Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's finally coming to a head. Even with the unrecognized annexation of occupied territory Russia says it's theirs and they will defend 'their land' with nuclear force. I'm thinking Biden can only blink, back down with added sanctions, and turn this into the long game.

I can't see the US or UN retaliating with catastrophic consequences after Putin's use of a nuclear bomb since he can always launch another one and then another one...
Dark Brandon don't blink. Dark Brandon sends HIMARS.

I can think of at least one:
Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly enough. Lenin wanted to export Communism globally, fulfilling Marx/Engels visions. He did not advocate "Russian" domination but did advocate Communism with the USSR as the prime model.

Putin, on the other hand, is explicitly seeking Russian control and domination of every place Russia ever controlled, including Alaska and parts as far south as Fort Ross (they DID build it) and parts of Sonoma and Mendocino counties of California. That is a huge difference form anything the USSR was about, which was global Communist control, not Russian.

Sorry @Artful Dodger , on this one I was correct. At least Lenin was Russian, unlike so many USSR leading lights.

If this continues into the winter, there might not be a Russia?

Can anyone tell me what is Russian's gain from sabotaging their own only bargaining chip? Wouldn't it benefit Ukraine the most if the pipeline is completely destroyed? Then the West can support them indefinitely without worrying about gas as a bargaining tool....

I don't know, that's my take...strategically them pipelines got to go to weaken Russia more than to strengthen since it's one of their most valuable cash cows from the EU.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVCollies
Can anyone tell me what is Russian's gain from sabotaging their own only bargaining chip? Wouldn't it benefit Ukraine the most if the pipeline is completely destroyed? Then the West can support them indefinitely without worrying about gas as a bargaining tool....

I don't know, that's my take...strategically them pipelines got to go to weaken Russia more than to strengthen since it's one of their most valuable cash cows from the EU.
See Russia/Ukraine conflict

Thorough list as petit_bateau linked.

Would also add that it imposes costs to Europe/West that are not there with simply pressing the "off-button". Europe and Russia both know Russia will not be welcome in the foreseeable future as an energy supplier in any way that could cause blackmail.

But an energy infrastructure attack now means Europeans need to spend more money and human resources protecting their own domestic energy infrastructure. Nordic area nations have already mentioned they are doing this as a result.

Last edited:

Pretty sure it's a game of chicken.

Not sure that's going to end very well for Russia.

It hurts Europe now, but those of us environmentally conscious see the silver lining of the EU moving to renewables much faster because of this (as long as another player doesn't step up with lots of cheap gas).

I saw the tweet below from Kamil Galeev earlier today and it disturbed me. Seeing your post, unfortunately is reinforcing of both messages. I would really appreciate the views of the posters here as you all have great insights. Would that we could find a way forward to prevent this that does not involve any appeasement; that is a non-starter, as it will just enable further bullying.

See my other reply. START inspections would have VERY quickly picked up poor maintenance of anything related to nuclear material and weapons readiness.

This entire premise you are working from is simply not correct.

The inspections don't check to see if the weapons would work, they just do a tally of weapons at a location and verify the counts. Delayed maintenance on a nuclear weapon has all its impact inside: electronics degrade, fissionable material degrades to below critical mass, and tritium containers leak their tritium through the walls. All things that can only be verified by taking the warhead apart and most things require a lab to verify.

While at Izium the UKR was not able to close the pocket they are working very hard to close it at Lyman.

Stand firm orders in a hopeless defense ends up being a boom to the side on offense.

Ah yes, Cognitive Dissonance

Together with conformity:

My partner is about the most resistant person in the world to conformity. When she was studying Psychology they reproduced the Milgram Experiment (which was not as well known then)
Milgram experiment - Wikipedia

She flat out refused to participate even when threatened with failing the entire course. A few others resisted after a couple of rounds, but almost all did what they were told. She's so resistive to doing anything opposed to her internal ethical compass she can't get her mind around why anyone would participate, but she's accepts it intellectually as one of those things domesticated primates do.

I saw the tweet below from Kamil Galeev earlier today and it disturbed me. Seeing your post, unfortunately is reinforcing of both messages. I would really appreciate the views of the posters here as you all have great insights. Would that we could find a way forward to prevent this that does not involve any appeasement; that is a non-starter, as it will just enable further bullying.

I think we're even past appeasement. Russia is going to do what they're going to do and the world has to decide how to respond.

Can anyone tell me what is Russian's gain from sabotaging their own only bargaining chip? Wouldn't it benefit Ukraine the most if the pipeline is completely destroyed? Then the West can support them indefinitely without worrying about gas as a bargaining tool...
Pipeline company employee here. My guess is so that Gazprom can declare force majeure. This sets up the Russians/Gazprom in a more favorable legal position related to denying service. In North America, a customer who has contracted for pipeline transportation capacity under a take-or-pay contract may still be on the hook to pay the pipeline under force majeure, even in the event the pipeline is totally shut in. I’m assuming something similar exists in the Nordstrom’s contracts. Self sabotage is obviously an extra wrinkle but we know how the Russians will respond to those allegations.

I think we're even past appeasement. Russia is going to do what they're going to do and the world has to decide how to respond.
So, you think there is no move that can be made to deter Russia from using tactical nuclear weapons. And I excluded appeasement as noted in my post. That is a non-starter. Not that I have any say in it, but even at the risk of where I live being at risk through rounds of escalation, we have to stand firm and defeat them. The level of evil is too great. I don’t use that word lightly.

Think it thru folks. The minute Russia deploys a nuclear weapon, the repercussions turn them into an even more impoverished North Korea.

All major economies would be forced into a oil import ban, and their economy becomes nothing. Instant complete brain drain. Chaos overnight. You wouldn't even need to attack them.

3-12 years from now when the oil & gas market capitulates to permanent decline(like coal), they would simply disintegrate into nothingness.

Hell, that already may be their exact future as of today. It's just masked by this last great global blob of oil & gas profits.