had been on the front for 6 months with no rest and refit. It was meant to die.

That unit did what it did 30 years ago. Nobody in the current unit had anything to do with it, in fact most members of the unit were born after 1990. The Russians don't rotate units on the front, they don't have the manpower and it's not part of their practice. Soldiers go to the front and they are there until they die, the commanders move the unit somewhere else or their contract expires (and then some aren't allowed to go home). The Guards unit was there until it wasn't.

Ukr has static units they are using to hold captured ground. These units have been along the Belarus and Russian border in the north for months. They will be inserted into the border at Kherson to defend it from the Russians. Ukr probably also has a mobile reserve in the north to respond to any Russians crossing the border anywhere.

I expect after the war is over those who were passive collaborators will get amnesty. The Ukr government has warned people in captured territories that getting a Russian passport is treason, but there were those who complied but did nothing to help the Russians. Those who actively helped the Russians will probably be punished.

Mandela needed to offer amnesty because the whites in SA still had all the wealth. Getting them to work with the majority black population was going to go smoother than confiscating all the wealth and it was more of a win-win. The active collaborators in Ukr have little to offer the country.

Good to see you posting again, btw. I got a ban because investors didn't like me commenting. I put my focus on the UKR perspective where hope for the future seems so much deeper than russia.

You offer a great alternative POV and ask the more penetrating question: What happens now in russia. Clearly the USA is preparing to rearm Georgia. If anyone missed it that was included in the most recent $2 billion funding package for eastern europe NATO countries (excluded hungry I think) and Georgia and maybe Moldovia (can't remember). So I expect Russia to lose Armenia as a client state, the poor Armenians. I weep for them.

Georgia will attempt to retake territory and what better time. Russia is wiped out. UKR mercenaries will help them. I bet the win.

I don't think we've ever seen such a resource rich, infrastructure developed country disintegrate. Iran..maybe. Frankly the infrastructure in russia is giant compared to Iran in the 70s where it was mostly just a few oilfields and nothing anywhere else. SA did not collapse and I think offers some insight for both UKR and russia. Russia literally spews cash and the central banker there (i forget her name) is an obvious talent and has built a competent organization. There's hope in her powers if you are a russian.

The FSB is, seemingly, the power mover at the moment. The 1st tank army that led the coups in the 90s is gone, just disintegrated this past week and that was the best unit that should have been guarding Moscow. Between the FSB husbanding goons in Moscow and killing oligarchs all over the world I wonder that any general will lead a coup- will any oligarch help them? They'd need good friends. Such a team would have to perform a deep cleansing in Moscow. Does the FSB control any nukes? Do any nukes work? It's a real question, no nation has the same vast quantity of nukes as Russia.

Lloyd and others are openly discussing destroying russias ability to make war on others.

Will China consume the russia far east? Makes so much more sense for China than to confront USA.

No coherent answer to your question. Just ramblings

China has shown no interest in taking over and directly ruling non-Chinese people. They are out to economically rule the world. They will do Belt and Road in Siberia if Russia breaks up and will control the region economically, but it will be locals in charge.

The FSB does not control the nuclear arsenal. Russia, being paranoid, has more hoops to leap through to launch nukes. It is possible that an FSB official replaces Putin if he's ousted. The FSB is one of the more powerful organizations in Russia.

The army has degraded since the Soviet era. The paratroops who should have been the elite have proven themselves to be poorly trained and weak. The Guards units got that designation in WW II for units that performed well in the war, but those designations are ceremonial now. A Guard unit today is just as bad as any other unit in the army.

For Medvedev context we need to go back to 2008 when he became nominal President, while Putin kept the power as Prime Minister. He has always served as Putin's voice with injudicious comments or threats making it easier for Putin to deny or minimize whatever Medvedev says si it proves inconvenient. Just as Putin has 'food tasters' Medvedev is his 'political taster'.

What a nice world when Putin can make apocalyptic threats without himself actually needing to say anything at all. The quotation of Revelations 9.18 was such a threat of self destruction, a common technique of Medvedev (and Putin) to cloak the pronouncements in the protection of the Russian Orthodox cover so prized by Putin. No person should fail to understand the theocratic Russian-centric principles of the Putin regime.

This will strike fear in the thoughtful ones, lust for destruction in the demented minds of the 'faithful'.
The rational one will need to act very quickly if they will at all.
Well the russians have committed another violation of the geneva convention, attacking dams. It may flood the largest open pit coal mine in UKR and that would put most of the thermal plants into a bad spot, they don't have much local stockpile apparently.

Ben Hodges, (someone put up a nice video by him the other day) former head of US forces in Europe and involved in training UKR forces, has called for the us to start preparing for the end of Russia.

If Prigozhin is alive, is he cleaning house, or if he is not, who is cleaning house? There aren't really any known names on that list, yet.
Maganov, lukoil, was a pretty big wig. Supporters and detractors of putin have been killed. It's curious. Most are Gazprom executives. Did they fail to hook Europe enough? Not bribe enough people?

Or Putin needed to claw back some of his distributed personal assets.

