Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think @Ogre was asking if many of these people were in prison because of trumped up charges or because they were political prisoners. There are real criminals in Russian prisons, but a lot of people don't deserve to be there.
My point is wrongly imprisoned people/political prisoners were not forced to fight in Ukraine.

There are innocent people in prison everywhere. There are people prosecuted for political reasons everywhere.

Is Russia much higher than average? Probably.

Reactions: navguy12
My point is wrongly imprisoned people/political prisoners were not forced to fight in Ukraine.

There are innocent people in prison everywhere. There are people prosecuted for political reasons everywhere.

Is Russia much higher than average? Probably.
I am sort of flabbergasted at your comment. Regarding your very first statement...HOW do you know? The russian criminal justice system is...corrupt beyond corrupt. Maybe not the worst in the world but prisoners get worked to death all the time in Russia. Did wrongfully convicted or persecuted go to Ukraine? Surely yes. Were they coerced into signing up with Wagner? Surely yes. Just as they are being coerced into going into the MOD prisoner units. Just as mobilized are forced to go to Ukraine after being lied to and beaten.

The numbers of prisoners is not changing just who is getting the prisoners. It used to be just Wagner was allowed to do this then the MOD experimented and now is doing at scale. They make lousy soldiers but they don't need good soldiers to be zombie meat.

From what we have read they were prisoner volunteers.

They volunteered in exchange for a pardon/freedom if they fought for 6 months in Ukraine.

When word got back to the prisons that almost no one actually got to 6 months and a pardon volunteers dried up. A handful of prisoners received a pardon. Probably because they paid a massive bribe. And did not actually fight in Ukraine.

It seems the Kremlin didn't try to force prisoners into soldiering in Ukraine. The results would probably have been much worse than actual results.
As @wdolson pointed out, Russian prisons have a lot of people stuffed in there for political rather than social reasons. Protesting against the government is punishable by prison time. Sit in a gulag for 20 years or go to war. Great choice.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
I think @Ogre was asking if many of these people were in prison because of trumped up charges or because they were political prisoners. There are real criminals in Russian prisons, but a lot of people don't deserve to be there.
I recently read an unpublished memoir written in the '90s by an uncle of mine. He was a Polish Jew about to start university when Germany invaded on September 1, 1939. He was inducted into the Polish Carpathian army to fight the Nazis. Captured by Russians a few weeks later, escaped from a POW train (narrowly avoiding Katyn, as he learned decades later), recaptured, and through a series of progressively nastier gulags ended up a prisoner in Kamchatka in the far, far east.

Eventually the Russians offered to free any POWs who would join the Red Army to fight Nazis. He volunteered and eventually ended up back in Ukraine driving a Russian tank. Wounded in the fighting. War ended while he was convalescing. Wild story. The earlier parts about his boyhood in Poland read true, so I'm guessing the war story stuff is as well, but I really have no idea. I met him when I was young, but knew nothing about any of this. Just another uncle from the old country who ended up in the US.

My uncle the mobik? Emphasizes that there's absolutely nothing new about Russian tactics. And it was even fighting in Ukraine back then.

some links of interest

I agree with the article. Back in WW II Russian air was very tied to supporting the ground forces. The most produced Russian aircraft of WW II was the Il-2 Sturmovik low level attack bomber. The air war on the Eastern Front was fought at much lower altitude than in the west where much of the fighting was around strategic bombers flying at the highest altitudes they could.

You build the force for the kind of war you expect to fight. Russia and the USSR had a defensive stance since WW II and they built a force for defending Russia/the USSR. Their supply system was primarily rail based because they have an extensive rail network that can get supply to frontlines within Russia fairly quickly and easily. They have the most militarized rail system in the world with an entire branch of the military dedicated to running and maintaining the rail network.

In the air they have always assumed they would be outclassed by their primary opponent: the US and/or NATO. So they built that branch mostly around defense or offense on their home territory. The premiere service in the air sector is ground based air defense where they have an advantage over the west in some ways. Both in numbers and in range. The bulk of their air power was built around supporting their ground troops taking back Russian territory lost to a western invasion.

To people in the west, this is a crazy notion, but looking from the outside, the US and other western countries have had some crazy leaders in the last couple of decades. The US did have a president who made up an excuse to invade Iraq and did so. The PNAC crowd who were prominent in his administration believed that since the US was the only super power left, it could do whatever it wanted militarily. Most of the developed world sees that as an aberration of long term policies. The Russians see that as the Americans saying the silent part out loud for a short while.

Then more recently the US had an attempted coup by a president who lost an election (possibly by people surrounding him, but we will find out soon, indictments will tell us a lot). This president was more of an isolationist than aggressively militaristic, but they fear someone taking over the US who is militaristic and has the ability and will to be an absolute dictator. Then they would be facing the same type of problem they faced in 1941 with a much better armed country, though further away.

The leadership of the UK has not been very good the last 15 years either. Though they haven't threatened Russia much.

So Russia built a military to defend against the next Hitler arising in the west. It wasn't built to operate outside of Russia very far. And their offensive incursions before 2014 were either fairly small or did not turn out well (like Afghanistan in the 1980s).

In defending Russian home territory their air power probably would be able to do a better job, but they are being asked to do a job they weren't designed to do. Similarly NATO doesn't have that much ground based air defense to give Ukraine because they didn't build a force for a war with little air power available.

Permission plus the launch codes.

I suspect it's true today, but in the Soviet era there were more steps to launch a nuclear weapon in the USSR than in the US. The Soviets were always paranoid someone would use one of their nukes on the Kremlin.

Are launch codes required for tactical nukes?

They do require a code to unlock them.

Well, this is a bad look:

I first saw this in the NYT so I tried to find other coverage that's not pay-walled. This site that covers MMA (mixed martial arts) would not be my first choice but all the other sources on Google's first page of news results for "Denis Kapustin" talk about the incursion but not the neo-nazi connection.

This site seems, at best, agnostic about the neo-nazi connection. They also incorrectly reported that the US is struggling to explain Russia's obviously faked Humvee wrecks so IMHO they are either woefully ill informed or they are pro-Russia. Unfortunately they are the only non-paywalled site I could find. I hope some of you can do better.