Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This image is from a recently smuggled video of the Russian assault on Bakhmut:

world-war-z-2013-stills.jpg

Soviet-style. It's what they know. Criminal actions taken by unaccountable leadership; eventually something has to go. I hope its those leaders.
Mod: The name of the photo file says it's a still from the 2013 movie World War Z. If you are posting deliberate misinformation you might be in serious trouble. Please explain. --ggr

Mod: The name of the photo file says it's a still from the 2013 movie World War Z. If you are posting deliberate misinformation you might be in serious trouble. Please explain. --ggr

If you follow the video link I included, it takes you to the exact source of the image on Youtube. The image is hosted on Youtube as the video thumbnail. Nothing is hidden.

What "serious trouble" do you have to offer compared to the 950 Russians who lost their lives today assaulting a prepared defensive area into an artillery kill zone? If you want me to leave, just say so, I'm happy to oblige. Say the word.

I thought it could not be more clear that it was an artistic expression at the futility of the attacks on Bakhmut and other positions. A situation where Putin and his PMC cronies have been willing to throw hundreds of thousands of lives away, to commit untold human rights violations. I felt it was an appropriate post and a necessary post, people need to consider the loss here. Kids, fathers, sons all going to certain death. Have you seen the terrible climb in russian casualties? Have you fought in a war? Have you ever experienced an assault rifle firing...for the terrible purpose it was intended...for days. I have. These soldiers are dying for no reason..literally none. Forgetting all the claims of the righteousness of one position or the other the russian "soldiering" & political leadership is criminally negligent.

Mr Artful Dodger and I don't always agree on everything but I thought it was a fine posts and made me shudder a bit....the intended point I believe. If a discussion on war becomes too analytical...and not enough awareness of the horror than we lose our humanity. What dregs we posses.

He's well aware of the horrible potential of war having served at a high level.

Today another 650 soldiers KIA on the russian side. In the last week we have 3000 dead. Dead. This is what happens when you throw completely untrained people into real war against a well trained advisory when they have no supplies and no will to fight. Artful is absolutely correct that accountability must be addressed.

I wouldn't consider China the top priority, start with low hanging fruits first. If they have ongoing wars with someone, then those would be a priority. A smart move would be to join a mutual alliance with china on the issue.

Right now the world has one active cross border war
Countries Currently at War 2022

In the modern world cross border wars are rare. Some rivals like India and Pakistan have relatively small border skirmishes from time to time. India had one with China in the last couple of years. And we there was the Azerbaijan/Armenia border conflict a few weeks ago.

Peacekeepers are on the ground in a number of countries around the world right now.

There are lots of countries with dictators. When you try to define a dictator, you get shades of gray instead of clear cut lines. I've also talked about dictators who are content to abuse their own people, but leave their neighbors alone vs expansionist dictators. The world community tends to want to take down expansionist dictators, but tend to leave the isolationists alone. The isolationists are far more common. Probably close to half the world's countries, depending on your definition.

The problem is we treat such countries as autonomous countries. If the new rule would be that authoritarian leaders are internationally wanted fugitives "wanted dead or alive" with huge prize money on their heads, things would start to change. Such status would be issued by some UN supreme court (similar to human rights court, but according to new rules that "authoritarians" are illegal). Anways, nobody said it would be easy, but for sure better (and easier) than trying to escape humanity to Mars where such laws can be established on the get-go. Authoritarians would be faced with a choice: give up your power or face the cosequences.

Many would think this in itself was authoritarian. And even the US doesn't have the forces to occupy half the countries in the world for the crime of having a dictator as a leader.

Nobody is talking about transporting all of humanity to Mars. The idea of a Mars colony is a back up for humanity if something happens on this planet. A stellar event like an asteroid trackers miss until its too late or another Siberian Traps event could kill all life on Earth.

But setting up a self supporting colony on Mars would be much easier than creating the world police you're talking about and have them spread bloodshed around the world capturing leaders it doesn't like. Even if you just limit yourself to the non-nuclear powers some of them with leaders pretty far over on the authoritarian scale could put up a pretty strong fight if invaded.