There are stories about Putin being rich and he probably is fairly wealthy, but he's not motivated by the number of zeroes on his personal wealth, he's motivated by power. When you are a modern day Czar of Russia regular wealth is not significant.

The oligarchs who have had accidents are probably people who questioned Putin's war too much. Among the Russians in his inner circle many of the oligarchs understand the outside world the best and they have probably realized from the start what a monumental disaster this war is going to be. Even if the war had gone in Russia's favor the economic fallout was always going to be far more severe than anyone who only have an inside view of Russia could understand.

The destruction of this dam only temporarily impacts the UKR (and russian) ability to maneuver on the approach to Kherson. A bit of desperation tactic perhaps. Maybe designed to allow some local reallocation and positioning of troops. However, it seems more likely that it is part of an unbridled and criminal attack on civilian infrastructure and lives such as the recent attacks on thermal power plants. Many commentators seem to think this will lead to some escalation and counter attacks by UKR in russia.

It is interesting to read through warmonitors thread on USA contributions to UKR so far

The dam attack is a clear Geneva contravention imho. One of many.

More indirect evidence that Ukraine across Oskil, including at Borova

have you seen any reports on flooding in the mines downstream?

Hope I did that right, it's the very large open pit mine that could be flooded because of this.

Last edited:
Well the russians have committed another violation of the geneva convention, attacking dams. It may flood the largest open pit coal mine in UKR and that would put most of the thermal plants into a bad spot, they don't have much local stockpile apparently.
Ben Hodges, (someone put up a nice video by him the other day) former head of US forces in Europe and involved in training UKR forces, has called for the us to start preparing for the end of Russia.
This article explains some of the issues regarding the Geneva Conventions, including reference to the specific articles now being breached by Russian military forces:
the-geneva-conventions-how-russia-breaches-them-and-blames-ukraine-for-it-voxcheck-explains

Despite the clear violations in Afghanistan, Syria, Chechnya, and the present Ukraine conflict, Russia has almost totally avoided prosecution. Russia itself is not a signatory, although the USSR was. Russia never has had any compunction to avoid war crimes. Further there are numerous regular war events that have had clear violations by many countries, including the US.

Notwithstanding the laudable aims of all the Geneva Convention articles, and the Hague ones before those, in modern warfare civilians and civilian infrastructure are always damaged. It is rationally indisputable that the US Hiroshima and Nagasaki events and the UK and Allied firebombing of Dresden, for example also violated all rules of war.

Absolutely I am in no way condoning anything being now done by Russia. I am reluctant to be definitive in a one-sided view, principally because all sides in WWII and after have been regularly violating those agreements. The truth is a matter of degree and context, thus these systems really are not functional today, sad though that is.

FWIW: during the Vietnam war I was there. I carried a Geneva Convention mandated 'Certificate of Non-Combatant Identity' although my entire function was military logistics support. Was that legal? Had I been captured I am confident that document would have had no significance. Close calls, several, but not captured. Therefore i did not know. In short, even those documents were misused by the USA, without question. Factually, I had no idea about the definitions until a couple of decades later.

In short, I abhor the Russian invasion and all it represents. Criticizing them on this basis is a 'pot and kettle' case for anyone who ever participated in modern war. Once genuine civilians, whatever that means, are legitimate acusers.

All that said, I would be thrilled were Hodges to be proven correct!

Xi and Putin hold first meeting since Ukraine invasion began

Putin said he supports Chinese claims on Taiwan, Xi said nothing about Ukraine.
"China released a statement after the meeting noting that it was "ready to work with Russia in extending strong support to each other on issues concerning their respective core interests," per the Times."

Reactions: unk45 and iPlug
Only people saying that the various open and deep coal and iron mines/stocks/etc will flood; none that they have flooded. I have seen images of bridges being adversely affected downstream and in one case washed away. @Artful Dodger is saying it is a run-of-river dam but I really have not had a chance to pay attention.

"China released a statement after the meeting noting that it was "ready to work with Russia in extending strong support to each other on issues concerning their respective core interests," per the Times."
Tables have turned over the decades re: Russia/China. Xi needs nothing from Putin, but will happily take their discounted fossils.

Must feel small and increasingly smaller to be Putin's Russia, not just compared to China, but compared to the rest of the world. Death of empires...

Like I said, China is just sending over thoughts and prayers. They have zero intentions for any international conflict like Russia with Ukraine. Plus Russia will turn Taiwan into a wasteland because that's just their style....not the type of "help" China is looking for....

Hope I did that right, it's the very large open pit mine that could be flooded because of this.
Everyone keeps talking about the wrong dams. It's not the Kremenchuk up in central Ukraine or the Kakhovka down on the Dnipro River near Kherson. This was the Karachun dam on the Inhulets River in Kryvyi Rih. It did have a large reservoir. You can see it on Google Maps and catch a glimpse of it at this end of this clip:

After flowing through parts of Kryvyi Rih, the Inhulets continues past a large quarry then into farmlands and small towns until it flows into the Dnipro a few miles upstream of Kherson.