Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my 0.02, I'm not West Point trained, or anything really except coming from a military family.

Ukraine needs to mount a counter-offensive before the capital is encircled. Russia has telegraphed their plays, they intend to encircle and then heavily bombard the city (which, I know is huge in terms of land area).

It seems it would be prudent to degrade those Russian columns before they become entrenched. Normally air power would be great for this, but Ukraine may not have the capability to do this. Degrading those troops would probably save a lot of lives, and make the counter-offensive a lot easier long-term.

Last edited:
2022 Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Forbes Ukraine estimated the value of Russia's destroyed equipment — 2,593 units — since the start of the war with Ukraine at more than US $5.1 billion. Among the destroyed equipment are 58 aircraft, 83 helicopters, 363 tanks and 1,205 armored combat vehicles, but does not include missiles fired into Ukraine or equipment seized by Ukrainian forces.​

I'd have thought the value of the destruction of Putin's military losses would be higher a higher value.

HA HA HA HA . . . NO on both counts.

1) quote from Wikipedia above (and it has the link in the sources):
" The aerodynamics and engines enable it to achieve speeds of Mach 2 and fly supersonic without afterburners (supercruise) giving a significant kinematic advantage and extends the effective range of missiles and bombs over previous generations of aircraft."

2) You really don't understand how supersonic aircraft work, do you? The speed of sound is relatively fixed in air (it does travel slower as the air gets thinner). When you BREAK the sound barrier, your sonic boom is literally travelling BEHIND you as you are flying. The sound doesn't somehow get magically FASTER and go ahead of you at Mach 3 (since you are going Mach 2).

"It is just like being on the shore of a smooth lake when a boat speeds past. There is no disturbance in the water as the boat comes by, but eventually a large wave from the wake rolls onto shore. When a plane flies past at supersonic speeds the exact same thing happens, but instead of the large wake wave, you get a sonic boom."
The speed of causality (i.e. the speed at which information can travel in our universe) is way faster than the speed of sound. The speed of causality is 299,792,458 m/s which is also the speed of light. So after people hear the boom (or microphones that have been setup to listen for sonic booms hear it), an alert can easily be sent out to everyone who is in the general direction that the boom is propagating. Since information travels WAY faster than sound (and the aircraft), people can get the alert in plenty of time to react to it. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up a system that does something like this. We already have a similar system that detects other types of waves and automatically alerts people to their presence: ShakeAlert® | Earthquake Early Warning

This appears to be legitimate, notwithstanding it is being reported by a well known liberal news letter. I can’t translate the Russian, but certain words are obvious. According to the article, the Kremlin meno also details other claims to be made - like sending wild birds that have been infected with virus into areas. Curious what others think.

Leaked Kremlin Memo to Russian Media: It Is “Essential” to Feature Tucker Carlson
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/exclusive-kremlin-putin-russia-ukraine-war-memo-tucker-carlson-fox/

This appears to be legitimate, notwithstanding it is being reported by a well known liberal news letter. I can’t translate the Russian, but certain words are obvious. According to the article, the Kremlin meno also details other claims to be made - like sending wild birds that have been infected with virus into areas. Curious what others think.

Leaked Kremlin Memo to Russian Media: It Is “Essential” to Feature Tucker Carlson
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/exclusive-kremlin-putin-russia-ukraine-war-memo-tucker-carlson-fox/

Yep, not surprising. Tucker Carlson says knuckleheaded things at times including Putin favorable viewpoints which may align with past viewpoints of POTUS 45.

The speed of causality (i.e. the speed at which information can travel in our universe) is way faster than the speed of sound. The speed of causality is 299,792,458 m/s which is also the speed of light. So after people hear the boom (or microphones that have been setup to listen for sonic booms hear it), an alert can easily be sent out to everyone who is in the general direction that the boom is propagating. Since information travels WAY faster than sound (and the aircraft), people can get the alert in plenty of time to react to it. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up a system that does something like this. We already have a similar system that detects other types of waves and automatically alerts people to their presence: ShakeAlert® | Earthquake Early Warning
The assertion was the plane didn't have supercruise capability, not that there might be a sensor net.

This is changing the goalposts of the argument to save face. I was simply pointing out the factual errors put forth.

This is changing the goalposts of the argument to save face.
It's pretty hard for me to change the goalposts if I wasn't even the one making the argument in the first place. I am merely pointing out that a sonic boom does not make an aircraft stealth because of the mere fact that you can't hear it until after it passes, because information can be sent forward much faster than the aircraft is traveling.

It's pretty hard for me to change the goalposts if I wasn't even the one making the argument in the first place. I am merely pointing out that a sonic boom does not make an aircraft stealth because of the mere fact that you can't hear it until after it passes, because information can be sent forward much faster than the aircraft is traveling.
Depends on the distance. You have to factor in human reaction time on both ends of the information as well. How far does it travel between initial observation, physical data entry, reception of data, and implementation of effective action?

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Actually no - they are kind of monopoly and need to be held to their standards and contract with the customers. Just as FB or Twitter …
They are no kind of monopoly at all. There are countless ways to post information and no one is dependent upon a few sites. I've never had a facebook account and haven't even bothered to look at it for years.