Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that Putin is trying to work this thru legal channels rather than simply doing what he pleases. Today feels like an out of the blue tactical nuke isn't going to happen at any point.

It looks to me like the Duma is so much in Putin's pocket that there is no real difference between 'legal channels' and 'what Vlad wants'.
From Institute for the Study of War yesterday:

The Kremlin rushed the passage of a new law through the State Duma on September 20, circumventing normal parliamentary procedures.[3] This law codifies dramatically increased penalties for desertion, refusing conscription orders, and insubordination. It also criminalizes voluntary surrender and makes surrender a crime punishable by ten years in prison.
It mostly looks to me like the only restraint on Putin is the fear of the people finally getting upset en masse. The legality stuff is Kabuki theater and post-hoc justifications.
I love the "criminalize surrender" - sure Vlad, that will fix your loss of Kharkiv. I'm a Russian soldier, no food, low on ammo, everyone around me fleeing or wounded, dodged shells the last 6 months, and I am more worried about a prison sentence (should I ever get back home) vs. laying down my gun and being alive tonight? Will the Russian soldiers in Ukraine even hear about this law before they are surrounded?

There was a discussion about Crimea being Russia's Florida. It's warm by Russian standards but the monthly temperature profile is closer to Seattle or Vancouver, BC than anywhere in Florida, though it's drier overall
Sevastopol Climate, Weather By Month, Average Temperature (Ukraine) - Weather Spark

Seattle Climate, Weather By Month, Average Temperature (Washington, United States) - Weather Spark
Vancouver Climate, Weather By Month, Average Temperature (Canada) - Weather Spark
Thought they meant more in a demographics way. No place in northern or eastern Europe had weather like Florida - all a bit too far from the equator

He talks about the 300k mobilization, that it will be badly trained conscripts with low morale and the logistics aspect is also questionable how they will be equipped and transported to the front.

Another topic in the video is the Russian money ($300 billion?) currently frozen in US that maybe transferred to Ukraine. He is against that proposal, because he believes the corruption in Ukraine would swallow most of that money and it would never achieve the proper purpose. He advocates to use it to build weapons / ammunition and send that to Ukraine rather than cash.

He talks about the 300k mobilization, that it will be badly trained conscripts with low morale and the logistics aspect is also questionable how they will be equipped and transported to the front.

Another topic in the video is the Russian money ($300 billion?) currently frozen in US that maybe transferred to Ukraine. He is against that proposal, because he believes the corruption in Ukraine would swallow most of that money and it would never achieve the proper purpose. He advocates to use it to build weapons / ammunition and send that to Ukraine rather than cash.

If the 300B is taken from Russian accounts, it should be used to immediately pay down debt they have already incurred (lend lease, etc.) or for more armaments. That would be the best possible way to avoid it being used for corruption.

…Realistically, it will be months before Mr Putin’s “partial mobilisation” makes a big difference in the field.
That gives Ukraine a window of opportunity. Its Western backers should step up the supply of arms, including longer-range missiles. The best nato weapons must not be used to attack Russia itself, but the parts of Ukraine that Russia is about to annex illegally should not be off-limits. The West should also train more Ukrainian soldiers. The country has plenty of highly motivated would-be defenders, but so far only Britain is offering basic training to large numbers. Other nato members should immediately pitch in, perhaps dividing the labour so that one ally focuses on air defence, another on artillery and so forth. The more of its land Ukraine can claw back before Russian reinforcements arrive, the stronger its position will be…

Vladimir Putin vows to send more invaders. The West should arm Ukraine faster

I like that Putin is trying to work this thru legal channels rather than simply doing what he pleases. Today feels like an out of the blue tactical nuke isn't going to happen at any point.

Putin does everything legally. In most cases he has the Duma to change the law to say what he wants. However the Russians have been paranoid enough about WMDs they have put in lots of safeguards to prevent a rogue actor from using them (Putin is paranoid about a rogue actor using them on him).

Additionally the US watches all Russian nuclear storage facilities and production facilities via satellite very closely. Russian nuclear forces have been completely on a peace tine footing with no hint they are preparing to use nuclear weapons.

The downwind situation from using a nuke would cause fallout across southern Asia ticking off a lot of countries he needs.

Having to put them down utilizing war-hardened Chechens or private mercinaries will likely also be unpopular.

I don't think Putin trusts the Chechens and the private forces are the only thing holding the front together. Pulling Wagner out of the line could lead to a Ukrainian breakthrough.

Putin has had riot police who are tasked with putting down protests. He sent a lot of them to Ukraine to keep order after his three day war. Many of them are dead now, burned up as infantry. To stop protests he only has local police. Once local police are overwhelmed there will be no way to put doen protests.

It looks to me like the Duma is so much in Putin's pocket that there is no real difference between 'legal channels' and 'what Vlad wants'.
From Institute for the Study of War yesterday:

It mostly looks to me like the only restraint on Putin is the fear of the people finally getting upset en masse. The legality stuff is Kabuki theater and post-hoc justifications.
I love the "criminalize surrender" - sure Vlad, that will fix your loss of Kharkiv. I'm a Russian soldier, no food, low on ammo, everyone around me fleeing or wounded, dodged shells the last 6 months, and I am more worried about a prison sentence (should I ever get back home) vs. laying down my gun and being alive tonight? Will the Russian soldiers in Ukraine even hear about this law before they are surrounded?

The Duma is basically chosen by Putin's people. They manipulate the vote to ensure Putin allies always win. They basically do Putin's bidding.

Putin is much more concerned about protests turning into an overthrow of his government.

Thought they meant more in a demographics way. No place in northern or eastern Europe had weather like Florida - all a bit too far from the equator

That's probably true, though there are over 2 million Crimeans between 18 and 60. There is a pool of young men to draw on.

Since the war began the government has been cracking down on corruption. Ukraine is a lot less corrupt today than it was a year ago. The war has accelerated a trend towards a stable and healthy democracy that has been ongoing since 2014. No country is 100% free of corruption, but that shouldn't be a major worry about Ukraine for a while at least.