Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are no kind of monopoly at all. There are countless ways to post information and no one is dependent upon a few sites. I've never had a facebook account and haven't even bothered to look at it for years.
It’s not about way to post - it’s about reaching large number of audience.

It’s quite pathetic that YouTube and FB didn’t want to ”interfere” during Myanmar genocide but are only too willing now to censor.

During Iraq war they would have censored the few of us who were against the war. May be banned France ?

Reactions: jerry33
It’s not about way to post - it’s about reaching large number of audience.

It’s quite pathetic that YouTube and FB didn’t want to ”interfere” during Myanmar genocide but are only too willing now to censor.

During Iraq war they would have censored the few of us who were against the war. May be banned France ?
There will always be an imperfect balancing act between free speech and curtailing blatant misinformation.

Reactions: madodel
Depends on the distance. You have to factor in human reaction time on both ends of the information as well. How far does it travel between initial observation, physical data entry, reception of data, and implementation of effective action?
Depends on the distance ahead. FWIW, seismic waves travel at around 6 km/s through the crust of the Earth while the speed of sound in air is only about 0.3-0.4 km/s. If the Russians were to try to attack Kyiv with a supersonic aircraft from the Belarus border, they'd have to traverse 80 km worth of terrain and that would take about 3-4 minutes. That's definitely enough time to get the anti-aircraft guns ready. Might even be long enough to scramble a few fighter jets into the air to try to intercept and shoot it down (or at least keep it occupied with trying to evade fire instead of bombing the city), especially from bases south of Kyiv.

There will always be an imperfect balancing act between free speech and curtailing blatant misinformation.

But apparently the balance depends on the skin color of victims.

There is absolutely no way of knowing what is misinformation and is not in the fog of war.

You have to have principles and standards and stick to those.

You can’t suddenly change from not allowing bomb making videos to allowing them based on who your government supports. Otherwise there is no difference between RT and YouTube.

But apparently the balance depends on the skin color of victims.
Also the actual impact to the world. Myanmar was never going to lead to WW3, the current conflict certainly could, and even if not the impacts are obviously much larger. Horrible things happen every minute all over the world, we only know about it if it impacts each of us individually in some way. Someone we don't know is being murdered right now, we'll never know about it, and it will never impact our lives. That's reality.

Near what target? What if they change direction?
Most of the warnings should go in the direction of propagation of the sonic boom. Targets off to the sides would be warned as well, in case the plane changes direction, but I would find it unlikely that they'd change direction unless they were specifically trying to avoid a base or a collection of anti-aircraft guns. And these scenarios would probably be planned out well in advance.

No, you are just flat out wrong.

The Su-57 is a CONFIRMED stealth fighter that can do Mach 2 without engaging it's afterburners. This fighter was specifically designed as a response to the F-22 (which had demonstrated this capability for over 15 years before the Su-57).

It has afterburners to go faster than Mach 2, just like the F-22, but both planes are "supercruise" capable.

Simple as that.

EDIT - did you even read the article you linked? It even states I'm correct:
"According to Russian sources, though the AL-41F1 provides enough thrust for sustained supersonic cruise capability, it does not meet the Russian Aerospace Forces’ requirements for thrust-to-weight ratio or fuel efficiency."

You posted a link to the Wikipedia article for the Su-57 and a link to howstuffworks. Neither have the above quote.

The Wikipedia article quotes:
"Performance
  • Maximum speed:Mach 2 (2,135 km/h; 1,327 mph) at altitude
    • Mach 1.3 (1,400 km/h; 870 mph) supercruise at altitude"

The Indians declined to buy the Su-57 stating among other things they had serious doubts about Russia's claim for the supercruise capabilities. The Russian military has a long history of claiming much better performance for their weapons than what happens in reality. They also overcome limitations in their own technology with novel, but very compromised solutions. Do some reading on the Mig-25 for some examples.

One area where the Russians have always trailed the US and UK is metallurgy. They were still behind when the USSR fell apart and their R&D budgets have been much smaller the last 30 years. As I said in my post you declared "wrong", I am skeptical of any Russian claims for their military equipment until they have been evaluated by a reliable third party.

As soon as you start hanging stores on the outside of all these aircraft they struggle to go supersonic at low level, and to the extent that they can their fuel consumption goes up (especially in the transonic region). Also the external stores themselves, whether tanks or munitions or targetting pods or whatever are often not stressed to high speeds at low level.

The Su-34 is entirely external stores, no internal bays.

The internal carriage on the F22/F35 are for smaller stores (aka 'day 1' stores) and these are always smart weapons. The Russians will have very little that is equivalent in their inventory. For practical purposes the reports of the Russians using their more advanced aircraft indicates that they are short of platforms and people. Since the Ukraine shot down another Su-34 yesterday I guess the attrition continues.

Yes, I understand and agree with all of that. The kerfuffle with bkp_duke has been going on a few years now. He seems to think I'm a complete idiot and tries to prove it at every turn. Or at least that's my impression. The most recent exchange comes from a misunderstanding of what I said.

I know my explanations aren't always completely clear, but a request for clarification is usually more productive than attacking me for what a person thinks I said. Anyway, it's just an annoyance...

I was not talking about anybody going at supersonic speeds at low altitude. That burns a lot of fuel and is rarely done by any aircraft.

The deployment of the Su-57 into the fight is a bit perplexing. They might have some special targets in mind, it might just be a deployment to test out the new plane in a combat environment, or they might be desperate. None quite fit. An operational test deployment in a war where losses are high is kind of foolish. They risk the tech in their newest plane falling into enemy hands. Almost certainly not a complete airframe, but the boffins can figure out a lot from debris. My partner's father was one of these for the USAAF in WW II.

Ukrainian air defence shots down another Russian Su-34

Like the F22/F35 the Su-57 also has internal bays. I guess we watch to see whether they are dropping dumb bombs out of them, or smart munitions. When they were deployed to Syria they perhaps only launched one munition (a cruise missile). It can only supercruise at high level.

Zelensky says Ukraine has now suffered ~1300 miltary casualties as of Saturday, so that brings the exchange ratio to more like 10:1

If you add up all the Russian vehicles/aircraft/etc that Ukraine claims to have destroyed it sums to approx ~2500 and then divide that into the number of Russian troops claimed killed ~12,000 that suggests approx 5-KIA per platform. That is within the realms of possibility.

Those Russian columns are getting awful close to linking up ....

This article is proving to be very prescient:
Feeding the Bear: A Closer Look at Russian Army Logistics and the Fait Accompli - War on the Rocks

The author makes the case that the Russians really can't advance any further than about 90 miles from their rail heads. They just don't have enough trucks. It's notable that the furthest advance into Ukraine has been about 90 miles from the border.

But the Russians are trying their best to surround Kyiv. They are going to have a tough fight to do it.

Don’t worry - soon people are going to point out blatant double standards. You are going to hear a lot about Yemen and Palestine.
Good, I certainly hope so, but I already heard about it because I bother to look for information. The majority don't and never will. People can only take in a limited amount of information and will focus on what affects them directly. I'm lucky in that I have a very inquisitive mind, (maybe obsessive), I live in the US, and am incredibly wealthy by most standards which allows me free time to investigate. How much attention do you think the average Joe and Jane will pay attention to Yemen and Palestine no matter how much exposure they get? The Ukraine war is hitting them in the pocket book.