Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a report from a Russian soldier that there will be a ceasefire in 2-3 days and he will rotated out.
That is one unconfirmed source, but some supporting evidence.

This is in line with:-
Russia probably hopes to take Mariupol before the ceasefire starts, and hopes to refresh troops and replenish supplies.

Ukraine needs to be careful about the terms of the ceasefire, but can use it to bring valuable weapons and supplies into Kyiv and get civilians out of a few tricky situations.

Russia obviously intends to replace starving poorly trained conscripts with foreign mercenaries which are expendable, that is because any attempt to take Kyiv will result in high casualties.

Many of those mercenaries may soon realise their best chance of leaving Ukraine alive is to surrender.

The best hope of negotiated deal is sanctions are starting to bite.

The death of foreign mercenaries in high numbers, will not concern everyday Russians..

You posted a link to the Wikipedia article for the Su-57 and a link to howstuffworks. Neither have the above quote.

Actually, Wiki did state it was supercruise capable. And your article did as well.

From Wiki (I already quoted this):
"The aerodynamics and engines enable it to achieve speeds of Mach 2 and fly supersonic without afterburners (supercruise) giving a significant kinematic advantage and extends the effective range of missiles and bombs over previous generations of aircraft."

THEN I QUOTED YOUR OWN ARTICLE, and you still ignored it. I'm done with this BS. Be an adult and admit you were wrong. You are nitpicking now try to get some semblance of "I was right" and saying I was interpreting your words incorrectly. You stated things as FACT which were blatantly wrong, and not true against FACTS. These were not statements of opinion regarding the Su-57.

I don't have a "personal" beef with you, you just don't like being called out when you state your personal opinion as "fact".

There was a report from a Russian soldier that there will be a ceasefire in 2-3 days and he will rotated out.

Russia probably hopes to take Mariupol before the ceasefire starts, and hopes to refresh troops and replenish supplies.

Ukraine needs to be careful about the terms of the ceasefire, but can use it to bring valuable weapons and supplies into Kyiv and get civilians out of a few tricky situations.

Russia obviously intends to replace starving poorly trained conscripts with foreign mercenaries which are expendable, that is because any attempt to take Kyiv will result in high casualties.

Many of those mercenaries may soon realise their best chance of leaving Ukraine alive is to surrender.

The death of foreign mercenaries in high numbers, will not concern everyday Russians..

Ukraine should "honor" the ceasefire just like Russia has in the past 2 weeks. /s

Re: Wikipedia. Don't take everything there as gospel. There are people who are seemingly paid to remove any edits on certain pages that don't follow their world view. I've made edits in the past in areas where I've had 100% knowledge of the topic - only to have my edits undone by people who have very little knowledge of it. So these days I often don't bother to try and make things correct.

Interesting analysis of China's position in this conflict, basically stating that there is only downside for China supporting Putin in anyway and the only rational move would be to support the west.

Very interesting, but it probably won't become Chinese policy.

The speed of causality (i.e. the speed at which information can travel in our universe) is way faster than the speed of sound. The speed of causality is 299,792,458 m/s which is also the speed of light. So after people hear the boom (or microphones that have been setup to listen for sonic booms hear it), an alert can easily be sent out to everyone who is in the general direction that the boom is propagating. Since information travels WAY faster than sound (and the aircraft), people can get the alert in plenty of time to react to it. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up a system that does something like this. We already have a similar system that detects other types of waves and automatically alerts people to their presence: ShakeAlert® | Earthquake Early Warning

This is pretty much what I was trying to convey originally. When using a stealth aircraft in short supply, you are using it to sneak up on a target and take it out before they are alerted to your presence. The last thing you want to do is broadcast to the enemy's defense network that you're up there with sonic booms. The target won't hear them until you're past, but the defenses between your base and the target will hear you.

The saying went with automotive speeders back in the 1960s who were trying to outrun police cars, "you can't outrun Motorola"

This appears to be legitimate, notwithstanding it is being reported by a well known liberal news letter. I can’t translate the Russian, but certain words are obvious. According to the article, the Kremlin meno also details other claims to be made - like sending wild birds that have been infected with virus into areas. Curious what others think.

