Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine watched his totaled Model X drive around Ukraine three months after it was totaled in a wreck in the US. He felt guilty invading in their privacy and deleted from his APP. They seem very skilled at repairing items.
Every other person in the Ukraine is not a lawyer the way it is here. Nor is the Ukraine a nanny state.

Reactions: X Fan and navguy12
This guy worked as a Senior Policy Advisor to Putin. Putin can not be trusted, though I think most here already know that.

‘I Worked With Putin: Here’s What You Don’t Know About Him’

The way things stand now, Russia is not very capable of attacking Europe. There are scenarios where they could attack Europe and get away with it. One is if the US pulls out of NATO and the alliance falls apart. The Baltic countries wouldn't stand a chance standing alone even against the degraded force Russia has today. They're just too small.

Poland could probably hurt the current Russian army pretty badly. Their military is big enough to put up a real fight, but it would end up looking like Ukraine does now.

Putin does want to put the Soviet Empire back together. He thinks any territory that Moscow once controlled still belongs to Russia, it's just that the people running those places don't realize it yet.

If Russia gets the fighting in Ukraine to stop and then goes the North Korea route, militarizing the entire country, they have the ability to rebuild their army. Qualitatively it won't be great, but they can build a lot of degraded T-90s and BMP-3s given the time to rearm. They can mobilize all males who aren't making weapons into the military and build up a force of 1-2 million men. With their experienced cadre of men and officers degraded as bad as it is now, the training of these men will be poor, but they can adopt tactics like the Chinese army of the 1950s. Chinese losses in Korea were staggering, but they pushed the UN troops back to what it the DMZ today.

It's unknown if the Russian people would put up with this. They have put up with the war so far, but cracks are showing. The North Koreans went along with it because they know nothing else. The current regime has been there since the late 1940s and the country was a vassal state of the Japanese before that. Japan took Korea in 1910. There is no living memory in North Korea of anything other than subjugation.

The people of Russia, especially the ethnic Russian parts (not so much the rural areas) have experienced connection with the west. They have tolerated the war thus far, but that could change if a new iron curtain comes down.

But a fortress Russia scenario is a possible scenario coming out of this war.

A Ukrainian sniper has taken the record for longest kill shot by a sniper at 3800 meters. The sniper rifle was a Ukrainian "Horizon's Lord" firing a 50 cal bullet from a hybrid cartridge. Very impressive. The bullet got there a long time before the bang.

Ukrainian intelligence get access to Rosaviatsia's secret data: Industry on verge of collapse

23.11.2023 10:34

[...] analysis shows that Russia's civil aviation sector is on the verge of collapse, the Ukrainian intelligence agency said. [...]

In January 2023, 185 air accidents were recorded in Russian civil aviation. About a third were qualified as incidents of various levels of danger. Russia’s Sukhoi Superjet short-haul aircraft became the leader here, with 34 problem cases recorded.

In the first nine months of 2023, 150 cases of aircraft malfunctions were documented in Russia. For the same period in 2022, only 50 such incidents were recorded. Therefore, the level of danger of flights in Russia has tripled, the HUR said. [...

More issues in Hungary

The bill’s publication comes days after the Hungarian government unveiled a controversial billboard campaign depicting the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, and Open Society Foundations chair, Alex Soros, with the slogan: “Let’s not dance to their tune.” The government is also mailing a questionnaire containing wide-ranging criticism of Brussels to all citizens.

In January 2023, 185 air accidents were recorded in Russian civil aviation. About a third were qualified as incidents of various levels of danger. Russia’s Sukhoi Superjet short-haul aircraft became the leader here, with 34 problem cases recorded.

In the first nine months of 2023, 150 cases of aircraft malfunctions were documented in Russia. For the same period in 2022, only 50 such incidents were recorded. Therefore, the level of danger of flights in Russia has tripled, the HUR said. [...

I'm curious whether the Russian Intelligence agency gets accurate and reasonably complete data

Just if someone is interested in reading more about Hungary, European Parliament and Russia connections (some Ukraine also), here's the European Press Investigative Reporting Award 2015 Nominee:

"During the EP election campaign this May, Béla Kovács, an influential background figure and financier of the extreme right Jobbik party in Hungary, was accused of being a Russian secret agent, aiming to forge a eurosceptical alliance within the European Parliament. Despite the allegations, Kovács got elected as a member of the EP. Unveiling the working methods of the KGB, the investigative story explores and documents the past of Kovács and his Russian wife back to 1979."

Anyone watched Lex Fridman’s interview of Mearsheimer ? He has a different view of the Ukrain war … and Putin.
I shared it in the Hamas thread. I was told he is something something... I agree with him on pretty much everything. However I don't think that he said that getting into this war has had some really good outcomes. The Russian threat is now much reduced.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Anyone watched Lex Fridman’s interview of Mearsheimer ? He has a different view of the Ukrain war … and Putin.

Mearsheimer has been one of the people who likes to blame the US for all the world's problems. He's on record blaming the US for the war in Ukraine. This sort of attitude completely ignores the wishes of the people in a country like Ukraine who want to be part of the west and not in the Russian orbit. NATO expanded eastward because it was either expand eastward or watch Eastern European countries make the own nuclear weapons.

To stay safe from Russia, countries close to Russia need to be under a nuclear umbrella. Either they make that themselves or tuck their heads under the US/UK/French umbrella. Not being under someone's nuclear umbrella allows Russia to mess with you which is what they did to Ukraine and why Finland and Sweden applied to join NATO shortly after the invasion.

Ukraine has the expertise, they could run their own nuclear program and become a regional nuclear power as an alternative to NATO membership. Nothing can possibly go wrong with that scenario...

So Mearsheimer doesn't think that Putin is a Military Dictator?

Is Mearsheimer ok with murdering some 100.000(?) human beings in Ukraine and sending some 325.000 Russian serfs to get slaughtered in 'an Imperial War of Conquest' while also completely leveling giant parts of Ukraine with millions of artillery rounds, cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, Iranian drones and bombs dropped from air planes? Are you ok with that?

Is Mearsheimer ok with murdering some 100.000(?) human beings in Ukraine and sending some 325.000 Russian serfs to get slaughtered in 'an Imperial War of Conquest' while also completely leveling giant parts of Ukraine with millions of artillery rounds, cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, Iranian drones and bombs dropped from air planes? Are you ok with that?
Did you watch ? I guess not.

His contention is that Putin is afraid of NATO and eastward expansion of NATO precipitated the war. In other words if NATO didn’t try to expand eastward (as promised) there would be no war.

Small countries always get crushed and suffer terribly when big powers play their chess games. Ukraine is no different. Afghanistan in the 80s or Vietnam in the 60s.

He didn't show very much compassion but I think that is a hazard of the job. His morals however seemed fine to me. I suggest you watch the video.