Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best thing for Ukraine to do is change the gauge to the European gauge. All the former Soviet Republics should change gauge. It would make any future military actions by Russia much more difficult.
Ukraine has more urgent things to do these days than changing their railway gauge. If Poland could dual-gauge a track and sidings to Gdansk, that would be helpful, but with a price tag and would involve some time.

Railroading is my profession. Changing rail gauge is a big task. From what I have seen on the internet (I have never been to Europe, let a alone Ukraine) most of Ukraine's railroad utilizes concrete railroad ties (sleepers). Therefore you will need to completely change all of the ties to change the railroad gauge. With wood ties, you could at least in theory just un-spike one rail, adze the new tie plate seat area, then spike it back together at the new gauge. So not a quick and easy project for Ukraine.

Can't you just mill it in by driving along the rail with a machine tha re-gauges (mills, drills, anchors, everything needed)? Anyways, the amount of rebuilding they have ahead, they can do this. The first thing they maybe should do is remove all rails leading to russia ;)

It seems Poland has been reviving or planning to revive some stretches of broad gauge track to facilitate trade with Ukraine for several years now. I believe broad gauge is the predominant rail gauge in Estonia and Finland and possibly still common in other former Eastern block nations.

1667368659132.png

Ukraine has more urgent things to do these days than changing their railway gauge. If Poland could dual-gauge a track and sidings to Gdansk, that would be helpful, but with a price tag and would involve some time.

Considering how much it's going to cost to put the country back together again, if there is enough money, it may be somewhat inexpensive to regauge the rail system while they are rebuilding something else.

Good to hear further perspectives. The Economist recently ran a story and noted part of the problem is equipment compatibility. They noted most of the step-down transformers Ukraine uses are old Soviet five-step systems and that transformers are built to handle specific voltages - those built for western European systems cannot be drop in replacements for older Ukrainian ones.

Makes sense if a whole rebuild is in order - the Economist point may be a moot one.

They also noted that European switches use a different type of insulating gas from Soviet ones, but mention that could still be substituted.
It is not just the transformers. In any case the key transformers are the main power transformers and associated CT and VT transformers and bushings in the vicinity of the gensets themselves and the mainswitchgear yards.. That is most of what you see being targetted. Those things in the pictures are mostly oil-insulated not gas-insulated. The gas-insulated stuff is less common and not in these places. Almost all of these things are made to order albeit from a catalogue of standard reference designs where you pretty much just tick the voltage boxes required in the order pick list. I recognise many of the individual items in the pictures as having started out in my/our factory one way or another .... even if they end up with different badges and shapes on the outside .... . Even so often the Russian kit is generally a clone of (specifically) the Siemens kit, in much the same way that a lot of Chinese kit also is though they have also based off of GE or Arteche or Trench or ABB or (etc) and in fact China is in many ways now the world leader in this stuff. Ukraine rebuild will maybe be using oil-insulated or resin-insulated, but is extremely unlikely to be gas insulated. There will be a significant chokepoint for all this stuff in the rebuild, plus of course the associated compressors, turbines, generators, switches, reactors, etc.

None of this stuff is the substations. Anyone talking about about substations is clueless.

I'm tossing this one into the "wishful thinking" bucket.

Pancreatic cancer is as bad as it gets, with an average survival rate of 5-7% (and there really is no difference in Western and Eastern here - it's equally BAD). If he had this at the beginning of the war, odds are he would already be dead.

Parkinsons, he probably would not have been able to hide the trembling on TV long enough.

Is there finally starting to be some protests in Russia that could have an impact?...

Credit goes to (in Swedish):

Allegedly (but seems credible):

Also 'through' Cornucopia (in Swedish):

Unhappy Krivak

Unhappy Nordstream

Looks like somebody set off a pretty good sized explosion on the sea bed. Definitely a state actor.

Allegedly (but seems credible):

Also 'through' Cornucopia (in Swedish):

I saw the ChrisO thread. There are enough of these stories combined with some Russian POWs telling the world the same thing. The Russian army is starving and freezing. It appears some units are well equipped, but a large number of Russian troops have nothing.

I've been watching Russian losses the last few days. They started going up sharply on October 28 and they have remained high. Not just personnel, but combat vehicles too.
https://www.mil.gov.ua/en/

The combat losses are under the heading "The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to ,,," They give the losses for that day under the heading. (The dates are in the European standard of day then month.)

Another look at the data
Tracking Russia's losses in Ukraine

Something big is going on that is currently not being reported. It's possible that the Russians are throwing their newly mobilized troops at the Ukrainians in WW 1 style attacks that are getting them all killed, or the Ukrainians may be doing something that is causing more casualties. The high losses are notable though. Even if Ukraine is exaggerating, if the losses are high the Russians are not going to be able to sustain them for very long.

Stories have been coming out that the Russians have sent about 100K of the newly mobilized troops to Ukraine, but about 200K remain in Russia and it appears they can't do anything with them because they lack the equipment to give them, even basics like rifles.

There are stories about unrest among mobilized soldiers. This is a pattern similar to the collapse of things in 1917. The Russian Revolution started with soldiers rebelling.