I thought it could not be more clear that it was an artistic expression at the futility of the attacks on Bakhmut and other positions. A situation where Putin and his PMC cronies have been willing to throw hundreds of thousands of lives away, to commit untold human rights violations. I felt it was an appropriate post and a necessary post, people need to consider the loss here. Kids, fathers, sons all going to certain death. Have you seen the terrible climb in russian casualties? Have you fought in a war? Have you ever experienced an assault rifle firing...for the terrible purpose it was intended...for days. I have. These soldiers are dying for no reason..literally none. Forgetting all the claims of the righteousness of one position or the other the russian "soldiering" & political leadership is criminally negligent.

Mr Artful Dodger and I don't always agree on everything but I thought it was a fine posts and made me shudder a bit....the intended point I believe. If a discussion on war becomes too analytical...and not enough awareness of the horror than we lose our humanity. What dregs we posses.

He's well aware of the horrible potential of war having served at a high level.

Today another 650 soldiers KIA on the russian side. In the last week we have 3000 dead. Dead. This is what happens when you throw completely untrained people into real war against a well trained advisory when they have no supplies and no will to fight. Artful is absolutely correct that accountability must be addressed.

For Russia as a whole, or the leaders who contributed to this mess, I feel no sympathy for getting their collective behinds handed to them. However, I feel for the poor schmucks caught in the middle.

As far as accountability, might may not make right, but it does provide insulation. Putin and other war criminals may pay for this, but chances are many will not. It's the way these things work. The world is not going to risk nuclear war to go and capture Putin and put him on trial. The political will is not there in any country, nor is it practical. Even if Russia had no nuke, the sheer size of the country makes invading the place a daunting task.

If you follow the video link I included, it takes you to the exact source of the image on Youtube. The image is hosted on Youtube as the video thumbnail. Nothing is hidden.

What "serious trouble" do you have to offer compared to the 950 Russians who lost their lives today assaulting a prepared defensive area into an artillery kill zone? If you want me to leave, just say so, I'm happy to oblige. Say the word.
I sensed no disinformation, easily clicked on image.

For those of you with an interest in railwau gauges in and out of Ukraine. Two competing pathways to resolving things. But could be both not just one.

or

Many would think this in itself was authoritarian.

Rule of law pretty much is authoritarian, it's called "the authorities". We simply need to put te bar high enough nobody wants to become authoritarian themselves. The grey areas can be figured out like in the sandy hook trial, no amount of spin will actualy change black to white or white to black.

The West and “neutral” countries need to step up with donations for Ukrainian power grid repair such as transformers of all sizes and utility scale portable generators, as part of civilian humanitarian relief.

Unfortunately, most countries/public utilities are probably not sitting on several years worth of such supplies and most large grid equipment is made to order – slowly. Some jerry-rigging is needed as Ukraine is mostly using Russia type equipment, but Ukrainians are very resourceful and adaptable. Might as well start rebuilding the grid where possible with western equipment now.

In the meantime, Ukraine will need to grow further layers and density of its defensive shield against missiles and drones.

Putin’s civilian terror attacks here is another example of his many foolish mistakes -it enhances Ukrainian resolve and connects them more deeply to the west/Europe who will not back down.

Megapacks might help, but according to the Ukrainian utility DTEK, the main issues seem to be (broken) transmission/transforming equipment and insufficient generation.

Need to knock out Russia's military capability to strike these targets first. Otherwise, they will just hit this stuff after it gets installed.

Need to knock out Russia's military capability to strike these targets first. Otherwise, they will just hit this stuff after it gets installed.
Agree, but like last night Russia was reported to have fired 50 cruise missiles* from the north coast of the Caspian Sea and from Rostov Oblast.

That gets us back to our discussions about the West (not) supplying weapons that can reach that far with potential escalation consequences.

Maybe time to rethink this and find more creative work-arounds.

*reportedly 44 were downed by the Ukrainian Air Force