Leaked Kremlin Memo to Russian Media: It Is “Essential” to Feature Tucker Carlson
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/exclusive-kremlin-putin-russia-ukraine-war-memo-tucker-carlson-fox/

It's basically laying out what their spin doctoring narrative is going to be. The Russian leadership probably doesn't believe any of it.

But apparently the balance depends on the skin color of victims.

There is absolutely no way of knowing what is misinformation and is not in the fog of war.

You have to have principles and standards and stick to those.

You can’t suddenly change from not allowing bomb making videos to allowing them based on who your government supports. Otherwise there is no difference between RT and YouTube.

The various companies tend to react to how much the public is reacting. The public reaction too the Ukraine war is very strong and those for Russia are very small. Additionally, the world tends to have a stronger reaction to cross border incursions than internal atrocities. Not saying it's right, but that's how it tends to go.

In the west (Europe and North America) unfortunately people seem to have a stronger reaction to white people getting hurt than non-white people. Again, it isn't right, but that's the way it happens.

So even though Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries are fighting a proxy war in Yemen against Iran, the mostly white parts of the world either don't know about it or don't care much, while white people in a European country getting attacked is a big deal.

We still have a ways to go on racism.

Just because they asked doesn't mean they are going to get them.

Actually, Wiki did state it was supercruise capable. And your article did as well.

From Wiki (I already quoted this):
"The aerodynamics and engines enable it to achieve speeds of Mach 2 and fly supersonic without afterburners (supercruise) giving a significant kinematic advantage and extends the effective range of missiles and bombs over previous generations of aircraft."

THEN I QUOTED YOUR OWN ARTICLE, and you still ignored it. I'm done with this BS. Be an adult and admit you were wrong. You are nitpicking now try to get some semblance of "I was right" and saying I was interpreting your words incorrectly. You stated things as FACT which were blatantly wrong, and not true against FACTS. These were not statements of opinion regarding the Su-57.

I don't have a "personal" beef with you, you just don't like being called out when you state your personal opinion as "fact".

You misunderstood the intent of my original post, which led down this rabbit hole.

Later I opined that while the Russians claim the Su-57 has supercruise, I am skeptical that it can perform as they claim because they have a history of lying about the military capabilities of their military equipment. I hold out the possibility that the Su-57 can supercruise for a sustained amount of time, but I will believe it when I see test results from some more reliable source than the Russian government that confirms it.

I'm happy to be done with this tangent.

Just sayin ... if all these foreign fighters leave their home territory in Chechnya, Syria - home territory might be easy picking for their rivals ...

• Helpful
Reactions: EVCollies and MC3OZ
I'm actually surprised that the US hasn't tried to send Russia a message with some hostile actions in Syria.

If it can be done well the Syrians definitely need some help, but

Many players in the conflict — including the U.S.-led anti-ISIS military coalition — ultimately would be accused of attacking civilian areas in Syria.

It may sound crazy, but the best chance of success is for all other parties to align and agree to fight Asad and the Russians only for now.

The presence of ISIS in Syria complicates things, but for now Asad and Russia are the greater evil.

Last edited:
I wonder where our aircraft carriers are currently parked . . .

No where near the conflict zone it appears.

This site also reports on the location of the carriers:
CV Locations

It has some differences, but it too is reporting no US carriers near the conflict zone in Ukraine. The closest is one carrier in the Aegean Sea. I did read about a year back that many of the US carriers went past their regular maintenance dates due to the conflicts in the Middle East and quite a few carriers needed downtime for major overhauls. The fleet is also down a carrier right now after the decommissioning of the Enterprise and the Ford hasn't finished work up for her first deployment yet, though that's close, probably within the next few months.

It is interesting the US carriers are well away from the conflict zone.

A positive development:-
https://twitter.com/i/events/1503171405071863810

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan will meet with China’s top diplomat, Yang Jiechi, in Rome on Monday. According to a statement by National Security Council spokesperson Emily Horne, the two sides will discuss "the impact of Russia’s war against Ukraine on regional and global security."